OOOhhh.... sparkly...

PetahW

An old friend (50+ years, now) has one of those, he bought new in the late 60's IIRC - but his has more hand-filling grips ( walnut, w/Colt medallions) than the one linked to.

When he bought it, the only name/model it was referred to as was the "Colt .357 Revolver".

"That sounds about two years too early to be a .357"

Of course it is. But, apparently, serial numbers with the Shooting Masters are a bit squirrley.

There's at least one thread here at TFL discussing that fact.

My guess is it dates from 1937 to 1940.

And holy hell... something just dawned on me... I don't think that can be a Shooting Master at all.

Shooting Masters had adjustable sights. This one... doesn't.

I think I'll pass.

aarondhgraham

You've crossed over to the dark side my friend,,,

I knew it would happen though,,,
Ever since last year when you bought that first Colt.

But it's okay,,,
Now maybe we the faithful few,,,
Can get the S&W's you would have purchased. ;)

Buy the gun Mike,,,
You know you want it. ;)

Aarond

I've always wanted a New Service, Aaron.

"Now maybe we the faithful few,,,
Can get the S&W's you would have purchased."

Only if you think you're a good enough shot to best me and survive the gun battle that would ensue.

I'm more than confident in my skills.

Are you? :cool:

jglsprings

One Colt to rule them all, One Colt to find them,
One Colt to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

Of course it's sparkly - it is the precious and calls to you.

royal barnes

A comment further down near the pictures states that the seller has been told the offering is a "New Service Commercial Model".

BigJimP

Might just be the photo ....but I don't like the blemishes I see on the left side of the barrel near the muzzle either....

but I think you're smart to pass on this one.../ and I don't know near as much as you do on Colt's ...but it just doesn't seem right...

( there will be others !! )....besides, sometimes the hunt, is most of the fun !

Bob Wright

Mike Irwin:
And holy h... something just dawned on me... I don't think that can be a Shooting Master at all.

Shooting Masters had adjustable sights. This one... doesn't.

Bingo. And does the box indicate 6" barrel? The front sight looks too far back from the muzzle to me.

Nice looking gun, but the price..........

Bob Wright

savit260

Why would a "Shooting Master" , which is a target gun, have fixed sights and a 4" barrel?... and plain stocks?

I really doubt this is what it's being claimed to be.

savit260

I was fortunate enough to get to do some shooting with a .38 Special Shooting Master a few years back. It belonged to a friend, who has since departed, that would bring out stuff from his collection and we'd go shoot for a while on the range.

It was a wonderful revolver! I'd love to have one myself someday.

"Why would a "Shooting Master" , which is a target gun, have fixed sights and a 4" barrel?... and plain stocks?

I really doubt this is what it's being claimed to be."

Yeah, I think we've already established that.