Old fashioned quick draw

BlueTrain

I certainly agree with your statement that some carry methods don't lend themselves to a fast draw. If you've ever seen Chic Gaylord's old book, you might be surprised at some of the hideout places he mentions. But he went into fast draw at great length in his book just the same.

Ultimately I suppose it is another case of a compromise between a fast draw set up and concealment, if that is part of the equation. There is also security for the handgun, so it doesn't get lost, and to some extent, protection of the handgun from the elements. In fact, you might say that just about every practical consideration in a holster beyond fast draw detracts from a fast draw in some way. A fast draw from a flapped holster is just about impossible, for instance. However, most of those other carries usually thought of as deep carry are generally thought of as being for a second gun or when concealment is the most important consideration.

There has been mention in obscure places of men who habitually carried a small pistol like an old-fashioned derringer in their left hand pocket where they could keep a hand on it when they felt the need. That's a good idea (and old fashioned) but I don't suppose that fits the context here. But some older carry methods that seemed to have gone out of fashion were, I'm given to understand, were quite fast. There doesn't seem to be much mention of shoulder holsters here but maybe I'm not reading the right threads. You can carry just about anything in a shoulder holster and provided you come to terms with what is basically a cross draw, they can be fast and moreover, they don't drag down your pants.

Willie-Boy

Quote:

Another thought. Buy the right holster / rig for what you'll be doing. If this is for professional or CCW carry than you need to use what you'll wear. I use my DeSantis shoulder rig, horizontal draw when I have a jacket on or my Fobus for shirtsleeve days.

I was trying to highlight holster choice affecting speed but it was missed in the general din. I would put my DeSantis shoulder rig up against anyone. With the horizontal draw I have my Glock 35 out with the laser on in less than a second.

As for the SAA Colt, etc. I consider these to be hobby pieces not a practial weapon in this day and age.

Just my 2 cents, I apologize in advance for anyone that I get lock jawed.

Nnobby45

Your post reminds me of the guy who was visiting his therapist and says, " I don't know what you call it, but I know what I want to say, but, well I take longer to say it than most people in order to get people to understand what I'm getting at, even though I eventually get my point across so people understand what I'm saying".

The therapist looks at him and says, "wordiness".;)

No offense.:)

Don't know what you mean by Old Fashioned Draw, but practicing modern techniques until you're proficient works fine.

pythagorean

The point is that most of the time we need to draw the gun instead of brandishing it and giving away our position and whatever plastic auto shooter we are wielding.

You are not a danger until the perp realizes he has been shot with a Colt SAA drawn faster from the hip than a usual modern concealed or open carry.

We are not in Hollywood or on CSI.

Period.

TeamSinglestack

Quick draw can turn into "fumble" draw real....well, quick. :)

Some folks really get hung up on having a "quick" draw, but "quick" is a relative term that hinges on individual ability, training, and dedication to consistent practice for sustainment.

IMO, most folks are better served by focusing on establishing and maintaining a smooth and deliberate draw that can be repeated EVERY time. With dedication to practice, the draw will naturally speed up, and for those that don't commit to practice, they will have a lesser chance of fumbling when they may need their gun most.

While "quick" is good, smooth with a lesser chance of fumbling is better imo.

Nnobby45

While "quick" is good, smooth with a lesser chance of fumbling is better imo.

That's correct, I'd say, but a discussion that explores the subject of some special kind of draw that that eliminates the need to practice is kinda interesting, kind of amusing.

SMOOTH is what leads to QUICK no matter what kind of draw you use and that means practice. Some of us talk as though we have to sacrafice one for the other, but without the skill developed with SMOOTH practice, the possibility of fumbling becomes more likely.

Might be a good thing to practice, since when one's life is on the line and under a great deal of stress, NOBODY (ok, very few) is going to remember to slow down and be smooth. You've either got it by then, or you don't.

Trying to draw faster than one's ability is akin to shooting before one as acquired a sight picture.:cool:

Last edited:

BlueTrain

Well, there are issues with whether or not you even have time to form a sight picture, though I am aware of some fast and accurate shots in the past always claimed that's what they did, so who am I to argue the point. But all comments on fumbling are right on target, so to speak, and I believe I admitted to having done that. And for that reason, I find a thumb safety to be not exactly a hinderance but problematice because my thumb seems to be busy doing something else, like holding onto the pistol. I've never used any form of high thumb grip and I'm usually only thinking of a one handed draw, too, as well as shooting. Yes, it takes practice to shoot with only one hand.

pythagorean

No sight picture. No time. The weapon is taken out of the holster and fired into the target. End of conflict. All that is needed is a gun that can be drawn and operated to send the first bullet home.

