• Never owned one, don't like them

Votes: 34 10.7%
  • Never owned one, pretty neutral view of them

Votes: 44 13.8%
  • My CC gun is a Taurus, trust my life with it

Votes: 17 5.3%
  • Good plinking gun but wouldn't CC it

Votes: 9 2.8%
  • All my guns are Taurus and I love them all!! Who needs another brand?

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Horrible experiences! Would never.. ever.. touch one again.

Votes: 38 11.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Laker

I carry my Taurus 605 daily. I have put a lot of rounds through it, and the only problems I've ever had were ammo related. I trust my life to it. I recently purchased a Tracker 990 9 round .22 revolver. I've only put a few hundred rounds through it so far with no problems so far. I will purchase more Taurus handguns.

eddiejoe333

I have two Taurus pistols, one 7-shot, .357mag revolver, and one .40 semi-auto. The only complaints I have are that I wish I didn't buy a ported .357, and the FTE's on my PT100. As for the first complaint, I seem to recall being the guy plunking down $30/month for the layaway on the .357, so I can only blame me for the gun I bought. As for the FTE's, I probably should replace the nearly 10year old mags with new ones, and maybe polish the feed ramp a bit more. I have owned a total of 4 Taurus pistols, and I'm considering a PT1911, unless a friend of mine comes up with a reeeeeaaaaaaaaly sweet deal on a S&W M&P .45 he wants to get rid of. I've had Glock semi's and S&W revolvers in .357 and .44magnum in my possession at different times, and I'd have no problem trusting the revolver as is, and the semi when I work on it.

Edward429451

Since Ruger offers numerous similar choices with similar pricing, IMO&E buying a Taurus is not logical.

Ruger should make a Tracker size 5 shot 44.:(
With warmish 44 specials in it it would be an awesome walk around gun.:)

Crankylove

My father is on his second one now............because his first was so out of spec after it passed the Taurus "quality control" that even the people who built it couldnt fix it, so they sent him a replacement, that wasn't even the same model he sent to be repaired, and has many issues of its own. My brother has a .380 semi-auto that took almost 4 years to get it to where it would function for more than 3 rounds......seriously. All of the Taurus firearms that have been in the family have never been reliable from day one, and getting Taurus to admit to and fix the problems takes an act of congress. I will never spend money on one, and if given one, would trade it away on something pretty dang quick.

Qwiks draw

The avatar says it all.

Own quite a few.

Many of the Tauri I own are ove 20+ years old and are going strong.

The older revolvers cylinders are tight, timing is still good, no end shake, nor are there any troubles.

Both pistols, the PT111 Mil/pro and PT22, are both over the 10 year mark.
No problems encountered.

Dureability and longevity are he bywords for my examples.

Bismarck357

I bought my wife a Taurus M85 DA snubnose for her first gun. As my weapons master used to say: The .38 snub is the easy'ist gun in the world to use but one of the hardest to master. As far as quality goes Taurus can be a "mixed bag". Some of them are great,and some it seems they are more concerned with really nice "blueing" then with life-span. You can't beat the price,but I personaly choose to spend a little more when it comes to this kind of investment.
Shop around a bit,you'll be glad you did.

treg

My 605 is my second Taurus revolver and has served as primary ccw for 2 1/2 years now. About 500 rounds down the pipe, it's seen some rough duty and handled it well.
Last week I sent it to Miami for repair of possible owner inflicted damage. Up to this point my vote would reflect a very positive ownership experience. I'm now reserving my vote until I see how CS performs.

madmag

No revolvers

I must admit I have developed the no revolvers view on Taurus. My PT945 has been outstanding, but I would probably not buy a Taurus revolver. I don't have any official QC numbers, but the overall take I get on this and many other threads & forums is more negative than I would like for a revolver.

Now if I have a chance to buy a PT92, 949, or similiar...then no problem.

Skans

My bad experience aside, there's enough other people who have had problems with things breaking on taurus guns that I'd have a problem buying one. I know that every gun manufacturer has turned out some lemons. It happens, but it would be interesting to see what people have to say in an identical thread about:

Sig
Colt
S&W
FN
Steyr

madmag

but it would be interesting to see what people have to say in an identical thread about:

I own, S&W, Colt, Ruger & SA. In all cases I would answer I they have been great guns and would buy more.....but I have had failures with all at some time or another. I even had a failure with my GP100 (purchased new) and I take very good care of my guns.

