Open heart surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don P

As the title states, I had open heart surgery 2 weeks ago. To the members that have been through this and for the rest I ask what would be your choice of self/home defense firearm for you recovery time at home??. I am curious as to what folks would choose and why they choose that particular firearm.
My choice is a model 10 snub nose revolver

Onward Allusion

Congratulations and good luck on your recovery. I had my quad almost 5 years ago and it was one of the scariest things that ever happened in my 48 years.

I did not carry all the time prior to my quad. However, I felt the need to because I was at my weakest post-surgery and for probably a good year and a half years after.

My go to carry was a Kel-Tec P32 at the time. It went with me every where. Back pocket carry when I was out and about. In a tiny Fobus OWB at home. The key for me was being armed at all times because a 12 YO could have kicked my butt in the first 6 months.

Post surgery I was really recoil sensitive. I'm not sure if a 38 Snub would have been a good choice for me at the time. That's why I carried a little 32 ACP. It all depends on where you are physically right now. Just gotta remember, almost any gun is better than no gun. Even a 22LR would work. If you feel good enough for a 38 Snub, I'd say go for it.

Good luck and stay positive 'cause having the right attitude is more than half the battle.

T. O'Heir

You're still in the "No lifting more than 10 pounds." stage. (Laughed at 'em when they said that to me. Told 'em I could lift 10 pounds with my tongue.) Mine was a quad by-pass too. No big deal really. Was kind of slow walking out of the hospital after 8 days of really crappy food. Up until then I thought only the Army could screw up an egg.
Surgeon also told me it'd just be aspirins. Still taking 10 pills for breakfast, 5 years later.
Anyway, as unlikely as a home invasion would be, a .38 would do. But you'd have to have in on your person all the time, because you won't be doing anything fast for another couple weeks at least.

UnkBK

Had my quad bypass 3 months ago. I feel your pain.
My choice was my S&W 360 with 158 gr SWC. No problem lifting a 13 oz pistol :)

In The Ten Ring

Read the title and thought it was a sarcastic story of a bad guy getting shot in the heart. :p

Well brother, I hope you recover fully and quickly. As to what gun, well, whatever you feel comfortable with.

If it hurts to use your upper body muscles much, then a revolver is the better bet. Perhaps a single action revolver.

Get some books and read as much as you can. When I was laid up for a month with a badly sprained ankle and broken leg, I read 8 books in about a month, including Uncle Tom's Cabin. The book was nothing like public school suggested it was.

DaleA

My choice is a model 10 snub nose revolver

If that's what you have and that's what you like go for it.

I certainly wouldn't think you were 'under gunned' in any way shape or form.

Personally I'd like a little more capacity so it would be a semi-auto for me but if you got a couple of speed loaders for your gun I'd say you were definitely good to go.

And like everyone else here I wish you the best on your recovery.

jpx2rk

Get well soon, speedy recovery. DO what the doctors/nurses tell you to do regarding the recovery process. It does work. Being stubborn or "he-man" will usually just prolong the recovery process.

briandg

I understand your problem here. You can't afford a jolt, I think that the biggest problem might be taking a jolt to the shoulder. But if you get something new, who will test fire it?

If you can afford to, I might suggest getting a full sized .380, not an ultra compact one. the 90 grain bullets are far less energetic than a 9mm, but if you had a heavy 9mm pistol already, maybe you could get the same results with a 115 grain 9mm round that was a special reduced load, or subsonic.

I understand your predicament. I am truly glad that you are doing well, bypass surgery isn't a good thing. I had brain surgery for an abscess a couple years ago, and I'll be the first to say that it was probably much less dangerous and less painful than bypass surgery. But, like you, there was a risk of damage in case of an impact. A clot, a bleed, both the things that you need to worry about.

But, IMO, your greatest worry shouldn't be a new gun. It's any impact. drive very little. Stay away from places and activities that may lead to a whack on your body. stay off of stairs. be careful on your treadmill or other equipment.

In a survival situation, if such a situation arises, the probability that you will be badly injured during an attack has just skyrocketed. Make your plans accordingly.

TXAZ

+1 on the dog.

There also is a stress issue involved so I might wait until the Dr says your back up for sports.

And stay away from rifles.

gw44

I had mine 17yrs ago and I am still going strong, I had a 38+p S&W by my side, good luck and get well soon !!!

Don P

If it hurts to use your upper body muscles much, then a revolver is the better bet

My point exactly. The thought of trying to rack a slide makes my breast bone and muscle hurt. It ain't happening any time soon. Those who have had the surgery Know what i'm talking about. Which is why I selected a revolver.

a GOOD guard dog
We are renting, no pets period.:(

Get well soon, speedy recovery. DO what the doctors/nurses tell you to do regarding the recovery process. It does work. Being stubborn or "he-man" will usually just prolong the recovery process.
Absolutely, macho man attitude has be checked at the door.

If you can afford to, I might suggest getting a full sized .380, not an ultra compact one. the 90 grain bullets are far less energetic than a 9mm, but if you had a heavy 9mm pistol already, maybe you could get the same results with a 115 grain 9mm round that was a special reduced load, or subsonic.

See my first reply in this post.( breast bone cut in half, muscles cut)

Why do so many of you guys say "get a dog."

That's just like the guys who tell us to move to better neighborhoods

On point.

And if you live in that crappy of a neighborhood, why wouldn't you consider moving to someplace safer?

I'm not sure where this was going to or who it was intended for but moving is totally out of the question. Remember the "no more than 10#" rule. Also all of us should understand and remember that bad things happen in good places. No matter where we choose to live something bad can happen.

Thanks to all for the well wishes.

Hawg

I had a triple 6 years ago. Use whatever requires the least amount of strength if you really feel you need one. If you break those wires holding your chest together you're going to regret it.

fredvon4

I does make a diff* what age the OP is..... but I think his choice is good

* only from a fully back to functional point of view

I was badly damaged in a helicopter accident in 1991 only 36 at the time.... self defense while recovering was not any concern at the time because a soldier well trained wife was present during my walker and wheel chair time...fully functional within 100 days

2014 I wrecked a motor cycle putting me back to no shape for personal self defense at age 59... still same wife and well trained for SD

I am NOT yet fully recovered 3 years later.....but more and more get out and about in the communities

I can not properly run any of my Pistols

needed some concealed carry gun that with my limitations could comfortable bring to bear and shoot accurately.. Up to this point it was always semi autos.... A detective special .38 works for me real good right now

manta49

Personally if i had open heart surgery guns would be the least of my concerns, hope you get well soon.

Last edited:

briandg

You do make a good point about use of a slide, and a double action revolver may be good, but it depends on the revolver. Getting a full sized (k or j frame equivalent) and bypassing the compact ones would be a reasonable choice. Getting one used should not be difficult. The .38 match wadcutters are very low recoil and even with the low velocity, they still offer good performance. The flat point cuts a cleaner hole than other types. The full frame revolver isn't easy to carry, but it is perfect for home defense.

Glenn E. Meyer

I deleted the posts about moving as irrelevant.

Question, is this for a purchase or from guns you already have?

A simple revolver is a good suggestion.

Of course, best wishes from TFL for a healthy and speedy recovery!!

Status
Not open for further replies.