ordered me a Hi Power

headbangerJD

I've been searching for that perfect handgun (for me) and have recently decided to give the Browning Hi Power a shot since it is widely regarded as being one of the greatest pistols ever made. I was going to get a 1911 but the price of 9mm vs 45acp swayed me to the Hi Power. I ordered a like-new MKIII yesterday for $669. Time will tell if I've finally found my perfect pistol.

Feel free to comment on the Browning MKIII or offer advice for me for when I finally get my hands on it. Also, can someone tell me about the mag safety, I've come across a few threads about removing it.

Thanks

Last edited:

farmer-dave

You'll love it, removing the mag disconnect simply lightens the trigger. Most people have good luck using mecgar 15 round mags although 13 round mags are standard.

Last edited:

hhersh

Hi Power mag disconnect...

Removing the mag disconnect has many plusses...it not only makes the trigger pull lighter and smoother, but it also allows the magazine to drop free of the grip (ala mod.1911). I use the Mec-gar 15 rounders in my old beauty, a 1969 "T'' model. They have functioned perfectly in it. I think you will probably become a huge fan of the Hi Power as most owners do. Good luck and good shooting...Harold

Cliff47

Excellent decision...you will enjoy the Hi-Power enough to pass down to your offspring...they finally got rid of the old manual safety and put something you can get a purchase on to set on/off. My preference is the older Commander style hammer (the round one) over the spur (kept chewing on the back of my hand). Concur on the Mec-Gar mags, best mag on the market for any pistol.

WVsig

Solid choice. It is my favorite 9mm handgun. Simply feels right in my hands. I suggest shooting it stock for a bit. Then send it off to someone like Wildalaska and get a nice custom job with C&S parts.

I love the C&S wide safety, commander hammer, wide trigger and sear on mine. Simply makes a great 9mm one of the best in the stable.

TylerD45ACP

I dont own a Hi-Power however fired one at the range 2 guys let me borrow theirs. Both MKIII's (one had a crimson trace on it). I am a 1911 guy and own a S&W1911 45ACP and I shoot the best with 1911's. They wanted to try my 1911 so I tried their Hipowers. All I could think was WOW, this would/should be my 9mm(Don't own one yet, a hipower I mean, I own 9mm's). They responded so well from the moment I picked it up until it was empty. Two different Hipowers and I shot the same with them laser and no. Quicker followups with the laser though ;). I knew then it was an excellent pistol, I hope you enjoy yours.

Coltman 77

I love the Hi Power, bought my first one (a T Series in the mid '70's) and started carrying it immediately.

BHPs are world class, top tier 9mm handguns. Accurate and extremely reliable.

Congratulations on your purchase OP! You got one heck of a good deal. :D

Please get back to us with a range report as soon as you can.

Here's a picture of my well worn, first BHP.

DSCN0895.jpg

Amin Parker

I have a T series, a 75 and a 76 C series pistols.

There is nothing else like a Browning high power. Its the gun i love the most and depend on. I trust my life and the life of my family, business and possessions to my Brownings every single day.

They have never ever failed me. I keep my mag safety in place in case of a weapon retention scenario and i agree on the Mec Gar 15 round magazines.

I can go on and on singing its praises. It costs more because its better

Congratulations, you gonna grow to love that pistol and it will probably be the one you will never sell.

HisSoldier

I recently went through a period of looking at the HP. In my reading I found one opinion of a major source that said the basic gun does not have the accuracy potential of the 1911.

I shouldn't have let that effect me, but it did. I don't know how the firing train is designed, but if it's asymmetrical it makes sense that it wouldn't be as accurate as the symmetrical balanced forces in the 1911 firing train, plus, the 1911 has such a common base of knowledge of tweaking the trigger pull down and crisp.

My goal was the earlier one like WVsig shows. I'd still love to find one.

TylerD45ACP

As mentioned before get rid of the disconnect for the mag for a sweeter trigger. I don't know how big you hands are but the hammer might bite you. I would get a commander style hammer. Maybe you could even get Spiegel Grips for it as well, they are excellent for HP's. The sights will probably be suffcient but while its at the gunsmith(for the disconnect) you might want to have the feed ramp polished and get some new sights. I dont know what you prefer but thats all up to you. These are all opinions that would be awesome upgrade IMHO, it would make a beast Hi-Power. Its your pistol so do whatever and have fun. I am sure you will NOT regret the buy. Im envious ;).

headbangerJD

I have relatively small hands, which is one reason I didn't like the ergo's of the Glocks and Beretta 96 I used to own. I loved almost everything about the Glocks and Beretta except for their grip size and the 40sw recoil.

Nero45

I've got two HP clones. Good guns but for the mag disconect I've found a good way to smooth it out and keep it working. Polish it and I mean really go to town on it so that is very smooth. Then take the spring that pushes the disconect out and trim it down so that it still works but doesn't put as much pressure on the mag. My one has a very nice crisp break like a 1911 and the law shouldn't have a problem with what I've done.

LUPUS

The King of Nines..

Absolutely, BHP is the 9x19 mm pistols which all the others are compared with. It is the high capacity heaven for small hands and short fingers. With its pretty compact grip area, it is incredible how it is easy to conceal and carry in a IWB holster besides its heft and size. Ones the trigger pull is tricked out, it is one hack of a accurate pistol, I mean real accurate.

No need to say that I am a real fan of the BHP.
Congrats and enyoy your new pride and joy pistol.

Best.

VTRich

You are going to love the Hi-Power. You got a great price on a new one too!

I have a few myself.

My favorite is a late T-Series with a Tangant site, in like-new condition.

Hipower_1.jpg

Hipower_2.jpg

And this is a 1952 Hi Power with the internal extractor.

HiPowerB_1.jpg

HiPowerB_2.jpg

HiPowerB_3.jpg

headbangerJD

I got my Hi Power yesterday...

and all I can say is wow. This gun is perfect. It fits my hand like a glove, and I love the 1911-esque design and lines. I think I've finally found my perfect gun.
Range results and pics will be up soon :)

gyvel

Be advised that there is much controversy over removing the magazine disconnector. There was a pages long thread on another forum about cases in court where a Hi-Power with removed mag disc. was used in a self defense situation and the slimeball county attorney turned the tables against the shooter claiming he had more or less deliberately enhanced the deadliness of the weapon, etc., etc. None other than Massad Ayoob contiruted to the thread.

I personally think any such tactic in court in a self defense situation is an abomination to our judicial system, but lawyers seem to get away with it, and juries are generally NOT sympathetic to the shooters.

Having said that, I have removed the mag disc. from all of my Hi-Powers and it improves the trigger pull 1000%, but I don't carry them for self defense.