one vs. many

thebodhitree

hey all, just wondering where ya stand...

a buddy and i were talkin about our guns and debating the merit of multiple one caliber guns ie he has 4 .40s cause he said when shtf he wants to be sure to have ammo for his gun and not tryin to dig thru different boxes lookin for the right ones.

me on the otherhand, i think if you're goin to have enough ammo for four guns, just keep one gun,maybe two, and all the ammo. that way you still have a gun, and you still have just as many bullets... i understand his point but the guy only has two hands...

not meanin this to be a shtf thread, just wondering if your armories reflect his thinkin or mine.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
I agree with you.

I've never seen the point in having 4 guns of the same caliber.

His logic is flawed. Having 4 guns in one caliber is just an excuse for having more guns. One gun would also result in only having one choice of ammo and, as you say, you've only got two hands. Truth is, you effectively have one. Holding 2 handguns is not going to be helpful.

My guns are all in different cartridges and all serve a purpose that is unique with little or no overlap except in the event that I have "upgraded" and not sold the previous version.

One defensive handgun.

One deer rifle (handgun actual, but rifle cartridge).

One deer shotgun (not even needed anymore).

One varmint rifle.

One varmint 22 (not even needed anymore).

Onward Allusion

I'm guessing when you say one -vs- many, you're talking about carrying with you and being accessible to different ammo?

Since 9mm & 40S&W are probably the most "popular" and available in a bad situation, we have Sigmas in 40S&W in our GO-bags. We also have a 9mm barrel and slide for the Sigma in the GO-bags.

Not many people know this but the 40S&W Sigma frame will accept the 9mm slide & barrel without any modifications. The 9mm cartridges will fit in an unmodified 40S&W Sigma mag. YES, I have done this and it works flawlessly (sometimes the last 9mm round in the 40 mag will stovepipe). YES I have shot the Frankengun. If you're completely out of 40S&W, then adjust the lips and it works better.

The other option is to grab a couple of aftermarket barrels in 9mm & .357SIG for your Glock 22 along with a couple of 9mm mags. My option costs less 'cause Sigmas are going for around $200 used and complete slides with barrels are around $125 to $150.

2damnold4this

I have a few deer rifles that use the same cartridge. If I want to take a friend or family member hunting, I can use the same ammo and grab another rifle out of the safe. One rifle is better for carrying and the other is better for stand hunting but either will work. I also have handguns chambered for the same cartridge. One compact 9mm for concealed carry and one full size 9mm.

Regolith

There's a saying, "Two is one and one is none." It's not at all a bad idea to have a backup for your defense or hunting gun. If they're the same model, you can use parts from one to repair the other. If not, it still gives you an alternative to your primary in case it breaks.

Having them chambered in the same cartridge is useful if obtaining ammo is an issue, such as if you were on a remote hunting trip or during a SHTF scenario. Otherwise, it's not that big of a deal, though it can simplify things.

Then there's the point mentioned by 2damnold4this. Having multiples allows you to arm friends or family who don't have a gun, if the situation warrants it.

Ricky

Multiple guns

Something that I haven't seen mentioned yet is the possibility of relying on scrounged up/found/commandeered ammo. Perhaps it might be better to have several calibers to choose from.

44 AMP

Staff
I've never seen the point in having 4 guns of the same caliber.

I do. I have at least 9 .22LR handguns and rifles. I have 5 9mms, 7 .357s, 4 .45s, 6 .45Colt, 3 .44Mag, 2 44AMP, 3 .45WM, 6 .308s, 2 .303s, 3 7.62x54R, 2 7.7Jap, 4 8mm Mauser, 2 .222Rem, I'm down to 2 .45-70s (got rid of 2 this year), and lots of singles in other calibers. And I probably missed some in this list.:D

Besides having ammo commonality, having multiple guns in the same caliber lets you test out the strengths and weaknesses of the gun models, with a constant ammo for a baseline.

And how abut the same gun in 4 (or more) calibers? I have a couple of Contender frames and about a dozen barrels in different calibers. This lets you compare different calibers with a common baseline of one gun.

Now, as to carry guns, I do think it makes good sense to have at least two of the same caliber and model. As close to identical as you can make them is best. Not to carry both, but to have a good working spare if you break or lose your main gun. And if things are really bad and scary, not having to find a dealer to order a replacement, and wait, might just be a good thing, don't you think?

RLWII

Ricky, I agree with you. My main calibers are all military, .45, 9mm, 223 and 308. But I also have multiple devices in .38/357, 44 mag and .22lr. I remember reading years ago Col. Cooper suggesting stockpiling .22lr. His reasoning was that a lot of people have a .22lr weapon but may not have a lot of ammo saved up. Should the need arise, you could use the .22lr you have to barter for something you might need.

thebodhitree

daaaaang. im def not tryin to sneak into this guys house. lmao! i hadn't thought of it like that... prolly because my friend hadn't thought of that either... maybe his old lady would let him get more if i told him to put it to her in that light.

Glenn Dee

Once again... This is the same argument used by the anti's. "I dont see any reason to own more than one gun in the same caliber" Sounds a lot like "I dont see any reason to own more than one gun" Firearm ownership like everything else is a matter of personal choice. I happen to like .38's I own tens of them. But thats my choice. A close friend owns many .45 1911 pistols. He questions my sanity for owning so many puny .38's (all in jest of course).

Bottom line is... I own them because I like them.

Glenn D

Skans

I don't really see this as a SHTF question. Really, the only reason to restrict the caliber of guns you own to one kind is for reloading purposes. If you plan on reloading all of your own ammo, then having one or limited calibers would certainly make this easier and cheaper.

Also, I guess some folks really like one caliber over another - in that case perhaps they want a 9mm for home protection, a different one for range shooting/competition and a different 9mm for Concealed Carry.

