one vs. many

KAK

My 3 main SHTF guns will be... I have a load out set up so I can carry and effectively use these 3. If I needed to leave in a hurry I would pick these 3. If I can I will distribute the rest of them to my family/ girlfriend.

-Sig p226 9mm will be my sidearm.

-20" BCM 5.56mm AR-15 with timney 3lb trigger will be my battle rifle.

-Remington 700 SPS Tactical .308 will be my long distance game/sniper rifle.

Last edited:

roy reali

Variety

I do not own two guns chambered for the same round. I like variety. If I have a bolt action chambered in .30-06, the next bolt action wil be in any chambering except .30-06.

alloy

I like .308's and 30-30's, that a problem?
12 guages and 45's too.
22lr now that I think about it, and maybe .38sp/.357's.
SHTF has squat to do with it.

Oops, just remembered my .380s:D

X_shooter

With that mode of thinking all four guns should have interchangable parts to incase there is a failure or excessive wear. Of course they should match the caliber of the weapons used by the UN peace keeping force sent here to imprison us so that he can rob their bodies of ammo. :eek:

Big Bill

I vote for you buddy. There is wisdom in choosing a particular caliber and having several guns in that caliber. For examole, what if you need to arm other people close to you in order to magnify your abilities to protect yourselves? Having spare guns in the same caliber, allows you to do just that. Besides, it works for the military. It's a good tactical move.

Uncle Buck

I have four .45 Colts and several + .357 Magnums. I also have a few .40 Cal, two 9mm (9x18 & 9x19) and more than a few .22LR. (Just in handguns.)

Rifles and shotguns I have several different calibers that I like to shoot and reload for. I have enough ammunition on hand right now that if I shot everyday for the entire comming year, I still would not have to buy anything.

I buy and shoot what I like.

Now one of my shooting friends keeps the following at my house, with identical types guns at his fathers' house and at his sisters' house:

Two different brands of 9mm pistols and a carbine.
Two 12 gauge shotguns (pump action something or another).

I own the following guns that take these rounds, so he only keeps one at my house.

One .410 shotgun.
One AK-47
One .308 Semi-auto rifle.

He has enough ammo here at my place I probably should have a license. :rolleyes:

He uses the argument that the guns he has are the type that takes "Common" ammo. He keeps two of everything at each location so he has fall back firepower available should he be able to make it to one of the three locations (That I know about).

I am not a big fan of the SHTF type of scenarios and, like I said above, I buy and shoot what I like and do not care if the ammo is common or not. I'll make mine own.

Maybe one day he will be proven right and I might regret what I have. But until then I am just shooting and smiling.

Buzzcook

It depends. Having a bunch of guns in the same cartridge because you just like the cartridge and the guns doesn't seem that strange to me.
Having a bunch of guns in the same round and for the same purpose because of some logistical fantasy, does seem a little strange to me.

jimofallon

Only considering carry guns not hunting guns I think you are probably better off with one and getting really good with it. Possibly more if they are same caliber and type. In other words get real familiar with one type.