old 1911 military model (1918)

11bravo_2papa

i was lucky enough to come across an old military 1911 the other day and trying to do some research. its a colt make with united states property on one side and model of 1911 u.s. army on the reverse. i have been able to date it to 1918 but would like to hopefully trace to a military unit and possible a combat theatre. if anyone out there knows of a good website our books to reference please let me know.

VHinch

That's a tough one to do, as records were seldom kept to that level of detail. Post some pics, particularly of the markings, and we can tell pretty much everything there is to know about.

11bravo_2papa

colt-1911-238482-left-1[1].jpg

Colt-1911-238482-front-grip[1].jpg

colt-1911-238482-top-slide[1].jpg
My camera couldn't capture the detail but here are some pictures off of google images of a pistol with the same markings. My serial number is 250xxx. Hopefully that might help.

jondar

I wish you luck. (Seriously) I've tried this on my 1918 Colt Model 1911. A kind gentleman on another forum who was knowlegable on 1911's traced mine which has a ser #4501XX to a manufacture date of early 1918 and was shipped to (I think) the Brooklyn Navy Yard and then on to France where the 1911's were issued to various units. That was where the provenence stopped and I was unable to trace it any further. Most of these 1911's saw action in one way or another, I believe, and upon manufacture and inspection were shipped to the areas of conflict. Hope this helps.

Singlesix1954

I wish you best of luck in your quest. I too have tryed this quest with my 1911 A1. My lucky break was the Name Rank and SN left on inside of grip. If you have not checked for this you should. It was a enlisted mans traditon for years. Sometimes provedence on a GI is more avalible than on his/her gear.

Good luck and Gods speed.

VHinch

Try setting your camera to macro mode. This will allow more detail shots.

In lieu of pictures, how about a description of any markings. Field strip the weapon and make a list of any markings you see and their locations.Common locations will be left side of the trigger guard, on the barrel hood, on the barrel lugs, in front of the rear sight, on the firing pin stop, on the frame in front of the disconnector. Also list any markings present on the magazine.

A picture of the grips will help as well to determine if they are original.

You are correct on the date, is was manufactured in 1918. Beyond that I can't tell you much without knowing more.

jondar

I couldn't make out a barrel marking on your photo. Here is the intertwined HP that the original barrels for the Colt's manufactured in that time frame looked like. Hope my photo is clear enough to show it.

Attachments

• 1911 Colt Barrel Mks.jpg
    1911 Colt Barrel Mks.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 34