OOOhhh.... sparkly...

That came out snarky. Sorry, not intended. Just really bummed. I'd love a 357 New Service, and Shooting Masters are all sorts of neat.

SC4006

I share your enthusiasm for this handgun! I've always been a revolver guy, new, old, whatever I like them all.

ScottRiqui

Beautiful revolver! I don't have much experience with Colts, so forgive me if this is a dumb question, but what's the purpose of the checkering on the 'knob' at the end of the cylinder latch?

I know that the latch is spring-loaded, and pulls away from the cylinder to unlatch it, but the checkering seems like it would only be useful for pushing the latch forward, toward the cylinder.

James K

Member In Memoriam
The grips look like military wood grips for the M1917 or M1909. Maybe Colt made civilian guns with those grips, but I don't recall any off hand.

Jim

Bob Wright

The New Service always holds a special place for me as it was my first "real" gun of my own. I bought one of those $24.95 mail order guns in .45 Colt, actually a reworked .455 Eley.

It was my first custom gun, converted to .44 Special and fitted with S&W rear sight and a huge Micro front.

Here 'tis:

000_47871-1.jpg

Was among my first lessons in handgunning.

Bob Wright

Bob Wright

ScottRiqui said:
Beautiful revolver! I don't have much experience with Colts, so forgive me if this is a dumb question, but what's the purpose of the checkering on the 'knob' at the end of the cylinder latch?

I know that the latch is spring-loaded, and pulls away from the cylinder to unlatch it, but the checkering seems like it would only be useful for pushing the latch forward, toward the cylinder.

The earlier Colts has a flat latch with a well defined "hook" for cylinder release. Later the rounded "knob" was added. The checkering aided the thumb's grip on that surface.

Bob Wright

savit260

The checkering aided the thumb's grip on that surface.

... and it does aid the thumb in gripping it IMO.

I have revolvers with the older checkered style cylinder latch, and the newer smooth ones.

I prefer the older checkered version. Just seems to be a more positive feel.

Bob Wright

Went to a gun show here in Memphis thish morning (Saturday, February 2nd) and saw three Colt New Service revolvers, all around $900. One was a pristine .45 Colt with aftermarket grips and an M1917 cylinder latch. Another was good shape, smoe wear in .45 Colt. And the third well worn in .455 Eley.

One was next to an Official Police .38, which emphasized just how big the New Service was. The Official Police was no slouch in size.

As I recall all Colt revolvers of the day were six-shot, and were for .38 Special Hi-Speed ammunition.

Bob Wright

aarondhgraham

I own 3 colts and would like just one more,,,

I would like a Colt revolver in .22 LR,,,
That would be a somewhat close match to a S&W Model 17.

Would that be an Officer's Match?

Aarond

Bob Wright

The Officers Model Match and Diamondback were both made in .22 L.R. Hard to say which is equal to the K-22 S&W. The Officers Model Match is slightly larger and the Diamondback slightly smaller.

Either one would be a dandy .22 revovler. I'd probably lean toward the Officers Model Match.

Bob Wright

savit260

The Officers Model Tartet/Match is close enough in size to a K frame to fit in many K frame holsters. It's just a whisker bigger.

A Diamondback frame is roughly the same size as an Ruger SP 101 frame.

Sevens

Ugh I wish colt would start making revolvers again!
They have... and they do.

Problem is, it's all single actions.

Read an article that said the machines they formerly used to produce double action revolvers no longer sits on the factory floor.

If history is any indicator, they may be out back behind the building rotting in the weather next to the garbage dumpsters.

That last sentence is my opinion and NOT from the article. That the machines are no longer on the factory floor was, however.

If Colt does ever build DA revolvers again, you better be prepared for some high-dollar handguns. And the crying that will follow! :p