Opinions of the Kel-Tec P32

Nathan

I used to own one. Great gun, but 32 acp isn’t much of a caliber.

The CW380 is about the same size and shoots a much better caliber and much more shootable.

Forte S+W

HP's probably won't expand from the short barrel anyway.

The ones I mentioned do.

I used to own one. Great gun, but 32 acp isn’t much of a caliber.

The CW380 is about the same size and shoots a much better caliber and much more shootable.

.380 ACP factually isn't all that much of a better performer than .32 ACP, and I honestly trust Kel-Tec more than Kahr because Kel-Tec doesn't ask if you've fired 250+ rounds through your gun before they'll let you send it in for service if you get a bad egg.

BeornLS

I’ve carried a P32 off and on for years, always loved it. The Fiocchi FMJ ammo has always ran flawless in it.

Mosin44az

I have owned 4 P32s, from back in the day when Kel-tec seemed like the only company making affordable light carry guns. I don’t own any now.

The Ruger LCP in my book beats any small Kel-tec in build quality and reliability, and the .380 is a better cartridge for defense. No question the LCP has taken a ton of sales from Kel-tec over the years.

That said, the P32 is the best Kel-tec in my experience. As you guessed, it’s much easier and more comfortable to shoot than any .380 near its size, and I found it accurate even when fired fast, which you can do because of a decent trigger and light recoil.

Also, the .32 cartridge doesn’t stress the skimpy Kel-tec construction that much, and reliability improved with the second model fixing the extractor, so I think the P32 is more reliable and durable than the other Kel-tec models . Even so, None of the four P32s I owned was really reliable enough for me to carry, with even the best one finicky about what ammo it would feed reliably, even using only fmjs.

The P32 has its fans, Bill DeShivs being one of the biggest. It’s not a huge risk at normal prices, but don’t expect perfection.

P.S. Rimlock occurs at the rear of the cartridges in the magazine because of the semi-rimmed design of the .32. You have to watch that you don’t override the rim of the cartridge below when loading each round into the mag. Like loading a .22lr semiauto. A drawback of this caliber. Not sure why rimlock is affected by fmj v. jhp. The fmj should feed more reliably and penetrate better.

Last edited:

Capt.Mike

Hard Chrome instead of Stainless is Correct. (I said Stainless)

Again I've Carried mine for 10 or 11 years Every Day with 2 or 3 other things in my pockets, crawled probable 500 yards in attics and crawl spaces SAFELY. I did file the Mag Release Button Down because my Mag was constantly popping out.

I also understand the .32acp is Not a Man Killar Round and I Never Had Any Respect for a .25 Auto until a friend of mine was killed in a Gas Station (by a Jealous Husband). 6 Rounds and he was DOA. Yes, in a showdown I'd probably grab a .22LR but look at the Stats on reliability. HP's in small calibers, No I'd take Ball.

Nathan

.380 ACP factually isn't all that much of a better performer than .32 ACP, and I honestly trust Kel-Tec more than Kahr because Kel-Tec doesn't ask if you've fired 250+ rounds through your gun before they'll let you send it in for service if you get a bad egg.

I’m really having a hard time with 32 ACP isn’t much better than 380 auto.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/pocket-pistol-caliber-gel-test-results/#32ACP

32acp - largest expanded diameter to meet penetration spec (12-18”) 60 gr....0.39”...125%

380 acp - 90gr ...0.52” ...146% at 12-18”

9mm - 147gr.....0.74” ...208%

380 seems squarely in the middle, but definitely more than 32 auto, IMO. I just have a hard time with that 0.39” or 0.31” number for fmj being good.

wild cat mccane

Magguts makes a spring that puts 7 rounds into an LCP/P3AT stock 6 round magazine. They DO NOT make it for the P32.

Therefore, the +1 advantage to the P32 doesn't exist.

I use the Magguts spring in my LCP. It works.

kymasabe

I'm on my second P32.
First one was gen1, I put over 2000 rounds thru it and eventually wore the finish off the slide from use and sweaty pocket carry (SW Florida).
Sold it, bought a gen3 with parkerized slide, approaching 1800 rounds with this one.
Mine (both) ate everything I fed them, not ammo picky, have been 100% reliable. I did however experience rimlock once with a mag full of hollow points, so I now carry one HP in the pipe and FMJ in the mags.
It's my EDC.
My experience has been that they're great guns, reliable, low recoil, easy to maintain. I like them so much, I bought one (gen2) for my daughter, she shoots it regularly, lost track of round count in hers.

Forte S+W

Nathan said:
I’m really having a hard time with 32 ACP isn’t much better than 380 auto.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/poc...results/#32ACP

32acp - largest expanded diameter to meet penetration spec (12-18”) 60 gr....0.39”...125%

380 acp - 90gr ...0.52” ...146% at 12-18”

9mm - 147gr.....0.74” ...208%

380 seems squarely in the middle, but definitely more than 32 auto, IMO. I just have a hard time with that 0.39” or 0.31” number for fmj being good.

