Old style Lee hand priming tool

KBP

I just bought my first Marlin 1895G 45/70. I want to reload, and have almost everything ready to start but my trusty Lee hand primer needs the 45/70 screw on type shell holder. I think the shell holder number is R. Does anyone know where I can buy one? I am willing to buy that one or even an entire set. Yes, I have the Lee auto prime, but like the old screw on hand primer much better. Thanks for any help !

F. Guffey

I have at least three different Lee type priming tools, I have 'screw together' type shell holders for trimming, I have the hammer-in primer tools. I also have the hand held, one at a time primer installers that are caliber specific. I suggest you contact Lee.

F. Guffey

KBP,

I am unaware of Lee ever making a screw-on shell holder, but maybe I missed something. All the ones I've owned over the last 40 years have been just like press shell holders, but without the T-profile flange that slips into the shell holder slot on a press ram. They've always had the same Lee numbering system. The Lee shell holder number for 45-70 is a number 8 in either the press or Autoprime style. I don't know of any shell holders having letter designations except a few A and B suffixes on Lyman holders, and CH4D has a few letter designated holders.

Here is a cross reference table of shell holders by cartridge. You can buy the Autoprime style #8 holder here.

flashhole

Your life would be a lot simpler if you bought a priming tool that uses RCBS type shell holders. There are lots of different products and variations available.

Can you post a pic of your tool? I'm in Unclenick's camp. No awareness of such an animal.

flashhole

Congratulations on your purchase. I own an 1895 Guide Gun, mine has the ported barrel. Wonderfully accurate gun. I shoot a lot of the Hornady 350 grain bullets and 340 grain bullets that I cast myself using a Lee mold. H-4895 for the Hornady bullet and Varget for my cast bullets.

KBP

Re: case trimmer

Hi Again! Thanks for all that posted a reply! You advice is taken. To the unbelievers check out ebay item # 141560686799 and you will see what I am looking for. Only problem it is not shell holder "R" (for 45/70} By the way, I have a new style Lee auto prime. I like the old one MUCH better!

Last edited:

KBP

Re: case trimmer

download Lee priming tool.jpgHi to All! Here goes! I will try to post a picture of my priming tool.download Lee priming tool.jpg

Kframe

Wow, I have that exact tool.
Probably about 50 years old.

I too would be interested in knowing where to get screw-in shell holders.
Mine has one that fits .38/.357 and I only found out recently that it can be unscrewed.

For volume, I use my Lee AutoPrime (the older, round one).

But, this little antique is just the perfect accompaniment to the Lee Loader (I don't like hammering primers into place).

KBP

Re:OLD LEE case trimmer

Hi! Ebay has a few of the screw on shell holders for the old priming tool. None so far for my 45/70 Its just a waiting game to see what pops up on there!

Kframe

KBP, sweet! I'll check that out, thanks.
It'd be nice to have holders for 9x19 and .45 ACP, I just never knew I had the option with this relic.
Looks to be cast zinc, and it's so stupid simple it will still work in 500 years.

HiBC

I used to use the tool being discussed,it was a simple,one primer at a time tool.Would be good for loading 45-70.Yes,it had a unique shell holder with fine threads,maybe 9/16 or so,that screwed into the tool.

So good,I gave mine to a late friend for his Sharps.

F. Guffey

I also have the hand held, one at a time primer installers that are caliber specific.

The one at a time hand primers came in kits, the kits were the Target models. The kit also had neck sizer die with the reamer. I have two sets. Over time other kits became separated, RCBS also sold a 'one at a time' hand primer, somewhere? I have one of those.

I have a pile of screw on shell holders for the hand primers I have from kits that have become scattered over time. I never thought of them as being rare.

F. Guffey

Longshot4

You can try EBay or any of that type search. They are out there as old used equipment. I have a few from back in 1978 or so. It is a good tool in fact you can adjust the depth of your primers with the screw holders. All though the problem I found as you get more types of cases you will continue to have the problem of finding the holders. I simply ordered a new type with the primer tray and box of holders. But I think the number of holders have been reduced and don't all fit so well. I some times have Hornet cases slip out of the holder damaging the rim. I have herd that the Sinclair priming tool is the way to go.

Lemmon

I first started loading 38 special in 1974 using the Lee Classic loader. Using the tap tap bang method in installing primers. Found the Lee priming tool that required the purchase of the screw in shell holder. I believe I had the 30-30 shell holder along with the 38/357 shell holder. One at a time load ..... slow but much quieter than the tap tap bang method of the Classic loader method.....

Next big change in reloading was the carbide pistol die.........

Lemmon from rural South Carolina.......

snuffy

P6220052.JPG

P6220053.JPG

P6220051.JPG

I had a couple of these I bought when I first started reloading back in 1972. They worked just fine as long as you took care to get the threads started straight, it was SO easy to cross thread them. Along about ten years ago, somebody asked if anybody had some of them, along with certain shell holders. Don't remember if it was on here or where the forum was, I responded and worked out a price. Since then I found some more shell holders.

If anybody is interested, I have A, B, V, and F.

snuffy

A- .22 hornet.
V- or possibly a K? 44 mag. Stamp is poorly done, most likely a K.
F-45 auto .
P- 45 colt

10 bucks for the lot, plus postage. Let me know if you want them, PM me with an snail mail addy.