One Other Reason I believe Sling Shot is better than using "Slide Release"

IanS

When I got hooked on shooting Glocks I learned about the "sling shot" method of chambering a round from the slide lock position. For me, thats the palm of the weak hand over the slide then pulling all the way back and releasing the slide to chamber the round. Ever since I've transitioned to shooting SIG pistols I've used this method for my SIG pistols as well.

The common argument is that fine motor skills could be compromised under stress and that its easier to use this gross motor skill in the event one needs to chamber a round under pressure. I believe this principle and I've been training that way ever since. So for me the "slide release" lever doesn't really exist unless I need to field strip the weapon or to make the gun "safe".

The other reason is in the event I need to use a 1911, Glock, Walther, XD, S&W, Beretta, H&K or most any other automatic pistol, whether I'm at the range or in a defense situation, I always know where the slide release is. Its my weak hand. There's no fumbling or searching for the lever. I always know where it is in a sense.

Many argue that this method is a bit slower. And they probably are right. But for me I just think this method is more foolproof.

9x19

Whatever trips your trigger, umm (perhaps that's a fine motor skill we'll lose under stress, so...) better make that whatever releases your slide... and works for you.

Just don't try to sell it to folks as the one and only method... there's already enough of those guys in the market.

Tantrix

You and me both. This is why it doesn't bother me that Glock's isn't designed to be a slide "release" but a slide "stop". I was always taught to use the hand-over method of chambering from many different instructors, and it is what I use today.

Personally, with a 1911, I find that both methods are very good and I practice both.

There are two types of problems with the slingshot method, however. One is a style issue and the other is functional and so the slingshot method is not foolproof.

First the style problem. If you actually do the slingshot method like a slingshot, you pinch the rear of the slide between the thumb and index finger to grip the slide for racking. This is a weak grip method and I've seen people slip several times, either because they never got the grip just right or because they and the guns were wet (rain, sweat, blood). The more positive grip method is with an overhand grip of the slide with the slide trapped between base of the palm and four fingers.

The second problem is that depending on the weak hand to release the slide means having the weak hand able and available to make this happen. The weak hand is actually the smart hand, as I was taught. The strong hand is the dumb hand. Why? The dumb hand basically only runs the gun. The smart hand does everything else from helping run the gun, fending off blows, opening doors, holding or dragging loved ones to safety, providing compression to wounds, and even becomes the gun hand when the regular gun hand is damaged, etc. In some sort of fight, it very well may be that your 'weak' hand may become injured and hence unable to perform the necessary slingshot slide release. Or, it may be unavailable for use as it is being used as a shield to parry knife thrusts from your attacker.

It is really best to be familiar and proficient with more than one way to perform gun tasks because with only one method, you have no alternative if that method can't be implemented for some reason.

Shorts

I use both methods, but I have only one hand, so using the weak hand method to close the slide is tough. It is much easier to reach up with my thumb and trip the slide stop lever. When I do close the slide with my hand, I rest the pistol in the crook of my elbow/forearm, then crawl my strong hand over the top of the slide and place my thumb behind the grip safety and squeeze the slide back and release. I don't use that method in a quick situation. Too much room for error, dropping the gun, fumbling...etc.

IanS

Double Naught Spy,

You brought up two important points. One which I didn't make clear enough. When I say "sling shot" I do mean the hand over slide method. Using the index finger and thumb is not a method I like to use either. I just call it the "sling shot"

Second, having the weak hand available to do other things or in case the weak hand is incapacitated is something to consider as well. But personally, I don't think its that important because one often needs to use the weak or "smart" hand to reach for the spare mag and slam it home anyways. The hand is already near the gun so the "sling shot" becomes part of the same movement for me; in effect. But in case the weak hand is incapacitated being able to load with one hand (either putting the empty gun between the knees or armpit then using the "slide release") is something that should be practiced as well.

I'm not advocating one method over the other. I just wanted a discussion of the options out there esp. for those who may not have considered them.

Handy

Personally, I don't buy it. Wiggling one's thumb in a fixed plane doesn't strike me as "fine motor skill". If it is, we are screwed, since that is no more technical than operating a safety lever or mag release. With a gun like a P7 adding this step is comical.

I really think this method was derived by the 1911 traing crowd (Gunsite, Frontsite, etc). Most can't easily reach the standard slide release on the 1911, and extended releases are a liability on these guns. Ta Da! Slingshot.

On top of that, a slingshot can be screwed up, creating a feed jam, if your gross motor skills cause you to ride the slide closed.

I think the biggest condemnation of this method is how slow it is. There is so much discussion of which gun/trigger/sight system is "fastest on target", then we add a full second to the reload before we re-engage the target? That seems frankly foolish, and really backwards.

So, anybody got a factory extended not-slide release for their Glock? :D

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Personally, I don't buy it. Wiggling one's thumb in a fixed plane doesn't strike me as "fine motor skill".

Handy beat me to it.

I'm going to be too flustered to operate the slide stop, yet somehow I'll be able to find the mag release with no problem. :confused: There're some holes in that piece of logic. :eek:

Also, I'm completely cool with having controls whose purpose is to "deliberately induce malfunctions" (as a friend puts it) placed in such a fashion that they're difficult to operate inadvertently.

IanS

So Handy,

For those people who have to shift their grip to reach the slide release then the sling shot method might be a viable method for them? For SIG shooters its right next to the thumb but on guns like the 1911 or Beretta 92FS I found shifting my grip to be awkward and less postive.

Also, sometimes just releasing the slide with the slide release doesn't provide enough inertia to chamber a round. My 1911's jammed a few times when I used the slide release but when I used the hand over slide method I never had the problem again. I think that's one of the things that sold me on the idea.