Statistical figures look a lot more substantial on paper than they really are in practice. Yes, .380 ACP is larger diameter bullet which in turn expands to an even larger diameter with JHPs compared to .32 ACP, and that's something, but how often do you estimate that said larger diameter bullet is actually enough to make a meaningful difference when it comes to actually hitting a vital organ? In practice, a hit would still be a hit, a miss would still be a miss, and even if the larger diameter of the .380 ACP were enough to score a hit where a .32 ACP would have missed, the difference would amount to the .380 ACP merely grazing a vital organ, resulting in a wound which still would not incapacitate the threat.

Penetration is more important than expansion.

That being said, if you like .380 ACP and feel more confident with it, then by all means carry it. I myself don't own a .32 ACP at present and carry a Ruger LCP chambered in .380 ACP. What's more, my primary carry is a SW40VE chambered in .40 S&W, (a cartridge which I'm very fond of if my username didn't tip you off) which according to the FBI is practically no more effective than 9mm Luger, yet still I choose it over 9mm Luger because I like that the bullet is larger in diameter. So yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm just saying that when it comes right down to it, .380 ACP isn't substantially more effective than .380 ACP, provided that the .32 ACP ammo penetrates deeply enough to be effective in the first place.

Mike38

I bought a Kel-Tec P32 about 4-5 months ago. My first range test was at 5 yards. I figured that would be a good starting point, thinking that would be a average self defense distance. Five shots at a slow fire pace, about 10 seconds between each shot. All 5 shots were with in a 1 inch group using the least expensive ball ammo I could find at Target Sports. Moved target out to 10 yards. Same slow fire pace. All shots with in a 3 inch group. Back to 5 yards at rapid fire, as fast as I could pull the trigger. One flier low that was me, but all with in 3 inches. So, it's plenty accurate. 300+ rounds later, mostly my reloads, and it has run flawlessly. Like the light weight. Sometimes forget I'm even carrying it it's so light. I'm glad I bought it.

The first thing you'll want to do is "deburr" the entire pistol. All cast parting lines on the frame will need to be sanded. There was a line going down the middle of the trigger that was brutal on my finger. Same for the front and back strap. Some people even lightly sand the grips because they tend to dig a bit too much into your hands. I left the grip area alone, as I like the idea of it digging into my hand a bit so it doesn't slip. There isn't much there to hang on to, and don't want it slipping in my hand from recoil. The .32 acp is normally a cat, but in this small of a pistol, it snaps pretty good.

Last edited:

JERRYS.

now that I looked, no one has Kel-tec P32 barrels in stock. wow! I think I need one for an inherited gun that wasn't taken care of.

JohnMoses

I bought a used first gen P32 hard chromed slide for $180. I put 1500 handloads though it and literally wore it out. I just came across the receipt when I sent it back to the factory. The only original parts are the barrel and slide. They even kept the serial number, with an asterisk or something. All at no cost. Is the 32 the wand of death? No, but neither is ANY handgun caliber. Knockdown? Check out Bill Davis shooting himself on utube with 44 mags and 308 rifles.

Forte S+W

JERRYS. said:
now that I looked, no one has Kel-tec P32 barrels in stock. wow! I think I need one for an inherited gun that wasn't taken care of.

Contact Kel-Tec and see if they have any.

Joe_Pike

I've had one and it worked just fine. Traded it for a Ruger LCP. I would rather have a .380. I know people complain about the recoil on the P3AT and LCP but it doesn't bother me at all and I'm old with hands that hurt all of the time. Shoot an Airweight J-frame with 158 +p rounds if you want some recoil.

dgludwig

Much like it's bigger brother, the .32 ACP seems to be adequate for self-defense, provided that you stick exclusively to JHPs that use the Hornady XTP bullet design, that way you'll get a fairly consistent 12" of penetration in Ballistics Gel, which if the FBI is to be believed, translates to adequate penetration to stop a determined attacker with proper shot placement.

If you're concerned with adequate penetration, why not just use hardball? JHP bullets aren't likely to expand anyway, given the relatively low velocity offered by typical .32 ACP ammunition, and hardball is not only cheaper but, imo, less likely to cause trouble chambering a cartridge than most any other type of bullet.

jmr40

I have the 380. I won't get involved in the 32 vs 380 debate other than to say the 32 holds 1 more round and has the ability to hold the slide back. At least I think I'm correct on those points.

The pistol is the least favorite of any that I own. But nothing else is as compact. I don't shoot mine a lot, certainly not recreationally. I take it out and put a few rounds through it occasionally just to practice and verify it still functions.

I don't see this as the type of gun that will hold up to thousands of rounds like bigger guns. I only carry it in extreme situations where it is something that small or nothing.

But while it isn't my favorite gun, it isn't for sale either. It has always functioned and nothing else will fill that role in a gun so small. Except possibly Rugers copy.

I would assume the everything would be the same with the 32.