Oklahoma City Man Kills Fleeing Carjacker

shafter

Even the vehicle is trying to run over you, you may still have hard time arguing reasonableness. Isn't it easier to step aside than shooting the vehicle stop? Isn't it a reasonable man would do?

It's going to depend on the situation. As always, if I can escape without using force then I will. If you are caught in the open then you probably don't have many options.

Mannlicher

right or wrong, carjacking is high risk, and getting shot as a consequence is a possibility that the thug should consider up front.

Pahoo

Measuring our choices ???

Some would ask; Was your car worth taking a person's life ??

Others would ask; Was taking a car, worth possibly loosing, your life ??

Be Safe !!!

FireForged

Emotional control is very important. These situations often boil down to what you MUST DO, not what you ( want to do) or what you (can do).

JohnKSa

Administrator
There was a time when a horse thief could be shot or hung on sight but those days are long gone.
Some years ago, I found a repository that had the TX legal codes going back into the 1800s. I read through some of the old codes and discovered that at one point during the 19th century it was legal, in TX, to shoot a criminal fleeing the scene of certain very serious crimes as long as one could do it without chasing them.

In other words, as long as the shot could be made from the scene of the crime, it was legal.

Times (and laws) are very different now.

fastbolt

The right of owning and using a firearm comes with the responsibility of knowing the laws governing its use, especially in self defense. Shirking that responsibility can have consequences.

Scorch

putting Oklahoma’s “Stand Your Ground” laws to the test.
Doesn't sound like this has anything to do with "Stand Your Ground". He may try that defense, but it likely won't work. The car was driving away, his life was not in immediate danger.
My only problem with the OK "constitutional carry" law is the fact that no training is required prior to carrying a firearm.
As in any situation, training is always a good idea, but in this is not required because it is an inalienable right. You can't force people to get smarter, just like you can't teach people about how to vote or exercise the right to free speech. The courts will do that for them, and it won't be pleasant. A few hours in a classroom would have avoided the problem.