Opinions on SP101

Hunter0924

I have one with the hammer and I love it, great little pistol that is very reliable.
My range buddy carries one with the bobbed hammer as does my mother.
Out of the 3 pistols there has not been a problem between them.

wilson133

I've got one with a bobbed hammer and I had it ported. It is the only snubby that is practical with full power .357 loads as accurate and quick follow up shots are important in self defense situations. The porting made a noticeable difference in muzzle rise and the speed of the second shot.

j-a-r

The Ruger SP101 is an excellent little heavy duty .357 snubby. Very reliable and will last a long time.

J-a-r

trigger45

miss mine

had one 3" and a buddy traded me his bobbed hammer for mine with a spur. neatest little gun i ever had. but like all other perfect guns i traded it. conceals well in just a t shirt. neither me or my friend have ours any more. we plan to get another and swap hammers again.

dahermit

sp101

I have a 3" sp101. Two concerns: Firstly, the trigger pull is different than that of a Smith. It feels a little "spongy" to me. I have swapped out the factory springs for Trapper Gun Works lighter springs.
Secondly, the Ruger grips leave much to be desired. Swapped them out for Hogue grips...much better fit to hand and secure feel.
I would opt for a little shorter barrel for concealed carry and would rather have a spurless hammer...a spur on a hammer serves no legitimate purpose on a personal defense double action revolver.

katana8869

I personally feel that the SP101 may very well be the best .357 snub available today.

+1. I love both of mine. I have owned and carried alot of different handguns, but I will never part with these.

003-1.jpg

John Moses

I personally feel that the SP101 may very well be the best .357 snub available today.
The best is always a lively discussion. And I would join the fray in disagreement.

Still, there is no doubt that the SP101 is in the discussion.

;)

Ranger61

I had a SP 101 but could never really like it. I find that it was only modestly accurate and with the weight and bulk of the SP 101 that I found myself tending to my 2.5" model 19 or my 4 " Taurus 627, so I sold it.

Gideon46

I have the SP101 in 3" w/Hammer; I love the gun BUT; for concealed carry I think there are a lot better choices when you consider concealability and capacity. It is to heavy for pocket so it's on the belt which means you have to compare it with what else you could have on the belt. It's only 5 shots and the cylinder buldge does make it harder to conceal and may even make it more uncomfortable depending on your build.

I carry a Colt New Agent .45 that is smaller and thinner than my SP101. It's every bit as rugged; it's 8 rounds of .45 with faster reload. Even with practice a revolver reload is slower than an equally practiced auto reload. And my colt new agent is more comfortable on my hip.

I love my SP101 and I do think it's a great small frame .357! With Pachmyr grips, shooting .38's is a pleasure and .357's are manageable, however, there's less perceived recoil with my Colt New Agent .45 than there is with the SP101 and .357s!

Still I carry mine sometimes when I'm working or out in the woods just because I love it. It's not nearly as accurate as most of my other guns so I wouldn't think it too well suited for any kind of hunting but it's okay accurate for any defensive situation.

For dedicated concealed carry I'd go with the 2" barrel and bobbed hammer. I'd also be sure any grips I put on it would work with speed loaders. I've tried a lot of grips on mine and truthfully, most grips don't work with speedloaders! I'm surprised by the number of custom grip makers who make grips that won't work well with speed loaders!

I think you should get it for the collection but I would consider an S&W 60 for carry. It's more compact, handles .38's beautifully and is still heavy enough to handle a lighter .357 if you're willing to practice a bit.

An S&W 60 will likely be my next snubbie purchase.

God Bless

joegator

I have one with the 2" barrel and it is an excellent gun and very good looking. I also have a Smith 642. I carry the 642 much more often due to the smaller size and reduced weight. A lot of 101 owners carry 38+p rather than .357 which brings me back to the 642. I've found myself using the 642 as a carry gun and and the 101 as a range gun which defeats the purpose.

If your going to use a good holster and use it for magnum loads then it is a solid gun