Handy

Ian,

If your gun of choice is not workable except by sling shot, of course sling shot is best. That's the only way with a PPK, for instance.

But did you ever wonder about how reliabe your weapon is if it won't chamber as Browning designed it to? If that 1/8" of extra slide travel/spring tension is all that stands between a feed jam, that's almost proof that fouling is going to do the gun in as well - sling shot or not.

But as a general comment about all autos, I stand by my assertion. If that release is right by your thumb, and the gun is reliable, why not use this excellent feature that JMB, among others, designed for our use?

RickB

I'm a lefty, and I operate the trigger, mag release, and slide stop with my index finger. Problem is, some guns require more strength to trip the slide release than I can generate at that weird angle. I've tried to trip it with my weak hand as I reload, but find myself fishing for it. So, I've also adopted the over-hand slingshot method. It is very slow, compared to tripping the slide release (for those who can consistently do it), but for me, it's the only way I've found to get the slide down consistently. On some guns, 1911s with a thick shok-buff for instance, the sling-shot method won't work, as the slide can't be retracted enough to cam the slide stop down; that needs to be figured into the method of choice, too.

wingman

But did you ever wonder about how reliabe your weapon is if it won't chamber as Browning designed it to? If that 1/8" of extra slide travel/spring tension is all that stands between a feed jam, that's almost proof that fouling is going to do the gun in as well - sling shot or not.

I find the above to be true of many small compact auto's they need that
extra travel to chamber a "full" mag. Having said that I've never used the
slide stop for my shooting just dont like it, we must remember it is what you
feel comfortable with plus most of us shoot for sport and pleasure not
combat so the slingshot vs. slidestop release controversy will go on forever.

Practice makes perfect, also the slidestop snap makes for good movies. :D

9x19

IanS,

One mehtod that many right-handed, short-thumbed, 1911 shooters have adopted is to hit the slide release with the left-hand thumb after seating the magazine, and in the same motion of resuming their two-hand grip. I'm sure it would work on just about any auto pistol where the operator finds the slide stop too far away to operate with their right thumb.

To many of those "combat" schools teaching the over-hand method as the only way that will work under stress, I say: Silly people... sling shots are for kids. :D

auto45

If I shot 4 or 5 different types of autos all the time, I would probably use the sling-shot method also.

On a 1911, it's much quicker and easier to use the slide stop. Of course, using the hand that loads the mag.

Dave Sample

I do not avocate the "Sling Shot Method" of chambering a round in a 1911 type pistol. I have have no interest in how any other pistols are chambered with the most important round in a fight.
The above method is not repeatable every time you load the gun. Dropping the slide with the slide stop is. It is the same every time. It replicates firing the gun and puts your first round into a repeatable lock up each and every time. Our method of test firing ptoves I am right because there are no "Flyers" on our Targets.
If you want to throw your first round off, by all means, "sling shot" the slide.

OBIWAN

Not going to (try to) fan the flames in either direction

However....

I have seen some people have difficulty getting the slide to release on some weapons using the lever.

Feel free to assume that said weapons were malfunctioning...doesn't really matter to me....dance with what brung ya!

When they had about given up and were starting to lose muzzle awareness in this losing fight, I calmly (while ducking) suggested the nice push/pull release method ...which worked like a champ....every time.

Based solely on that...the left hand clapping method SEEMS more dependable. Since I have never seen it NOT work.

It also mimics the motion for theTRB and the MMC (Major Malf Clearance) locking the slide back/stripping the mag/working the slide or just working the slide when it is not already back...darn lever fouled up again.

Can't do all that with your right thumb

:D

Gross....Fine....I don't care...I just want to get back into the fight.

How many of you ONLY tap/rack/bang using your knee....because....you know....your other hand might not be available some day???

More than one tool is not always a bad thing...I also think you should practice doing everyhting with one hand.

Dave...I use the release lever for admin efforts, like loading....but if I have to do a speed reload, consistency is the least of my worries. Seems to me I never have trouble working the release so that small amount of practice must be enough.

I may switch though...any way I can excuse "flyers" is AOK with me.

Believe me...I understand the differing viewpoints....just not why people get so riled up

Stay Safe

PS: Don't buy a P3AT...no lever....you will simply stare at the slide while being shot to pieces

Smurfslayer

This is a personal choice

or preference. There isn't a more correct way. If the manufacturers hadn't wanted you to use the device as slide release, then why are there gripping surfaces on them?

Slingshotters run the (increased) chance of negligently riding the slide home and not fully chambering. Slide droppers run the (increased) risk of missing the lever under stress.

Of course, this is moot for my 92's and my HK's; as soon as I slap the magazine in, the slide lever trips and the slide goes forward chambering a round for me. :p

It's a feature, not a bug!

Dave Sample

Just to stir the pot. Your speedload should be done in battery with a round in the chamber. Do Not Run Dry In A Fight. That is one more school of thought. Just woofin' , of course.

Handy

Do Not Run Dry In A Fight.
I have it on good authority, by those who 'fight' professionally, that this is a nice idea, but round counting is impractical and can't be counted on. The best you can do is constantly tac-reload - swapping part filled mags for fully filled.

But running out in the fight is a fact of life. With a well designed gun it will take no more time to load an empty gun than one with a round in the chamber.

Old Fud

Varies with the Pistol

I don't want to have to change my strong-hand grip. After that, which I CAN use is dictated by the pistol.

I have several pistols -- Kahr among them -- in which it is easy and natural to press the release and let 'er rip. So that's what I do.

The 1911 is impossible -- can't be reached without shifting my strong hand.
So it gets sling-shot(ed?).

Simple, wot?

Fud