On behalf of LEOs...

driz

The thing you have to remember is that people and I mean anybody can be purely STUPID. Yea that means cops too. Stumbling drooling stupid and I truly mean that.
I once had a biker with his wife in a car who came back NCIC "armed / Dangerous. What a moose 6'7 300 lbs pure muscle with all the tats to go with it. I went up to the car gun behind my back and told him I wanted ID. What does he do but dive right under the seat as I jam a 23 Glock right into his collar bone. So what does he do but look up at me with a smile and say "oh excuse me " and out comes his wallet in his hand from under the seat. Long story short I cuffed him up and frisked his pissed off old lady then ended up letting him go because someone typoed the entry and this guy was just a suspect but no warrants or A/D. Duhhhhhh!
Another time it's about half hour pre sunrise at the same small border port. I hear a small sound outside and peek out to see someone had snuck in and parked way up in the corner of the parking lot and was slowly walking towards the door. I wonder who this could be dropping by in the wee hours then I see it. Big chunk of stainless in his right hand, just a glint of it off the parking lot lights that carried to the parking lot. Wow, I catch a brick piece of the door frame and pull my glock and holler at the guy asking him what he wants. " I got something I have to give YOU. Oh I guess you don't know me, I'm deputy -CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED-head from downstate. I leave my 45 here when I go to my camp in Canada." This wasn't long after Oklahoma City either. In the end I tell him to put that thing away and I swear he almost looked like I hurt his feelings. Can you imagine? I asked him what in hell he was thinking and it didn't seem to register too well. That from a cop no less.
The point of all this is that you just can't ever feel confident that ANYBODY will do the sensible thing and yes that Homer Simpson could be you. People are strange and far more unpredictable than sharks and bears. That's why I always practiced keeping that booger picker up against the inside of the back strap when I pull my gun. It's just cheap insurance against AD's when using something like a Glock or similar.
What can Joe Anybody do to avoid these things? Keep those mits up on the steering wheel or vicinity. Don't do anything fast like dive under a seat or into a glove box. Just keep still with those hands where the cop can see them and do what he says , also stay in the car unless and until they tell you to get out and do everything at a regular pace . Then stand there till they tell you otherwise preferably with hands in full sight.
As a cop, well just expect the unexpected and try to take advantage of whatever cover is available. Use those take down lights most every dept has now days. That blinding light keeps them from seeing you well. Take a second to read the people. What are they doing, what aren't they doing, where are they looking. You can learn a lot in just a few seconds if you are looking. Stay tight to the car if there is only one in there. He can't snap off a shot without pointing it right past his own face if he gets froggy which slows him down a lot. I always liked to rest my hands on my gun and belt like some stereotypical cowboy. It's comfortable and you are already half way there;) if you need to pull it. Beyond that be careful and ready for anything.

j3ffr0

I've been pulled over a lot in my lifetime. I personally think it's bad advice to try to dig out license and registration before the officer gets to your window unless it is very, very handy (and if it is, then what is the rush?). If he/she was in a real hurry, I wouldn't have been pulled over in the first place. It's obvious I'm in a hurry -- that's probably why I got pulled over. :) No -- It's not worth any remote chance that the officer might be suspicious of what I'm reaching for. What if I look like the suspect in the robbery, or someone got mad at me and reported by car as stolen? Not worth it!

I roll down the window, turn off the car, put my hands on the wheel, and don't speak until spoken to. If I'm carrying, I tell them about it. If it's night, the dome light is on. I feel like the the officer notices my reasonable effort to do nothing unless instructed, and we both know we are trying be safe without saying a word about it.

In Virginia, we are supposed to disclose whether or not we have a permit and whether or not we are carrying. If I lived somewhere else, I would do the same, because I would want to know if I was in the officer's shoes.

Tucker 1371

I like the idea that someone mentioned about just not riding with your wallet in your pocket. Go ahead and set it on the dash, in the cup holder, between your legs, etc.

Tinner666

Been stopped often. I just sit quietly with hands on the open and when he approaches, I tell them I have a CCW and I'm armed, and just followed any directions he gave. Never had an issue.
Just a couple of weeks ago, we had a small theft and I offered to take the officer to where someone had told me the potential suspect could be. The officer watched me put on my holster, drop my pistol in it and I asked "My vehicle, or yours?". He said his and started to empty the seat, and said I could ride in the back to save him the trouble. He opened the door and said hop in and off we went.
A few months back, out beat cop dropped into a neighborhood get together and somehow the discussion got to lights on porches. I raised my hand and told him we had blue lights on the porch. He said that was nice as everybody smiled. I said it wasn't just symbolic though. I told him he could come to us for anything from water, to observation help, or a full-fledged firefight if he needed us. You know, everybody looked down and his eyes kinda changed and I thought he was going to cry for a moment there.
He now stops by at random intervals knowing we have his back.
Of course, this is Va. and this is normal here.
My son is state trooper and he gets real antsy if a carrier doesn't mention he's armed. Tell him you're armed and he feels safer knowing more about you then.

Sgt127

I've been pulled over maybe 3 times in 20 years.

I roll down the windows, have my wallet in my hands. Both hands on the steering wheel.

As he gets to my window I say:

"Hello (officer, deputy, trooper) I'm a police Officer, I've got my gun on me, what would you like me to do?.."

