Opinions on FEG Hi-Powers?

mr bolo

Hungarian PJK 9HP

mines one of the early imports marked KASSNAR , everything looks the same as a vintage HP

except it has the M1911 style slide stop

imported around 1985

original Browning HP grips, magazines, recoil springs, etc all fit my pistol.

Attachments

• HungarianHP.jpg
    HungarianHP.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

WVsig

I am curious about whether magazines are interchangeable on most of these High Power clones.

Yes Browning/FN and Mecgar aftermarket mags work in FEGs, FMs and most other clones.

Not a fan.

Check out CDI Sales on www.gunbroker.com he has used Browning High Powers for sale for awesome prices. They're brought in from Israeli military / police. Who I've trained with. So they're a little beat up, but work like champs. You could always get it refinished down the road. :)

carguychris

WVsig said:
Both [the crossbolt and no-crossbolt] versions of the 9PM were marked PJK-9HP by the importer KBI so there is even more confusion. Its like FEG adopted the FN cryptic serial numbering and naming conventions.
Yup, that's what I'm talking about.

I spent the $0.99 and read the book. :) At least four distinct variants were sold by Kassnar / K.B.I. as the PJK-9HP, with the FÉG model number listed first:
  1. P9: Small safety lever, FN-style slide stop, Browning lockup
  2. P9M: Extended safety lever, modified slide stop, Browning lockup
  3. P9M: Extended safety lever, modified slide stop, S&W lockup
  4. FP9: Ventilated sight rib, Browning lockup (safety and slide stop not discussed due to lack of information)
Author Jerry Paragien ("jaypee") goes on to state that the P9M is technically not a true BHP clone because of the modified slide stop.

T.G.I. sold P9Ms under the original model designation, using both lockup systems, and Charles Daly sold a hot-rod version of the original Browning-lockup, FN-slide-stop P9 with an extended safety and dovetailed Novak sights.

FWIW the "footprint" is created because the crossbolt is a separate piece that is pressed into place and the ends polished. Paragien speculates that FÉG changed to S&W-style lockup to eliminate these manufacturing steps.
cjwils said:
I am curious about whether magazines are interchangeable on most of these High Power clones.
Paragien claims that the SAO magazines all interchange freely. He does not unequivocally state that the same is true for the DA/SA P9R.

Interestingly, FWIW Paragien writes that the P9R is mechanically more of a heavily modified S&W Model 59 copy with BHP cosmetics, rather than a BHP with a DA trigger!

Last edited:

scoobysnacker

I bought a FEG HP clone from CDI for just over $200, and it runs fine. It's been parkerized, and like others have noted, you can't find the import marks.

WVsig

It should arrive at my FFL on Monday. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Any update? There is speculation that some of these pistols may have the S&W lock up but still be SAO.

Sparks1957

Okay, it is here and here's the verdict. It is a Gen 2 P9m, SAO with a S&W lock-up.

Truly like new condition, still dripping with cosmoline. Will get it cleaned up and take it out Saturday. Pics when it is more presentable ;)

kerreckt

I love mine. Great accuracy. Interchangeable magazines. Very nice blued finish. High gloss. Same trigger as my HP. If I could figure how to post photos. I have some next to Browning HP.

Sparks1957

Finally got a chance to take this pistol to the range this morning. Been crazy busy at work lately, and then some family health issues delayed getting out until today.

Wow, I am impressed. Fired 150 rounds of handloads, Blazer brass, and Freedom Munitions (the latter were HP) with no malfunctions of any kind.

More than that, I shot really well with it and consistently on a paper plate at 25 yards. Only my CZ 75 gives me comparable results.

The sights leave a bit to be desired for visibility, and I'll probably touch them up with some fingernail polish to make them more visible to my old eyes.

Have a feeling I am going to spend a lot of time with this one, and it is whetting my appetite for a real Browning HP.

If I could figure out how to post pics, I would ;)