Other than those two reasons, I don't see any other valid reason for having multiple guns in the same caliber other than you just like them. Nothing wrong with that either - that's how I end up buying most of my guns.

The SHTF - one caliber recommendation never made much sense to me. This isn't the first time I've heard this. However, wouldn't it be better to have a wide assortment of guns, that way you have a better chance of finding ammo.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
44 AMP said:
And how abut the same gun in 4 (or more) calibers? I have a couple of Contender frames and about a dozen barrels in different calibers. This lets you compare different calibers with a common baseline of one gun.

That makes complete sense to me. I'm working on that very thing myself, though for a somewhat different reason. If I want to buy a 22-250, a 7mm-08 and a 44 mag rifle and I want three good guns, it's going to cost me well over $1800, in all likelihood. One the other hand, I bought am Encore Pro Hunter, had the trigger worked and have a really nice 7mm for less than $800, now I can add another cartridge for $300.... and another and another.... rather than 3 guns costing $1800+, I can have five for under $2000 and the savings just keeps getting better every time. I save at least $300, and more like $500, over the cost of a typical rifle with every purchase.

44 AMP said:
Now, as to carry guns, I do think it makes good sense to have at least two of the same caliber and model. As close to identical as you can make them is best. Not to carry both, but to have a good working spare if you break or lose your main gun. And if things are really bad and scary, not having to find a dealer to order a replacement, and wait, might just be a good thing, don't you think?

Yeah, there's some logic in it, should you choose to play those odds. That's one scenario where it makes sense to have TWO identical guns. All those things are too unlikely to bother me, but I can see why some people would be different. I'd sooner buy spare parts for my carry gun. I can buy the entire innards of a Glock for... what?... $200, including the barrel!

I've seen a good number of TFLers list that they have 6 or more guns, not just in the same caliber, but IDENTICAL. Exact same model and everything. Now, it's a free country, more power to 'em, but that makes NO sense to me.

Onward Allusion

It does if you want to be deadly with a given pistol and want to rely on the same make/model in different scenarios. I'm a big 59 fan - 1st thru 4th gen and have multiple identicals. Some I practice with, others are in my nightstand, some are in other places in the house, and some are in my safety deposit box. With the 59 series, I can double tap SUB 1" groups at 10 yards on the traditional SA/DA models (after the 1st DA shot usually). On the DAO models I now get 2" groupings and I prefer DAO for SD/HD. If I didn't practice and focus on one model I definitely would not be where I am with it today.

Does that mean I can't shoot 1911's or 92F's - absolutely not, but I am not as accurate and quick with them. The pistols that I do collect, I only have one of, but sometimes it isn't about collecting.

I've seen a good number of TFLers list that they have 6 or more guns, not just in the same caliber, but IDENTICAL. Exact same model and everything. Now, it's a free country, more power to 'em, but that makes NO sense to me.

TheGoldenState

As many guns, in many calibers, and as much ammo as one can afford is my motto:D

Dont much believe in big SHTF scenarios, but im hoping on 2012;)

MTT TL

I am not so sure about your buddy's reasoning. If he is digging through boxes looking for guns or ammo when he needs them then there has been a clear failure somewhere along the line here. If you can afford it there is no reason not to have more guns in the same caliber (other than lack of space) if you think you might need them for some reason. At last count we had nearly ten .22 rifles at the house.

He might want to think about keeping fully loaded rounds on hand instead of just bullets.

spanishjames

me on the otherhand, i think if you're goin to have enough ammo for four guns, just keep one gun,maybe two, and all the ammo.

Your friend may have four .40s, which may seem like too many of one caliber.
Are they the same model and/or barrel length? Or does each of the four serve a specific purpose, such as one for concealed carry and another for target practice? To him, four is the magic number, to others it may be two of each.
One caliber is his way of being prepared for an emergency. He's being efficient. Fewer cleaning tools, less ammo, and if he reloads, only one set of dies and supplies.

44 AMP

Staff
Another thing to consider...

Yeah, there's some logic in it, should you choose to play those odds. That's one scenario where it makes sense to have TWO identical guns. All those things are too unlikely to bother me, but I can see why some people would be different. I'd sooner buy spare parts for my carry gun. I can buy the entire innards of a Glock for... what?... $200, including the barrel!

If you are ever (God forbid) involved in a defensive shooting, the cops are going to take your gun. It's evidence. In the end, when all is done, and the case is cleared, you will get it back (or should, excepting those places with very antigun DAs/Judges), but until then?

You have to go to a different gun, should you need one. Makes sense to me to have one as close to the one you are used to (trained on) as possible.

My "home defense gun" is a cheap chinese 12ga coach gun. I am confident that it will work when needed, and work well enough to let me get to something else, at a minimum:D. And if its all I need, fine. And if the cops take it for a year, I can stand that loss, no problem.;)

I realize that its not a huge possibility, but it could happen. We plan for so much, but seldom talk about planning for that, and it seems to me to be a bit more likely than a true full scale shtf situation.

We don't talk much about lanyards anymore, either. Most modern designs don't even have a provision for one. But in the rough and tumble of a true shtf I think they might still have some utility. True, they can fail, but holsters can also. Suppose you took a hard fall during your E&E, and the pistol came loose? If you are really pressed, you might not even notice right away. A lanyard night make all the difference between losing your piece and not. Armies used to think that way. But then, they used to think handguns were important, too.

I still think that way. Do you?

Mesquito Whitey

1 vs a lot

Hello;
I have all the necessities for converting my G32 to .40 and 9mm. Along with that is an old Colt Lawman .357/38. I feel that these are adequate for whatever comes along, at least as far as handguns.