Period. Balls in his court, he's in charge.

Funniest ever. Got stopped going home at 3:00. Uniform pants and T shirt. Shed everything else.

Got stopped. Did my routine, he says, I pulled you over because you don't have any tail lights.

Me: seriously? Nothing?

Nope.

Buddy, can I get out and see what's up?

Sure.

I get the the back, yep. Nothing. I know I had tail lights a couple days ago. It just passed inspection. -CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED-?

Can I open the trunk and check the bulbs?

Sure

Pause..."say, we good about that whole 'I'm PO-lice' thing?"

Him: "sure"

"Cool. Because as soon as I open that trunk, the first things you see will be a decked out AR and an Ithaca Stakeout 12 ga. We still good?"

Whacked the back of both light housings, both lights came on. Damned German car electronics.

t45

When driving I put my wallet in a cup holder in my truck. That way if I'm stopped, the officer does not see any odd movement from me when I'm going for my wallet. In NC more times than not, they come up on the passenger side so I'm ready to let that window down if they do so. Interior lights always come on to ease there mind when approaching me. NC is a shall notify state, so I let them know immediately that I have a CC permit and whether or not I'm carrying. I've only been stopped a few times in my life (53yrs old) but it's the least i can do to help the officer feel safe while they conduct the stop. Keep in mind that even though you are an upstanding citizen, they don't know that.

zincwarrior

When driving I put my wallet in a cup holder in my truck. That way if I'm stopped, the officer does not see any odd movement from me when I'm going for my wallet. In NC more times than not, they come up on the passenger side so I'm ready to let that window down if they do so. Interior lights always come on to ease there mind when approaching me. NC is a shall notify state, so I let them know immediately that I have a CC permit and whether or not I'm carrying. I've only been stopped a few times in my life (53yrs old) but it's the least i can do to help the officer feel safe while they conduct the stop. Keep in mind that even though you are an upstanding citizen, they don't know that.

On the flip side, if someone takes a step back and reads that, its really disturbing that its come to it that we're so afraid of police not feeling "safe" that we feel this is prudent or we might die. Note I am not disagreeing with you. I have given the kids (both boy and girl) and the wife the talk about police stops, which turned out prudent in at least one stop.

In my business I interact with Canadians, Brits and Latin Americans a good bit. Our interactions are similar to 3rd world Latin American countries, vs. Canada (well Canadians are ruthlessly polite regardless) or even Britain.
And Frankly I see it becoming more and more like how the police interacted when I went to Southern California, and police interactions there were not good.

I regularly shoot with police, and have not had unprofessional dealings with them, even in LA. But I see it becoming more tense, and the interactions more aggressive.

Old Bill Dibble

Our interactions are similar to 3rd world Latin American countries, vs. Canada (well Canadians are ruthlessly polite regardless) or even Britain.

IDK about that. Firstly about "3rd World Country" and next about the dozen+ or so times I have been stopped by the police in the US they have never once asked for a bribe (out of 500,000 miles or so driven). Its either a ticket or a warning. Two stops in Mexico (out of about 500 miles driven in the whole country) and I am running 100% on demanding bribes.

zincwarrior

That is a fair point. I was thinking more about the likelihood of violence. I've not had a Toronto cop point a gun at me. That was not uncommon in LA (long story but frequently stopped because I stood out as not supposed to be in the area- white guy living in one of the more interesting areas, with the natural suspicion that I was driving in the area to buy drugs instead of driving to school).

(Interestingly, I never felt unsafe in those situations as they had the procedure down step by step and were very professional about it. I'd feel safer with them than being pulled over by a Louisiana sheriff for example)

t45

The way I look at it, there are more police stops at night on YouTube that go wrong than you can count. I personally would be on high alert pulling over a vehicle on a dark highway or country road. I'm not a LEO but i share their concern. The few things I can safely do to put the officer at ease will set the tone for the remainder of the stop. Again, these officers have know idea whether I'm a 53yr old family man that works to much or a 53yr old that just robbed a convenient store and will do anything to end the confrontation. I have a huge respect for these guys and gals. They have a tough job with relatively low starting pay and very little respect that gets worse by the day. They don't have the luxury to know how a traffic stop is going to go before hand. What they do know is that the next traffic stop COULD be there last if their not paying attention.

BigBL87

Without addressing specific posts, I'll share what I was told during my CCL training here in IL. FWIW, both of my trainers were/are city police officers.

They recommended not telling the officer unless you are asked, in which case you are legally obligated to do so in Illinois. Illinois is not a duty to inform state, so you are not legally obligated to inform unless the information is requested. They did add that if you do want to inform during a traffic stop, and they understand some people's reasoning in doing so, you need to have rehearsed exactly what you are going to say and stick to it.

In addition to that, one thing I have started doing (and I'm not carrying yet but doing it to get into the habit) that they recommended is keeping my wallet, insurance, registration, etc. in an easily accessible spot off of my body. I keep my insurance and registration in the driver's side visor, and my wallet on the middle console in the open. That way, I'm not reaching to my side or any other place the officer can not see.

Now, all of that being said, being a juvenile detention officer I am familiar with quite a few officers at various local PD's and the Sheriff's Department, so I don't find most traffic stops to be very tense to begin with.