Opinions on FEG Hi-Powers?

Sparks1957

Been wanting a Hi-Power or clone for some time now, and see that Buds has some listed in 'like new' condition for what seems a reasonable price, around 350.

I wondered what you all think of the gun in terms of workmanship and reliability, and whether that is a decent price for one in that condition.

tallball

I bought mine used for $200 in the late 1980's, or maybe the early 90's. It still functions perfectly. I have slain small game animals, cans, bottles, rotten produce, targets etc with it. I would have to rate it as one of my better firearms purchases ever.

James K

Member In Memoriam
I never owned one but have worked on and fired several, and they seem well made and reliable. But a note of caution. Apparently the Hungarians either wanted to saved time or didn't care, but they didn't tumble the parts, with the result that the edges are razor sharp and working on those guns can be a bloody experience (in the entirely literal meaning of that word). Keep a supply of adhesive bandages handy!

Jim

Deaf Smith

The FEG P-35s are fine. Mine worked and shot like a, er, High Power. Quite reliable. $350, if in good shape, no rust, is a decent price.

Deaf

Kilroy08

Double check which model number it is.

There are two versions. One is a part for part clone, the other has a simplified Smith & Wesson style barrel locking system.

The one I have is marked as a PJK-9HP and is a part for part clone. The only difference is that mine is a later production and has an extended slide release and safety from the factory.

drobs

Add about $75 to $100 to that price and you can get a nice Israeli PD surplus FN Hi Power.

Check this dealers auctions:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Semi-Auto-Pistols/BI.aspx?Sort=5&IncludeSellers=2621012

Far right FN came from him:
8071383712_17cc62a120_b.jpg

Ibmikey

What Drobs said: Aim has som super Isreali police pistols, the three I bought are like new once I removed the ugly enamel and my buddy did an excellent low luster blue on each. The FEG pistols are nice but stay with the original HP design.

WVsig

The FEG Hi Power clones are good guns and are very true to the original design. They function well and at one time came with a very nice blue finish. At $350 I would consider the true FN surplus gun that is a bit more finish challenged because they can be cleaned up as others have stated. The black enamel that many of the contract FNs shipped with sucks. It is much worse than the current MKIII epoxy and is prone to chipping and flaking.

These Israeli trade ins from which are IDF guns IIRC were carried often and show a lot of external wear but generally have solid internals. If I were looking for one I would look at CDI on gunbroker he does a much better job with the import mark. 99% of the time you cannot find it. He is also very conservative with his rating. A fair gun = good gun. Good = VG etc...

carguychris

Kilroy08 said:
Double check which model number it is.

There are two versions. One is a part for part clone, the other has a simplified Smith & Wesson style barrel locking system.
Although I don't have much firsthand familiarity with these pistols, it's been widely reported that the BHP-style and S&W style-FÉG pistols can't be conclusively differentiated by model number – identically marked models were made both ways.

Supposedly the key is to look for the outline or "footprint" of the frame crossbolt on the frame above the trigger. Those pistols with the "footprint" are authentic BHP clones.

There used to be an "FÉG Hi Power Blog" post that explained this in great detail with lots of pictures of both variants, including a side-by-side comparison of a later-style FÉG and a S&W M5906 to show the similarities; however, it has apparently been taken down, and I'm unaware where it might be archived. Until it surfaces, here's a link that at least shows what the "footprint" looks like:

https://www.1911forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=446348

Last edited:

Sparks1957

Thanks for all the input. Some positives, some negatives. Not quite sure what I should do, so I'll think about it some more. One of the problems of buying sight unseen, one is never quite sure what they are getting.

James K

Member In Memoriam
"The fact that one is double action, and the other single action should be a pretty easy way to tell the difference......"

A surprising number of people, even some pretty gun knowledgeable folks, think the BHP is double action due to the appearance of the trigger.

Jim

WVsig

Thanks for all the input. Some positives, some negatives. Not quite sure what I should do, so I'll think about it some more. One of the problems of buying sight unseen, one is never quite sure what they are getting.

I have never bought a used gun from Buds so i don't know if they are conservative on their ratings. It is luck of the draw. The same is true for AIM IMHO. If you are local to Buds you can go see what they have in stock but often there is a price difference between online and what is stocked in the store.

Also another reason I like to buy from CDI on gunbroker because the pictures in the auction are of the actual gun that you are looking at buying.

For example this one for $460

pix103328095.jpg

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/559316034

Or this one for $425

pix573233466.jpg

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/558584917

carguychris

Bill DeShivs said:
The fact that one is double action, and the other single action should be a pretty easy way to tell the difference......
WVsig said:
The slide mounted thumb safety is also a dead giveaway.
I'm talking about the single-action PJK-9HP and not the DA/SA P9R or P9M. [EDIT: The P9M is SAO; I got my FÉGs mixed up.] The 9HP was supposedly produced both with traditional BHP crossbolt lockup and S&W-style ramped-barrel / shouldered-frame lockup, depending on when the individual pistol was made, and AFAIK the only way to tell them apart externally is the "footprint".

At any rate, the contents of the "FÉG Hi Power Blog" I discussed earlier have apparently been compiled in a book called Decoding the FÉG Hi Power by Jerry Paragien. The book is available for $0.99 on Kindle, and there are much worse ways to spend a buck, so I'll report what the book says as soon as I have time to download it and read it. :)

Last edited:

WVsig

I'm talking about the single-action PJK-9HP and not the DA/SA P9R or P9M. The 9HP was supposedly produced both with traditional BHP crossbolt lockup and S&W-style ramped-barrel / shouldered-frame lockup, depending on when the individual pistol was made, and AFAIK the only way to tell them apart externally is the "footprint".

OK I know what you are talking about. There are 2 versions of the P9M manufactured by FEG. Both look like a BHP externally except for one difference.

Gen 1 is a BHP except that the slide stop is different and more like a 1911 style. the Gen 2 looks just like it except that it lacks a lug The Gen 2 was designed by FEG to with a the barrel/slide/frame lock-up like the S&W M39/59. You can tell from the outdside of the gun because it does not have a "footprint", which houses the cross bolt, on the frame above the trigger guard like this one has.

PICT0520.jpg

Instead it looks like this:

PICT0517.jpg

This info is contained in "jaypee"'s book Decoding the FÉG Hi Power. He posts on most forums using the handle jaypee. Both of these versions of the 9PM were marked PJK-9HP by the importer KBI so there is even more confusion. Its like FEG adopted the FN cryptic serial numbering and naming conventions.

Sparks1957

Well, Buds does confirm that these are SA pistols, so I believe that they are the BHP clones.

I may just buy it, I can always sell it if it isn't what I'm looking for.

tallball

There is nothing to be worried about, imho. They took the design and did a good job of copying it. I don't even know how many thousands of rounds I've put through mine. Here is a gratuitous poor-quality cell phone picture:

FEGHighPower_zps3d293b0c.jpg