Old guy, old powders

C7AR15

Been reloading since 1980. I have always used the same powders for my handgun loads. I'm just wondering if there are better powders with superior results now available?

Using

9mm. Unique
.38 special. Winchester 231
.357 magnum. Winchester 296 or Blue Dot

.45 ACP Bullseye
.44 magnum. Winchester 296 or

What's hot and what's not ?

black mamba

I've had great success with Western Powders. Ramshot Silhouette is a very accurate and efficient powder with a burn rate between Herco and Blue Dot. Accurate 4100 (or Ramshot Enforcer, same powder) is a great slow powder for top magnum speeds. Burns super clean, meters super accurate, and gives terrific accuracy.

kmw1954

Have 2nd that about Ramshot Silhouette. Have been using it in 380 and 9mm with great results. Also do a lot od indoor shooting and I can tell the difference in air quality when using it.

Have also been using HP-38/231 in 9mm and will continue to.

Just started loading 45acp but haven't yet been able to test them.

hdwhit

C&AR15 asked:
I'm just wondering if there are better powders with superior results now available?

What do you consider to be "superior results"? Are you looking for something cleaner burning? Or something that is easier to meter consistently? Or additives that are supposed to reduce copper fouling of the barrel?

I started loading in 1978. I was on a medically imposed hiaitur from reloading between about 1994 and 2014. When I resumed, I was surprised to see all the new powders. I tried a number of them. And while I did end up adopting HP-38 which I had not used before, for the most part I found no powder with a clear enough advantage over the standbys I had been using; Bullseye, Hi-Skor 700X, Hi-Skor 800-X, Unique & Blue Dot to justify switching.

Northof50

Ha! I started to laugh reading your post. But, then thought, I've been reloading for about as long...Maybe that's why I like all your powders. I like Universal Clays for the 9mm for plinking plated bullets. Unique for the 45. 2400 for the 357 and 110 for the 44.

In my opinion, no there's nothing better - just different.

lordmorgul

Win231 burns grossly with bright flash and leftover powder... least when we tried it in 40SW, Accurate #2 and Accurate #5 are great, very clean.

Tsquared

Blue Dot and Bullseye were my dad's two favorite powders for 40 years. I keep a pound of each on hand just "because".

I use Unique in my 45ACP loads, CFEpistol in my 9mm, and Blue Dot in the 44. I don't shoot much of the 44 so it can be a year or two before I get enough brass to do a run.

Last edited:

DaleA

C7AR15-Good luck, don't forget to come back tell us your results.

P.S. I strayed from my old reliable list and tried Titegroup and did NOT like the results at all (.357 magnum lead semi-wadcutters).

After bad mouthing the powder I later realized I didn't know what the heck I was doing.

Other folk I respect used Titegroup without the problems I had (excessive smoke, poor accuracy).

The point being I should have done a little more research on the new powder before trying it and should have changed JUST ONE COMPONENT at a time. That's the 'scientific method'. I'm aware of it. I didn't pay attention to it. I messed up and will willingly admit that Titegroup can be a fine powder.

Nick_C_S

Power Pistol is very clean burning replacement of Unique or 231.

Power Pistol is a great clean burning replacement for Unique. I believe it outperforms it in most every aspect. Certainly runs cleaner and meters better. Power Pistol is a derivative of Bullseye (I believe its original name was BE-84). It even looks absolutely identical; meters likewise. Like Bullseye, it's energetic and unforgiving - but does a great job propelling bullets. PP's burn rate however, is considerably slower; moving it squarely into the "intermediate" category of pistol powders. It's not a fast burner like Bullseye and W231. I find it a tad slower than intermediate Unique.

Nothing is a substitute for W231. I've tried. AA#2 probably comes closest - I think #2 runs a tad slower; so it may not do quite as well for low-level loadings. But it does come close and I've made lots of good ammo with it. As for Power Pistol, it's apples n oranges compared to W231 - they bear no resemblance to one-another.

As for W296 - there is no substitute. It's its own thing and does what it does second to none. Just my opinion. It fell out of favor with me only because my shooting style changed to were I moved to something a little faster and move versatile - 2400. Certainly not a new powder :D.

m&p45acp10+1

The Accurate series of powders are awesome in pistol loads. I like the AA#9 for magnum loadings. It can be used with cast lead. As well as on the top end it is very close to H110/Win296 in velocity without the high flash. Also it does not require magnum primers. It is kinda like 2400 only cleaner.

For the .38 Special there is no cleaner burning powder than Trail Boss. It gives great case fill as well. It is not going to be winning any prizes for high velocity though. I get accurate low recoil target loads without the unburned powder, and soot.

std7mag

Unique, Red Dot, Green Dot for LSWC in 45 ACP.
Silhouette for JHP, JFP in 45 ACP.

Silhouette, True Blue for 9mm.

Alliant MP300 for 357 Magnum.

BigJimP

Like you, I have been reloading a long time...( since the early 60's )...and I have moved away from some of the older formulas, mostly to Hodgdon powders....because some of them got tougher to find ( mostly during the shortage between ( 2010 and 2014 or so ...)....

Hodgdon Universal is a good powder for a lot of loads/calibers you listed.

I also like Hodgdon TiteGroup ...and have used it in all the calibers you listed too. TiteGroup has very small Min and Max, so you have to be careful with it / but its been my go to powder for all your listed calibers for the last 20 yrs or so.

It kind of depends on your press...and what meters most consistently in your powder measure.

gwpercle

My loading goes back to 1967...for many years I used Bullseye, Unique and 2400 for handguns . That wouldn't have changed except for the last great powder shortage ...
No Bullseye, no Unique and no 2400 could be found...so I had to use whatever I could find on the dealers shelves...a few times they had NO handgun powders...So I started buying any powder if I thought I had data for it.
Which in a way was good, it made me try other powders that I normally wouldn't have even looked at.

In place of Bullseye : Red Dot, 700X , Titegroup and AA#2

In place of Unique : AA#5, HP-38 , Universal and 800X

In place of 2400 : not much...H110 and AA# 9

The Accurate Arms #5 has given outstanding accuracy in 357 magnum and warrants more work...this might be a keeper.

jamaica

Old Timers? Hmmmm..... lessee, think I started re-loading about 1955. Just a 15 year old kid at the time. 30-30 was my first cartridge to load. Been playing with it a lot of years. Good hobby. Have fun.

Nick_C_S

The Accurate Arms #5 has given outstanding accuracy in 357 magnum and warrants more work...this might be a keeper.

Been there. Done that. You won't be disappointed.

I even made a "short barrel" 158 XTP loading with it that's a gem. A respectable 1097 f/s thorough a 3" bbl (1159 - 4") in a tight little package that handles really well with minimal flash, report, and recoil.