Ordered my 1851 .36 Navy today and ...

Smokin_Gun

Smokin,.....Here's a question for you about the Euroarms/ASP '58 Rem Armys. Would they accept the Kirst .44 Colt conversion cyl., and if so, .....the Pietta or Uberti flavor? Just wondering.

Nope won't fit not even the c&b cyl.s but R&D Gunshop said they'd make me what I wanted if I sent my Gun I to them. They said that about ASM's I imagine Euroarms or ASP wouldn't make a differance. And at the same price as what ever caliber or model I'd choose was selling for. I thought that was a right nice offer from them. I think that email was from the owner direct can't recall his name. If I ordered a new Euroarms I might do it. But I think I'll go with the Kirst 6 shot .44Rem for noe...for today anyway...HeHe!

mec

"Mec, the pics of the old Remington are cool. Was FFg powder used because of the age of the revolver? Are you pointing out that maybe the originals had chambers close to or a little over the groove diameters in the barrels? I've wanted to know what originals had in the grooves and chambers for a long time. Especially the Colts: et al."

A guy sent me those because he knew I was intersted in the chamber diameter. So far as I know, he didn't measure the bore. Years before he had shot it with .454 or .451 ball and got a chain fire that un-nerved him. This time, he got some .457s and shot the targets you see. so far as revolvers go, the idea situation is that the chamber mouths should not be smaller than the largest portion of the bore. you want the bullet to be oversize or bore size when it enters so that you wont have to depend on obturation for a good seal or have the hot powder gasses escaping past an undersized bullet.
this is true for modern revolvers and I suspect represents the ideal for Percussion. However if the Revolver works and shoots accurately, I don't worry about it. My Uberti chambers and barrel throats all measure .450 either across the diameter or a pounded slug. There is the possiblity that I could be off .001 either way as I am no great shakes with a caliper. Nevertheless, all of these revolvers regularly turn in groups that would shame a lot of mid -20th century target revolvers. -- Not quite as often as a k 38, not evey time I whack away at a target, but regularly enough for me not to worry about whether or not I'm shooting an accurate revolver.

Oldelm

Ole Dragoon & Smokin,.......that's too bad you just about got the Kirst cylinder into the ASP, but not quite. It'd be interesting to compare cyl. dia of the Kirst 6 shot .44 to the c&b cyl. of the ASP..

But I think I'll go with the Kirst 6 shot .44Rem for noe...for today anyway...HeHe!

In what frame will you put that?

Smokin_Gun

I'll be puttin that in Dave's Uberti when it gets here... screw the bore size...HeHe. Thanks to your target pic I made up my mind .456 is fine with me:cool:

I think I will be getting a clip pin also and removing the lever till I make or buy an ejector and tube...

Oldelm

Smokin,..oooooh, now I see! That Uberti should be a good candidate for the 6 shot .44 Rem Kirst. Well, one never knows, .....the bore on the soon to be yours Uberti just may be smaller than .456. There was a guy over on the SASS forum not too long ago that said he had an Uberti .44 Rem with a pretty small bore,...can't remember what it was. He even got Alchemista (aka Pietta) to post in the thread a bit about the bore sizes of Piettas. Anyway,..I'll be curious as to what your new Rem sluggs at.

Smokin_Gun

Ok Oldelm I'll have to check that out... I most definately will gently push the hell outta one a them .490 balls down it and let you know...
thanks fur yur support! LoL!