• Never owned one, don't like them

Votes: 34 10.7%
  • Never owned one, pretty neutral view of them

Votes: 44 13.8%
  • My CC gun is a Taurus, trust my life with it

Votes: 17 5.3%
  • Good plinking gun but wouldn't CC it

Votes: 9 2.8%
  • All my guns are Taurus and I love them all!! Who needs another brand?

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Horrible experiences! Would never.. ever.. touch one again.

Votes: 38 11.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

riggins_83

Just curious about the views of Taurus from members of this forum. I know this is a generalization since they (obviously) don't make just one gun, but that's the view I'm going for.. overall view. No trolling intended! Feel free to drop in specifics especially if it's a view not covered in the poll options :).

Hellbilly5000

My father let me have his .357 magnum Taurus revolver and I have no issues with it I just don't care for it. I would never buy a Taurus for myself due to there c/s

sks

Have had 3 Taurus firearms and they have all been great. One small problem with the cylinder not locking on my wife's .38 but they fixed it immediately and shipped it straight back to me in a couple of days.

The "ready" guns in both of our vehicles are Taurus revolvers.

srt 10 jimbo

Pt 101 stainless, My Home defense gun for a reason. One reason is , It works everytime I Pull the Trigger and It's a beautiful gun (love stainless). Another reason Is hearing all the Gun snobs Telling me it sucks at the range, and I look over and I see them trying to un- jamb their guns.

Last edited:

6x6pinz

own several Taurus autos. Each one performs great. Had to do a little polish work on one to get it to feed properly all the time but the rest are straight out of the box and work great. A couple are ones that I bought new back in the 80's and they are still my main hunting pistols.

tomgun

my 2 cents

i've owned two taurus
the first NIB was a mill pro 45 acp,i had this for better than a year.
its problems were it would not disassemble,in firing it would chimney stack every other round, tried 4 different mags.two gun smiths tried to dissemble also.

the second was a 605 cia 357NIB. on the first day at the range it shot 2 38s and locked up tight.

Kreyzhorse

Owned 1 Taurus, a NIB Model 85 snubnose. To be honest, I really like the gun during the first 200 rounds. Was accurate and had a good trigger.

Between rounds 200 to 250 it seized up soild. Timing issue and an issue with the tolerance of the forcing cone, which, I learned after the fact, is a pretty common failing with that model of Taurus.

After dealing with Taurus's CS, I decided that was my first and last Taurus. I no longer own nor will I own another Taurus.

I know every maker can have an issue with any gun, but in my book, how that maker handles it is a bigger deal than having a problem with the gun in the first place. Taurus usually fails in that realm.

Dave Chuppa

To date I have had the 650, 627, 617, 608, 605, Two 85s and a 66. One of the 85s needed repair and do to poor maintenance I broke the 617. Both were repaired no problems and in a short time. I always carry Two guns and at least one is a Taurus. I like Taurus and will continue to buy and carry them. I work in a Gun Shop and can have any gun I want. We have sent a few guns back to the Factory for repairs and Taurus is not near the worst gun out there. There are more problems with guns costing more money than Taurus.

DMZX

I own 4 Taurus revolvers and am mostly ambivalent in regards to them.

They all work fine and are quite accurate. But they are nothing special in that I never get one out to show my friends.

Doogle

You need to decide if the savings are worth the risk...>

...as there are definitely issues with a fair number of Taurus handguns. It would be unwise to overlook that. Mind you, other brands also have issues, but I expect that in order to sell less expensively some reduction in quality/finishing is likely required along with the lower labour costs in Brazil.

I went into it with my eyes open after having read about the various Taurus issues, as well as the positive reports, for a few years. I decided to give them a try and got a Model 689 .357mag stainless revolver. It was slightly more than half the price of an equivalent S&W Model 686 at the time and a couple of hundred less than an equivalent Ruger.

The Taurus Model 689 is roughly equivalent to the S&W K-frame size (it accepts K-frame speedloaders). I have had the revolver for about 4 years and have put about 1500 rounds though it. The revolver has performed very well and if I do my job properly it is accurate.

The only issue to arise so far has been the ejector rod unscrewing under recoil from hotter .357 rounds. This could be loctited but I just screw it back.

