Opinions on SP101

Jeffenwulf

Ladies and Gents. I'm researching which .38/.357 revolver I'm going to start looking for. I've checked out about 6,000 threads on TFL and I'm leaning towards a Ruger SP101 with the concealed hammer. This is still several months into the future, so I still have plenty of time. Do you have anything ill to say about this particular handgun? If you have shot something similar, how does it compare? Thanks for your time.

-Jeff

Wheel-Gunner

I personally feel that the SP101 may very well be the best .357 snub available today. If I was going to strictly shoot .38s then I would go with a J frame, but the SP101 has a little extra weight that makes shooting it with
.357s comfortable.

What's not to like? You will be totally satisfied!

Mosin44az

It's way too heavy for pocket carry, but OK for belt or other supported carry.

I think felt recoil is a bit heavy for all the steel it has--I stuck to 110-grain .357s max. My Smith M66 snub is much more comfortable with heavy loads, though of course it is larger and heavier still. Maybe see if you can rent one at a range somewhere, to see how it feels to you with various loads.

If the trigger is rough, a good gunsmith can smooth it.

It will last forever.

Kreyzhorse

I own both a S&W Airweight and a Ruger SP101. In my opinion, the S&W is a better more practical carry gun due to its advantage in both weight and a much better trigger.

With that said, the Ruger is a still a very fine gun. As mentioned, it's heavy. In my opinion, too heavy for practical pocket carry. It is more of a belt gun. Can you carry it in a pocket? Yes, will you after the novelty wears off? Maybe. A gun left at home is no use.

From a trigger standpoint, the SP has a pretty gritty trigger. It does get better with use however. I dry fired mine at least 500 times and the gritty feeling eventually smoothes out. Not a big deal and now it isn't a terrible trigger. It certainly doesn't compare to the trigger on my Airweight however.

If you plan on shooting .357s, the SP clearly has the advantage over the S&W. All and all, the Ruger SP is a very good gun and I doubt you would regret your decision, however, based on needs and use, there maybe other options to consider.

SAWBONES

Out of the box, many modern J-frame S&W triggers and most Ruger SP101 triggers are poor, with gritty, stacking pulls, though returns aren't too bad by comparison.

The older J-frame Smiths were typically much better, but no more. (L-frame Smiths are often still possessed of acceptable stock trigger actions.)

Just try to be comfortable with the idea that it would be a good thing to have a skilled 'smith improve the trigger on any compact 5-shot revolver you may buy. (Of course, you might be lucky enough to get one with an acceptable trigger out of the box, but that hasn't been my experience.)

That said, the SP101 is an excellent gun, and its trigger action can be markedly improved without loss of ignition reliability. It's a holster gun (belt, shoulder) not a pocket gun, but at about 25 oz, still quite easy to carry. It can be purchased or modified to have a bobbed (not concealed) hammer, and will handle .357 Magnum loads with greater comfort and less wear than any of the J-frame Smiths.

I have three SP101s and a dozen J-frames in scandium, titanium and aluminum alloy as well as with steel frames, and the lighter weight J-frames serve very well as pocket guns, and are comfortable to shoot with .38 Special+P rounds, including the several varieties of 158gr LSWCHP+P and Gold Dot's 135gr "short barrel" .38 Special+P JHP, but all of the J-frames (even the steel ones) are uncomfortable and slow to shoot with .357 Magnum loads.
The SP101 OTOH handles .357 Magnum rounds much better and with less discomfort.

Actually carrying .357 Magnum rounds for CCW in these little guns is probably a bit optimistic, but it's at least a "doable" proposition with the SP101s IME (even though follow-up shots will still be slow), whereas in the J-frames I stick with .38 Special+P.

tex45acp

jeffenwulf,

I have had both the 2" & 3" SP-101's and they are reliable to a fault. Both shoot to point of aim and are accurate. I carry them both in a Tucker Gunleather IWB holster and also carry the 2" DAO in my right front pocket in a DeSantis pocket holster. You will not be dissatisfied with the gun. They are a bit heavier than most but for me thats no problem. If and when I let loose one of the magnum rounds I want fast followup for a second shot if I would need one. The heavier gun also makes practicing much more comfortable. My wife currently has my 2" DAO loaded with Speer Gold-Dot +P 125-grain GDHP and I pity the poor fool that makes her use it. Here are a couple of pics IWB & OWB carry here in Texas:
Tucker2.jpg

DonHumeHolster.jpg

358minus1

I love mine. 2 inch DAO, appendix carry, wood boot grip, disappears even under a white tee shirt. Pocket carry is not its strong suit, but that's why they make smaller guns.

