On Duty: The Federal HST 45ACP

Mr.RevolverGuy

Federal HST On The Front Line
Today we are testing the preferred 45ACP ammunition of the local law enforcement community.

Federal Premium 45ACP HST 230gr ammunition.
This test provides valuable information, chronograph data, accuracy data, penetration and expansion data.

Test Pistols
These pistols are what the local LEO community carries for on duty and off duty.
Glock 30
Glock30-Fullsideview-026.jpg

Glock21
Glock-21.jpg

Video
https://youtu.be/H1IGtk1U5nw
Guest Pistol
Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan .454
DSC00804.jpg

Slow Motion Surprise
Pay close attention to the slow motion
Closing
In closing it seems for the federal HST to perform flawlessly it needs to be driven to a velocity of 800 to 850fps.

zplinker

Interesting, and it duplicates what I've seen and done. A similar test, using milk jugs full of water, had a nice .45 caliber hole in and out of the first jug, then the second jug exploded. A comment was, 'oh, its HOSTAGE ammo...you can shoot right through the hostage, to get the bad guy'! Bullet performance is always affected by velocity, and at about 1100 fps, things actually work like I think they should. Hard to beat a Speer Gold Dot, loaded to that level. Gelatin, jugs, results are very similar, but water tends to cause jackets to shed.

zplinker

Not hardly! And I would never carry 230 gr. .45 ammo for serious business. The 185 gr. +P load does about everything better, given proper bullet construction, like the Speer Gold Dot.

Mr.RevolverGuy

I say use what you shoot best. I love the feel of the 230gr recoil impulse more so than than the 185gr +p. A well placed shot is much better than a fast miss. The recoil impulse of the 185gr +p feels much like the 40S&W to me.

Thanks zplinker keep shooting and keep all rounds on target.

TxFlyFish

Great vid very informative! Do we know the failure point of HST? I want to see what happens when you push it very fast

Mr.RevolverGuy

Probably breaks apart leaving fragments.

Though I have to ask in self defense is there such a thing as failure WHEN a bullet fragments? I have recently asked myself this question because with a friend as a Doctor in the emergency room. He says his worst patient are ones stabbed and ones shot where the bullet has fragmented and they have to go looking for the pieces. Things that make you go Hmmm.

Hey I have a friend with a pistol caliber carbine in 45acp maybe the extra barrel length will add to the velocity and push the bullet to fragmentation.

TxFlyFish

If HST is resilient and hangs on to the core for its dear life it could be a very useful hunting round. Gold dot for instance looks like a meteor when pushed beyond its limit...the jacket peels all the way back like a banana and tucks in behind the core

Mr.RevolverGuy

I believe the HST might perform the same. I know the Speer Gold Dot is a bonded bullet and I believe the HST is also --- only one way to tell TEST IT! :)

shooter1911

Thanks, that was an interesting video. 45 HSTs are not actually bonded, but they emulate the effects of a bonded bullet if that makes sense. HST has become my carry ammo in my 1911s, and M&P 45C, because they always expand in 4" barrels or more, are very accurate, and highly reliable in anything I carry. They also have a pretty good street reputation.

smee78

Thanks for the review, I always enjoy seeing how well or not a personal defense round performs and from different firearms.

Zplinker said "And I would never carry 230 gr. .45 ammo for serious business."...….really?
You know Speer makes a 45 ACP - 230 Grain JHP - Speer Gold Dot LE.

I guess I should only use it for non serious business???

zplinker

Yes, Mr. Revolver Guy, I do tend to keep them in the middle, as recorded by a state PPC match, duty gun, with a 595/600. And that with a Glock 22, while the guys running the league were carrying Beretta's...'Gods' Gun'...but not a one used their real duty gun for the competition.

Oh well, to each his own, 'run what you brung'. Whatever trips your trigger. But do practice!

SATRP

+P, with slight deviation, does not offer significant velocity advantage.

HST LE ammo is excellent stuff.

The .45 ACP does not need tricks and gimmicks to work.