As with many .357mag revolvers when shooting .38spls the chambers need to be well cleaned to remove fouling arising from the shorter .38 cases.

So far, so good. It hasn't had heavy use by any account and so I can't speak to longer term reliability but I also have no reason to feel it won't continue to serve me well. This model has been discontinued for some time now.

rickyjames

over the years i purchased and still own 2 pt92's, a pt145, pt1911, a mod 605 357mag, mod 44, 44mag and a rossi 357mag, i also gave my father a rossi 38 snubbie about 20 years ago. all of these guns functioned perfectly straight from the box and still work perfectly today. they are pretty accurate to. i have never had an issue with these guns and i have purchased these over a 20 year period. i have never had to use their customer service so i can't comment on that. the semi auto pistols have never failed or jamed, no failures to feed or extract ever to this point. the 9mm pt92's are work horses and shoot better and are more reliable than my brothers beretta 92. the pt145 is a great little 45 i bought for cc, it is a nice size for cc surprisingly accurate and pleasent to shoot for a short barrel gun and shoots everything i have fed it with no problems. i love the pt1911 it is a very tricked out gun right from the box and very accurate. it outshoots my colt and springer gi model 1911's. my 4" mod 44 is more comfortable to shoot than my 7 1/2" redhawk and pretty much shoots just as well out to 50 yards. my mod 605 is a handful to shoot in 357 mag, i prefer using 38's. my rossi 357 snub is a little heavier, a little larger and more pleasent to shoot with 357 mags. i would like to get a second pt1911 sometime in the future so i can have a matched pair :)

freakshow10mm

Carried a Tarurus 605 .357 snubbie for a while. I liked it a lot. Sold it due to the gun not being fun to shoot much and not anything to do with the quality or company. I'm thinking of getting another one as backup and loading up lighter loads to make it more comfortable. I owned it before I handloaded.

Mark Milton

I have owned several Taurus handguns and had problems with none of them. Some of them are used, by the way.

On the other hand,I have owned other makes and models of handguns with every problem mentioned above, except they were made by S&W, Colt and Springfield.

My first Springfield 1911 could almost not be field stripped and could not be reassembled. I had to send it back to the factory. Apparently it was assmbled on a punch press.

I had a 629 that would size up solid when 30 rounds were fired due to uneven barrel-cylinder gap and loose timing.
I had a colt that was prone to jamming and I had another Smith that would have the knurled end on the ejector rod loosen up.

I have had other problems with "first line" name manufacturers too.
To the convoluted way of thinking that is common among internet doofuses, this means Colts, Smiths and Springers are junk.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, EVERY maker turns loose a lemon from time to time and one lemon out of a thousand doesn't mean the entire product line is junk.
You guys got unlucky and got some bad guns. That says more about your luck of the draw than it does any manufacturer.

WESHOOT2

Taurus money vs Ruger money (vs Spock)

Since Ruger offers numerous similar choices with similar pricing, IMO&E buying a Taurus is not logical.

I own a Taurus PT22 now past a dozen years, and it proved itself reliable enough to be a constant back-up (or on rare occasion a primary) weapon.

I am personally familiar with too many Taurus owners who've had serious mechanical issues, some immediately (the most common time frame), and some after more shooting.
Too many to even consider any of their offerings......

It has nothing to do with anything other than "first it must go bang. It must do so on demand, repeatedly".
Where it's made, MIM or cast or forged, logo stamping, appearance, warranty, service; none of these things matter to me.
I know there have been many successful custom Taurus revolvers made by highly skilled pistolsmiths, but I'm also (pretty) certain none would suggest it their personal first choice.

Simply stated, not worth the risk.

Dustin0

I have PT1911 in Dual tone and Love it since i got it back. Had to replace the barrel in the 1st month. To two more months to get it back. But it does shot great now. Just wish the turn around was alittle faster.

Dustin0

At 50 feet it would shot about 6 to 7 inchs low. I would have to hold 6 inchs over the paper to hit it. I will say after sending it in for repair it dead on the money now. Iam thinking aout making it my bulleye gun.

gun nut

I've owned several (revolver and semiauto) they functioned most of the time. But unreliable enough not to trust.