Kragax

Im suprised by the comments here, I had one and although it was well made, it was the least acurate gun I owned.
I sold mine.

kayakersteve

awesome

This is the most durable and reliable revolver I have ever owned - Mine is accurate for a snubbie and a joy to shoot, even with heavy loads. Just Do IT!

SAWBONES

I had one and although it was well made, it was the least acurate (sic) gun I owned.

Some truly aren't sighted to POA, but all should be "close", with 158gr loads.
Was your problem accuracy or precision?

Inaccuracy is a real potential problem with fixed-sight revolvers, since the issue can't really be recognised till after purchase.
If the problem is merely one of inaccurate elevation, changing the front sight height is a relatively easy fix. OTOH, if windage is off to a significant degree, adjustment of barrel inclination with a lead babbitt bar-hammer is the only good solution, and it seems that few gunsnmiths are willing or know how to employ these for the purpose nowadays.

Sarge

The lead babbit works fine (and did for years) on K frames with 4" or longer barrels. I would not choose this method for revolvers with short, stiff, heavily-shrouded barrels like the SP series.

A better windage correction method for these guns is to turn the barrel about 5 degrees in whatever direction it needs to go, and make elevation corrections as already mentioned. It worked well with this GP-100 and I have also used it on SP's.

My experience with the SP-101's is that they are fully as accurate as most of the 4" service revolvers I have carried or was issued.

MeproSPDA.jpg

Jeffenwulf

I'll likely stick to carrying my G26, but I do very much want a solid, dependable revolver. Weight isn't so much of an issue. As long as it's mechanically sound and I don't have to worry about timing or other known issues I think I'll be happy with it. How could you be unhappy with a gun that works?

I had one and sold it.

I had the one pictured below. I really liked it but it was not the perfect snubbie for carry. It was too wide and too heavy. It was decent at the range but why would I want a small revolver for the range? I want a small revolver for carry.

It was a well built gun, it had a decent trigger, and it was a a handsome gun too...but...the S&W snubbies are built just as well, have much better triggers, and look even better. I am also not crazy about the lack of a full grip frame on the SP101 either.

If this is going to be an EDC I would go with a S&W m60, m640, or m649 before getting the SP101...or one of the airweight Smith's if you just want .38spl+p and not the magnums.

Now if it is going to be a hiking or camping gun I might suggest the SP101 with a 3" or 4" barrel over the Smiths. Even then I would probably recommend going up to a S&W m686 or Ruger GP100.

I would probably even recommend getting the S&W m686 over the SP101 for daily carry. If you do not mind the extra bulk and weight I think the m686 would be a better choice than the SP101.

RugerSP101.jpg

Kragax

It was a windage problem. I also had a S&W Mod 60. The Chief Special in stainless, much more accurate. For .357 I now use a Security Special w/ 4.5. Im happy with it.

John Moses

The Ruger is a fine weapon. It would not be my first choice due to weight and the fact that they usually need some help to get their triggers smooth.

My preference for a .38 would be one of the old Smiths with the hammer shroud. For a .357 the 3 inch model 60 would be good.

Having said that, Rugers are very good values and extremely tough.

:cool:

MLeake

SP101 trigger

$20 in parts and 20min of gunsmith labor, and my SP101 trigger doesn't give anything up to a S&W.

By concealed hammer, do you mean a bobbed hammer? I've never seen a Centennial type SP101, but it would be cool if they made one.

The SP101 is heavier than the Smiths. It's not as comfortable to carry. However, it is much more pleasant to shoot.

It's also easier to conceal than a 686 or GP100, even if it doesn't weigh that much less.

Cheers,

M

rugersp101

I keep mine loaded with Eldorado Starfire 125gr. .38+P's. I don't find the weight bad for daily carry and the recoil is so little that follow up shots in double action volleys are very accurate.
100_2782.jpg

100_2783.jpg