Old .22 caliber rifles

sirgilligan

browning_1.jpg

scoremaster2.jpg

scoremaster1.jpg

MarkDozier

I have a 1933 model 33 Remingtom single shot. It was a prokect gun my daddy never got done before he passed. I brought it home and rebuilt it. It sure got a lot of attention/use at the last family fun at my club.

grumpa72

Lots of replies here but let me throw my hat into the old Mossberg hat. 1940s (late) and 1950s are plentiful, relatively affordable and parts are available. My 44US(c) has the heavy barrel and routinely shoots 2" circles at 50 yards. I love it.

Kev

Pops bought a Remington Targetmaster 22 from a coworker when I was 15 or so, paid 25 bucks and walked in and handed it to me.
Single shot, pull knob to cock bolt action.
Really long barrel, can't remember how long.
It's in California, now I want to send for it!

The old Savage single-shot from the late 40s (?) is almost identical to Rumpelhardt's Winchester. My grandfather used it on squirrels.

How many of you guys/gals also have the Romanian M-69 Trainer? It seems like a mini-Mauser using .22LR.
They were reportedly used to prepare young guys for the army AKs.

Enfielder

You never know where you can find a great 22 looking for a good home. I was looking in the antique section of Craig's List, and found an ad for a 22 rifle for $120. The poster only gave the description "Mod. 67 Winchester". I don't normally collect 22 rifles, but I learned to shoot with a Mod. 67, and I hadn't seen many online or at gunshows. I knew the add would quickly be flagged, so I hurriedly copied down the number, and soon called it. The poster needed the money to get her bird patched up after an attack by her cat. The rifle was the only thing of value she inherited from her grandfather. When I met her to inspect the rifle, it was night and raining. Even in the dark, I could see that the little rifle had only some minor blemishes. I paid the young lady the money, and took the rifle home. On examination of the antique rifle, it was soon apparent that the barrel was packed in grease, and the bolt did not show any evidence that the gun had ever been fired. There was a minor rusting on the barrel from a palm print long ago that had never been wiped off. All the dings and scrapes were on the right side of the stock, indicating that the rifle had been leaned up in a closet, and not protected with a case. I have cleared the barrel and put the rifle in the safe. It's waiting there now for one of my grandchildren, who can sell it someday for money to fix a bird or a rat.

n5lyc

M44US marked US PROPERTY

I recently picked up a Mossberg M44US, stamped US PROPERTY.
It is parkerized, and from the serial number it is from the first group ordered from Mossberg, January, 1943.
http://home.epix.net/~damguy/44usnumbers.htm

With CCI green tag it shoots like this at 25 yds 5 shots.
With the factory peep sight..

Never underestimate an old Mossberg...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 60

n5lyc

don't cry, I haven't taken one of the whole rifle yet, just the serial number.
and stored on a flash drive with the other serial numbers in my safe (not the gun safe, the OTHER safe)

I will get some and post them.

My two favorites are an old Winchester Model 67 from the late 30's early 40's, and a Remington Nylon 66.

Here is a stock photo of a Winchester 67.
f5eebb88e262aeacf843731a51f02086.jpg

I learned to shoot on one of these rifles and loved it. They are accurate and single shot. The Nylon I have is almost as accurate and I love the look on people faces when I start dropping 22's in the buttstock..lol

JWT

I've always wanted a Winchester Model 62A pump action .22. My dad had one when I was a kid and I always coveted that gun. A couple weeks ago I saw one on Guns America that looked nice and was in my price range. Picked it up yesterday at the FFL I use. It's in even better shape than advertised. Really nice. Went tto be with a big smile.

Can't wait to shoot the little gun.

n5lyc

M44US some shooting photos.

I still have not taken any good photos of the gun, but have these.

This is the range owner shooting my Mossberg, and a target or so.

He wants one so bad, he made me several attractive offers, but I turned them down.

I have never had a rifle that shoots like this one.
Nor has he..

We didn't shoot paper this day, just range trash, shells, and some playing cards on edge. .

We hit things as small as 9mm cases, and .223 cases, attached is a photo of a .40 S&W case shot at 25 yards with peep sights.

And the card and paper targets were at 25 also.

But the paper target was from last weekend group number 5, 10 shots.

I now have a new mossberg convert.

45 Bravo

invmtj.jpg

9i624y.jpg

72qgc2.jpg

21azhbp.jpg

Last edited:

thelaststripper

Rem 510

I've had a Remington model 510 for several years, made in 1949, that I have finally taken in for restoration. It belonged to a friend from my youth that is still a friend today (I'm 58). We did a lot of hunting when we were kids and he was such an amazing shot with open sights and long distance with this .22. He became a felon so I sold his guns for him but I kept the .22 because I have a few Remington rifles already. It was in rough shape when I took it in, bolt handle was missing and the stock where the bolt pulls down was beat up from using a screwdriver to cock and eject rounds So I'm excited to see it with a refinished stock and a mirror blued finish. I'll post pics. Also, held it up to look through the sights and the rear sight was pretty fuzzy, the gunsmith is reluctant to put scope mounts on, too thin, any ideas?

FairWarning

I have my father's old Remington Targetmaster that was already ancient when I was a kid in the early '80s. Haven't researched the year yet, but it may have been his father's also! The new kid on the block in my dad's collection back then was a Marlin Model 60, which is itself rather old by now. The Targetmaster would outshoot it hands down, but the tubular magazine and semi-auto fire made it very appealing to me as a kid. :D

Shootrj2003

Kind of an old post but worthy of reenergizing as it is an excellent subject,Old 22.’s,that’s almost all I have and they were great before so much plastic( not that there’s anything wrong with that!- Jerry Seinfeld) I hung onto one for maybe twenty years before I finally found the trigger group and bolt to complete it ,now it’s a great rifle,I have a box of nylon 66 parts too waiting for a disconnect or.but most of my .22’s are from the 50’s and 60’s and most are accurate and work like Swiss watches ,love that era and earlier.