Out with the old in with the new .375 Ruger

taylorce1

Well I finally got to shoot this rifle. We had a break in the weather on Saturday afternoon so I grabbed my Big Game portabale bench and my targets walked out in the pasture and fired off a few rounds @ 65 yards.

This is my first step into big bore rifles and I only fired off 9 rounds as the recoil was quite noticable. While recoil was tolerable it is definatly a step up from my .30-06. Accuracy was pretty darn good as I only used the rest on the bench instead of bringing any sand bags with me.

As I work up to the recoil of this rifle I'm sure my groups will improve. Here is my best 3 shot group:
Target.jpg

Scorch

Shooting a .375 from the bench might qualify you as mentally unstable. If not before shooting it, maybe afterwards. ;)

Tip: take a half-full bag of shot with you to go between you and the rifle if you are going to do much bench work with that rifle. It will soften the blow to your shoulder, but not your wallet.

All in all, that beast shoots well!

taylorce1

Shooting a .375 from the bench might qualify you as mentally unstable. If not before shooting it, maybe afterwards.

Tip: take a half-full bag of shot with you to go between you and the rifle if you are going to do much bench work with that rifle. It will soften the blow to your shoulder, but not your wallet.

All in all, that beast shoots well!

Scorch, it was 38 outside when I shot so I had a pretty heavy coat on when I shot this rifle. I did the first 3 shots with out any recoil protection to see what it was like. The next 6 I was wearing my PAST recoil pad under my coat and much lighter than half a bag of shot. I can't recommend these pads enough, they are much cheaper and quieter than a break and work with all rifles. I could have shot more rounds but the light was fading fast as it was after 5pm when I was able to shoot.

$53 a box of ammunition:eek:, can't wait until I get enough brass to reload.

I felt it shot pretty well too as I wasn't shooting from a proper bench with a good solid rest.:D

rr2241tx

Nice shooting! Good idea with the PAST too. I put up a standing rest for the testosterone-poisoned nephews who decided they NEEDED .300 WinMags to shoot whitetails. It was pretty basic, just an old telephone pole with angled holes drilled into it that would hold a section of closet rod at a slight angle. Same could be done with a pressure treated 4x4 or a landscape timber. Big bores are a lot more fun standing than sitting, IMO.