Olympic Shooting Sports

tipoc

They are showing some of it on T.V. this time round. Folks can see the schedules, scoring, how they score and view the events live by going here...
www.nbcolympics.com

Look under shooting. They show the NRA convention, interviews with shooters, etc.

If you want to see some accurate one handed handgun shooting take a peek.

tipoc

JohnKSa

Administrator
Katie Emmons just took gold in women's air rifle. Her qualification score was a new olympic record and tied the world record--a perfect 400.

Jamie Beyerle of the U.S. took 4th. Her Finals Score was good enough to move her up a position. Her 9th shot moved her from 5th to 4th.

Lurch37

Man you had me worried there for a minute with that Title...glad to read it was about a Olympic event and not another media event.

JohnKSa

Administrator
Man you had me worried there for a minute with that Title...
I edited the thread title to make it less ambiguous. ;)

Jason Turner, shooting for the USA just staged a tremendous comeback after dropping 7 points in Series 3 to finish fourth in the qualification for Men's air pistol. He's only 3 points back from first--that gives him a very good chance to medal and a reasonable chance at gold. To put his comeback into perspective, it's only necessary to realize that the next highest competitor to drop 7 points on a single stage finished qualification in 16th place.

Brian Beaman also finished strong and raised his standing to 6th, 5 points out of the lead. That's probably going to take him out of contention for gold, but he's got a reasonable chance to medal.

tipoc

Emmons was shooting at a target just about 1/2" across from just under 33 ft.

Very patient and calm these women shooters.

The air rifle and pistol events are first. Centerfire rifle and pistol come in a few days. It can be watched live on a webcast and many of the events are on one or another tv station.

tipoc

JohnKSa

Administrator
Turner & Beaman tied for 4th in Men's 10m Air Pistol, one point out of third place and over 6 points away from gold. Beaman shot very well in the Finals (2nd highest Finals Score), but his qualification score was too much to overcome. Turner's Finals Score was tied for fifth with the shooter who took Bronze.

Another gold for China...

darkgael

Events

Olympic shooting - if ever there were "games of tens", these are the ones. That recovery from dropping seven points is amazing.
A note: "Centerfire rifle and pistol". Olympic firearms shooting events, except for shotgun, are rimfire only.
Pete

blume357

Wouldn't it be cool if they had something in a good old

50 cal rifle and out at 1000 yards or more?

Or, maybe they'll get Cowboy Action Shooting put in in the future.....

TimRB

I had the chance to tour the Olympic training center in Colorado Springs last year, including the indoor shooting range. None of the shooters were present, but the cardboard target backs that were left on the range were positive proof that the groups those guys shoot are nothing less than phenomenal.

Tim

darkgael

Olympic accuracy

I suppose that for the general public, watching shooting events is kind of like watching steel rust. Real slow. I find it riveting, especially the closing shots of a close match.
I am reminded when I watch these men and women shoot their remarkable groups - of ten shots from position, not just five or three from the bench - that we often forget that the .22 is arguably the most accurate cartridge that we can shoot - maybe the Anschutz has something to do with it but if the ammo wasn't sophisticated, the gun wouldn't save it at that level of skill.
Go Emmons.
Pete

JohnKSa

Administrator
Rebecca Snyder and Brenda Shinn are really struggling in Women's 10m Air Pistol.

They're still in the first couple of series of qualification and both have dropped too many points to be competitive.

Day 2 of Men's trap qualification is not looking great for the U.S. Dominic Grazioli, is 4 targets out of first place and Bret Erickson is 8 targets out of first--ranked 31 out of 35.

Interesting, I just watched the video of the Men's 10M Air Pistol. Apparently at one point during the finals Jason Turner was actually in 3rd place. Turner & Beaman had a shoot off to determine 4th place.

JohnKSa

Administrator
Corey Cogdell wins the first U.S. shooting sports medal in the 2008 Olympics!

She took bronze in Women's Trap but she had to win a 4 way shootout to do it.

Socrates

Sheik Ahmed Al Maktoum
Sheik Ahmed Al Maktoum
United Arab Emirates win first ever Olympic gold medal

Sheik Ahmed Al Maktoum of the United Arab Emirates won the first ever Olympic medal for the gulf nation in winning the double trap shooting event.

Maktoum finished tied for 18th in the same event at the 2000 Olympic Games in Sydney, and earlier in the Athens Games had finished 4th in the single trap shooting event.

The forty year-old Maktoum, is a member of Dubai's ruling family, and was educated in the United States, at Western States University in Phoenix, Arizona.

Newspapers in Australia after the 2000 Sydney games reported that as the Sheik went through the airport in Sydney, he was asked for his flight number by Australian customs. His short answer was reportedly "No number, no airline, my plane." Customs then asked for the registration number of his plane which he didn't have. He then told customs officials that he had five planes, and he just phoned for one of them to come pick him. A 747 showed up to take him home!

Now THAT'S traveling in STYLE!

Pretty sure this guy is shooting double trap, and, the irony is his older brother is a better shot...

If I did my research right, besides being part of the royal family, he's also in charge of aviation in Dubai.

JohnKSa

Administrator
Men's Double Trap is looking good for the U.S. Walton Eller has qualified first with a new Olympic Record (145 out of 150 targets) and Jeff Holguin qualified third only one target out of second.

Both Eller and Holguin are members of the Army Marksmanship Unit. You can learn more about them here.

http://www.armyathletesolympians.com/

LanceOregon

Corey Cogdell wins the first U.S. shooting sports medal in the 2008 Olympics!

She took bronze in Women's Trap but she had to win a 4 way shootout to do it.

You know, that Corey is sort of a cutie pie for being such a Tom Boy.

Here is a photo of her back home relaxing in the wilds of her native Alaska:

Corey8.jpg

If I was a nearby bird, I don't know if I would be very relaxed with her being around! :D:D

LanceOregon

Shooting at the Olympics has changed a lot over the years. Women's events were first introduced in 1984 at the Los Angeles Olympics. Before that, there were only events for men. The first air gun event was also started in 1984. And they have really taken off and grown in popularity, as gun ownership ( especially handguns ) is now illegal in more and more nations.

There used to be a 300 meter long range centerfire rifle competition. But that was phased out after 1972. Americans generally did very well in that event, and often won the gold, including that final year.

This year also saw the elimination of the running target rifle competition, where competitors would at a moving target with a .22 rimfire rifle. While this sport is popular in some European countries, the Olympic committee decided it was not popular enough world-wide to merit being in the Olympics. So a long history of that event ended at the 2004 Olympics.