The DA is not as well balanced as the SA. The cocking with the thumb is part of the process in aligning the weapon. If it is a DA with SA option it is not balanced properly like a Colt SAA.

If you jerk the DA trigger you could miss by yards.

013-2.jpg

019-1.jpg

018-1.jpg

This Colt Frontier Six Shooter is easily the fastest fired handgun from the hip I have ever owned whether revolver DA or SA or semi auto.

Easily.

Last edited:

jimbob86

I understand the guys who shoot IDPA with Glock 34s and 1911s and XDMs and MP Pros... what I don't understand is why they carry Kel-Tecs and LCPs. Okay, I do understand it - for convenience - obviously.

Hey! I carry a 1911! (It's a tiny one though!)

Nnobby45

Well, there are issues with whether or not you even have time to form a sight picture....... But all comments on fumbling are right on target, so to speak, and I believe I admitted to having done that. And for that reason, I find a thumb safety to be not exactly a hinderance but problematice because my thumb seems to be busy doing something else, like holding onto the pistol.

When it comes to sight picture you can't make a blanket statement as if all distances were the same. One to Three yds. is one thing, 10yds is another matter. Not having time for a sight picture is not having time to hit the target at most ranges---not saying it can't happen, just making the distinction.

Operating the thumb safety reliably is a matter of practicing your draw, or from the ready position. It's adapting to the gun rather than letting the gun adapt to you by changing weapons. It also takes plenty of practice before one reliably de-cocks the pistol every time.

I realize that not everyone has been Farnumized into learning different pistol systems---but that's too bad. Doesn't keep you from learning the one you prefer REAL well.

Last edited:

threegun

The point is that most of the time we need to draw the gun instead of brandishing it and giving away our position and whatever plastic auto shooter we are wielding.

You are not a danger until the perp realizes he has been shot with a Colt SAA drawn faster from the hip than a usual modern concealed or open carry.

We are not in Hollywood or on CSI.

No sight picture. No time. The weapon is taken out of the holster and fired into the target. End of conflict. All that is needed is a gun that can be drawn and operated to send the first bullet home.

The OP specifically excluded the single action and its holster.

pythagorean

If the OP does not consider the SA revolver part of the post I missed it.

About carrying a sidearm for defense I have some things to say.

One. Don't.
Two. Use a high powered rifle if you think your life is threatened.
Three. From the holster limited to a handgun all you plastic and auto and DA freaks are totally out of line.

Willie-Boy

Quote:

If the OP does not consider the SA revolver part of the post I missed it.

About carrying a sidearm for defense I have some things to say.

One. Don't.
Three. From the holster limited to a handgun all you plastic and auto and DA freaks are totally out of line.

Thank God! The mighty SAA gunslinger is here to save us all. Just be careful where you go shooting with that antique, the laughter will sour you for life.

threegun

One. Don't.

How about if you feel your life could be threatened? Totally out of line how?

My plastic auto will make you just as dead as that old SAA. Add some concealment clothing to your SAA like we have to deal with from our plastic autos and you will be lucky to equal our speed much less surpass it.

BlueTrain

My reference to single action revolvers and Hollywood holster was meant to indicate I was not referring to the competitive walk and draw Western style events popular in the 1950s and 1960s. I did not mean to suggest that single action revolvers, no more than single action autos are a bad choice for personal defense. There is a photo of a sheriff in the Wikipedia article about sheriffs taken supposedly in 1940. He has a single action revolver, undoubtedly a Colt, that is not being carried in a Hollywood holster. I've even owned about a half-dozen single action revolvers myself, including one genuine Colt, all the rest being imitations and patent infringments.

I'm sure I haven't been Farnumized or Cooperized but I've tried to learn as many pistol systems as I've been able to. My first pistol was a Mauser C96 bought in Germany around 1966 or 1967. My second, bought the same place (and which I may have acquired first) was a Browning HP. I've had about a half dozen or more Colt (or imitations) autos in all sizes and all calibers except .22. I've own most variations of S&W revolvers included a pre-war registered .357 Magnum, plus a number of Colt DA revolvers. And I think I've barely scratched the surface of general handgun knowledge.