Old guy, old powders

GeauxTide

I never had a problem with any pistol powder in my Uniflow. After 40 years, I replaced it with a Lyman electronic measure/scale. Throws any powder within .1. For rifles, I have a trickler to bring it up to exact.

hgmeyer

This puzzles me a little. I've never had a problem with Unique in my RCBS Uniflow measure. I use the small chamber and a baffle along with the "double tap"method on the handle. Double tap means raise the handle up and tap firmly on the upstroke. Lower handle about 1/3 of the way and then up again firmly. Then drop the handle all the way down firmly to dispense powder. Raise handle 1/3 of the way and then down again firmly to shake out any grains that may be stuck in the dispenser chamber.

The above said, it is obvious I am not using a progressive press; I load with a single stage in batches of 50 cartridges, one operation at a time. If one has the ability with his press to use the "double tap" method, it may help with getting uniform charges with Unique powder.

I don't know if Nick_C_S uses my method, but he also seems to have worked out a way to accurately measure Unique.
Same method,double tap, on Uniflow. Always.

Started loading in the early sixties. Uncle had the presses in his gas station. Loaded .38 and 12ga.... Both ran fine with Red Dot.

Today, lots of different powders. But, always buying AA#5, Unique, and 4227. Rifle powders are all over for .222, .223, .257, .264, .284, .308, .311, most in 1 to 3 flavors. Variety can make this stuff more fun.