Bottom line: None of us have the QC sample data we need to make a determination. But I do hear enough complaints about Taurus revolvers to give me second thoughts about buying one.

It's been noted before, but no company can stay in business with a large customer base like Taurus and make complete junk. Apparently, Taurus satisfies a fairly large number of it's customers.

Last edited:

N.H. Yankee

I have owned a few pistols and revolvers, never had any problems to speak of except the sights were always way off out of the box. I sold A few 99's and 100's years ago and never had a complaint. My bear hiking gun is a tracker 41 magnum, very accurate, timing is excellent and reliable.
I had a model PT100 that was a tack driver and friend convinced me into selling it too him.

I have owned about 5 semi's and all fed any hollowpoint I put in the magazine and were as accurate as most semi's I have owned and fired. I have read posts of problems, but my own experience has been favorable.

tju1973

I have a PT111 Millennium (not Pro) Hybrid Gen 1/Gen 3, and my wife has a Pink PT111MilPro (GM Special)-- both are great. I bought hers becasue it was pink and she wanted to spend range time with me-- I loved shooting hers so much I bought an Academy Black Friday Special PT111-- I was goint to get a KT P11, but I liked the shooting of the Taurus better. My PT111 is my daily warm weather carry--

I had a PT25, satin (nickel?) with rosewood grips-- pretty pistol and mine was a good shooter-- I only sold it because .25ACP is too expensive for me to justify keeping one...

I probably will get a Taurus SS revolver in .327 Federal just to have-- I have still almost 800 .32SW longs, so ammo is not an issue---

Price wise I like the Taurus, not for everyone, but they seem to work well for me...

madmag

I bought hers because it was pink

I was in a gun store two says ago. They had a pink handled Taurus revolver on the display wall. I told the woman clerk that they should be outlawed. Guess what she was earing on her side! She did have a sense of humor.:eek:

I guess a pink gun does not look pink when you are looking down the business end.:D

Mosin44az

Like Kel-tec and Century Arms AKs, Taurus is a crapshoot.

All have owners who claim they are great and function perfectly, but there are too many owners who have experienced problems (including me) for anyone contemplating a purchase to say they were not warned. A simple search on this site will reveal plenty of cautionary posts about any of these guns.

Don't buy the line from others who say "all gun brands have problems." Taurus, Kel-tec and Century MUST have alot more, as a percentage of guns sold, than the quality brands. They certainly have in my experience.

Taurus is really good at coming up with new models that look good and get me thinking about yet another purchase, but I will never recommend that anyone buy a Taurus, I just can't do it with a clear conscience. It's a decision that someone has to make without my encouragement.

My latest Taurus, a PT1911 purchased in February, already had its thumb safety break in two and fall off. It is also experiencing hammer follow and my gunsmith (who knows 1911s very well and is struggling with it for no charge) is now informing me that both the slide stop and the disconnector have dimensional problems that are making it difficult for him to fix.

Taurus--Buyer Beware

I like the post above mentioning Ruger. Just for an example, why buy a Taurus 24/7 9mm when you can get a Ruger P95 for $339?

P5 Guy

Never Owned No Opinion

All I ever hear about the Taurus is how they have a life time warranty.
Most of the people talking about how they are getting them fixed for free, or are shipping them out to be fixed or just got theirs back from being fixed.
I have owned a variety of Ruger and S&W revolvers and never had a mechanical failure. I have owned a variety of Walther, Glock, Colt, Hi-Standard and Star pistols with the same experience as with the revolvers.
Personally, I buy the best quality that I can afford.

bikerbill

I have two Taurus wheelguns ... my steel 85 was the first gun I ever bought, about 15 years ago ... it has been perfect since new, no issues, it's the gun I keep in my car and I have no concerns about trusting my life to it .. also have a steel 617, 7-shot snubbie .357 ... it needed $85 worth of gunsmith work when I bought it; kinda PO'ed at that, but it is now, as with the 85, a fully funtional, accurate and dependable weapon I greatly enjoy shooting. I voted neutral ...

EmptyHull

I think all the bad publicity about Taurus is from people who hear about them from the few who have had problems. I think the people who own Taurus guns are actually too busy shooting them to say just how good they are!:D Tim

skoro

I don't own a Taurus and probably won't. I'm concerned about their high rate of duds and reputation for poor service.

I have friends and family who've owned Tauri. One out of three was pleased.