OR Pastor won AR-15, could face charges

Snyper

I also heard he used church money to buy the tickets so there may be some other charges brought.

The part that bothers me:

Whether or not Lucas will be prosecuted remains to be seen, according to a spokesman for the Oregon State Police, who are looking into the case.
I hope this is only because they state police only just got the case. There's no exception in the law for soft-hearted (or soft-headed) ministers. If the guy broke the law, he should be charged and prosecuted, just like anyone else. Anything less only contributes to disrespect for the rule of law.

Old Bill Dibble

Be nice if everyone who broke the law was charged, prosecuted, convicted and sentenced.

The Prosecutor need proper evidence to do so. The State Police don't speak for the prosecutor either.

Targa

Makes me love my Pastor. I cut out of church early one day after the service, during praise and worship, in order to get to a gun show a few blocks away. Long behold, there was my Pastor about three people ahead of me buying a ticket. I told him that I expected this kind of behavior from me but from him...tisk..tisk..:D.

Old Bill Dibble

Our pastor is crazy about hunting. He takes his kids and grand kids as well. I know he owns at least on AR and has said that is his go to gun if someone breaks in his house to go after his family. He said he would "let them steal the silver but not his little girl".

Different sects I imagine have different rules.

rickyrick

I'm sorry to say he should get prosecuted.
Oregon asked for UBCs, they got them... Enforce it. Passing a gun to his buddy is what they wanted to prevent.
It's on Portland mainstream media today.

FITASC

Maybe take away his church's tax-exempt status and see the holy hell (pun intended) that erupts........

olddav

I do find this story amusing, sad and ironic. He paid more than 100% above the value of the rifle (so it can be destoryed), used church funds, and violated the law (unlawful tranfer of a firearm) as a result could incure a fine in the $6000.00 range. Cant help but wonder if he feels he spent his time and the churches money wisely.:D

DaleA

Cant help but wonder if he feels he spent his time and the churches money wisely.

Well after solving hunger, unemployment, the education gap and drug use what else did he have to do besides take on 'big guns'?

OcelotZ3

The pastor noted that it was the people who didn't want the law in the first place who are pushing for it to be enforced. He thought it was ironic.

Even more ironic however is that HE was FOR the law to be put in place, and he's probably the first one to suffer the wrath of it.

Koda94

rickyrick said:
I'm sorry to say he should get prosecuted.
Oregon asked for UBCs, they got them... Enforce it. Passing a gun to his buddy is what they wanted to prevent.
to clarify, Oregon did NOT ask for it (SB941). Oregon did not even get to vote on it. It was rammed down our throat by anti gun majority party in office in Oregon under Oregon’s emergency clause. I’m not certain how it works except the law is effective the day its signed and it was not on our ballots we did not get to vote for it.

Koda94

The pastor noted that it was the people who didn't want the law in the first place who are pushing for it to be enforced. He thought it was ironic.

The gun rights community here fought hard against this law (SB941) to amend it to protect lawful individuals from becoming criminals for doing exactly what he did with the gun - give it to someone temporarily for safekeeping (when the owner didn’t have the means). Of several proposals presented by gun rights proponents to make this law work, all of them were literally ignored. We didn’t even get to vote on it

44 AMP

Staff

yes, its terribly ironic that we demand that people obey laws we don't like.

Like it or not, the law is the law, until it is no longer the law.

As far as I'm concerned, the Pastor doesn't get a pass on breaking the law, FOR ANY REASON.

DaleA

After Sandy Hook wasn't there a TV 'journalist' that showed off a high capacity magazine on the air and wasn't it illegal to have one at that location?

I remember the event (I think) but I don't remember what happened to him.

Spats McGee

Administrator
DaleA said:
After Sandy Hook wasn't there a TV 'journalist' that showed off a high capacity magazine on the air and wasn't it illegal to have one at that location?

I remember the event (I think) but I don't remember what happened to him.
That would have been David Gregory, on a show filmed in Washington, DC. Nothing happened to him. We discussed it here.

rickyrick

Yes, I forgot how Oregon UBC law got through. Oregon also has an unelected governor in office too, perfect match. But, lawmakers still act on behalf of their voters. Not long ago, Governor Brown talked of more strengthening of gun laws.

Old Bill Dibble

I can't believe his congregation isn't up in arms to get rid of him. Spending thousands on gun just to throw the gun away seems a huge waste compared to what they could have done with that money.