One powder for 38 SP, 9mm, 45ACP ?

BJung

Personal Problem

I have a personal problem with Unique.

It is very versatile and I tried it once. What I personally can't stand about it is that throwing it in my RCBS thrower is like trying to cycle corn flakes. I resorted to finishing my loads off with the trickler to make loads with a consistent MV. I haven't tested this but, despite the crushed corn flake pieces, by just using the thrower, is the MV consistent?

Last edited:

Stroker468

I have a personal problem with Unique.

It is very versatile and I tried it once. What I personally can't stand about it is that throwing it in my RCBS thrower is like trying to cycle corn flakes. I resorted to finishing my loads off with the trickler to make loads with a consistent MV. I haven't tested this but, despite the crushed corn flake pieces, by just using the thrower, is the MV consistent?
That certainly isn’t a personal thing...and a good point to bring up.

My charges of Unique, through my Hornady throwers, do vary by up to .2 grains to the low side, but rarely on the higher side. I don’t load close to max charges, so this isn’t a problem for me. I’m more concerned about OAL. I think a .2 grain short/long charge isn’t a safety issue based on my mid level loading. If I were a more serious shooter, I would likely be more concerned.

But, I do agree with Burbank regarding the inconsistent throws.

BJung

Another personal gripe

Since we're on the topic of bad powders, I like AA5 for its versatility but every time I used it, it would leave a film of black sticky soot on my revolver. How about you guys?

rclark

Truthfully I hadn't noticed that using AA#5 or AA#2. I do like how they meter, and work very well. That's about as much as I've paid attention to!

As for Unique, I stay above 6.0g applications. Anything below that I would have to weigh every load. For example 4.0g under a 100g bullet in .32 H&R is a decent load... but I just couldn't stand weighing every load. So I moved to the AA powders, True Blue, etc. for excellent metering and good results. For .44 Special, .44Magnum, .45 Colt, Unique works great.

On subject, just stick with W231, or an AA powder, or ... choices :) . For me, it was kind of fun to chase down what worked (for me) in each cartridge that I shoot.

Last edited:

Marco Califo

BE-86 & Power Pistol

I am surprised I have not seen Alliant BE-86 mentioned. It is a modernized, low flash "updated" version of Bullseye, with better velocities and has published loads listed for 9mm, 38 Sp, 40 S&W, 45 ACP, (all at what I would call respetable velocities) along with many other like 10mm, 45 Colt, 357 Mag., etc.
I do have a recently purchased canister on my shelf, but have used Alliant Power Pistol more, for even higher velocities. Power Pistol is not flash suppressed, but I never notice when shooting at an outdoor range in daylight. PP will hand the same broad range of calibers.

Other powders providing similar velocities across calibers are Silhouette (flash suppressed) and CFE Pistol. CFE-P in 38 Sp +P will get your 1199 fps with 125 grain H.XTP. 1133 for regular 38 Sp.

markr6754

I am surprised I have not seen Alliant BE-86 mentioned. It is a modernized, low flash "updated" version of Bullseye, with better velocities and has published loads listed for 9mm, 38 Sp, 40 S&W, 45 ACP, (all at what I would call respetable velocities)
BE-86 is a new powder, and probably not as widely used. I just finished shooting my first ever loads of BE-86 3 hours ago. I never find this locally, but a recent discovery of a non-local gun shop provided the first chance to acquire a bottle.

I followed the lowest recipe published on natoreloading, which itself was already 0.4gr above Hornady’s published Maximum load. I’m happy to report that I survived...and all pistols tested are rated for +p loads. Still, I don’t try to push my loads. These were stout loads, though not actually unpleasant to shoot.

So 2 new first...first loads with BE-86, and first loads showing signs of primer flattening. I’ll be sticking to Hornady’s loads in the future.

Alliant states that BE-86 is a clean burning upgrade to Power Pistol, while also achieving similar velocities with 0.5gr lower charge, yet they have loads for Power Pistol 2 steps higher than BE-86.

Marco Califo

Could you post a picture of "primer flattening"?
Primer flattening is rare in handgun loads.
BE-86 data is included in Alliant's 2014 pamphlet so it is at least 6 years old.

jdscholer

HP38/231 and Bullseye are very similar, and I'd hate to do without either of them. Seems like HP38 might be a little cleaner. jd

markr6754

The Western Powders load guide linked here
http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/WPHandloading-Guide-7.0-Web-REV.pdf
Has a photo of a flattened primer on page 12. Is this what you have?
I decapped all the brass yesterday without taking pictures. The primers looked more like the right photo on page 13. These rounds were higher than Hornady max charge...but well off of Alliant’s 2018 load guide 6.3gr max 115gr JHP. I loaded 5.9gr under 115gr HAP.

Still, they were harsher than I want to shoot...likely approaching 1200fps. Just guessing...the recipe I copied showed 1225 from 4.5” barrel. I was shooting shorter Barrels, from 3.15” to 3.5”.