Ok....223...Mini14?AR15?AR180?

Another option might be the Golani/Galil Sporters. Used to not care for them for irrelevant, personal reasons, but this is a legit, user friendly final evolution of the Kalashnikov. It uses it's own mags, which are 35 rd. to the good, but costly or rust coated in recent examples. I got A WASR last fall and liked it for what it was, but the side lever firecontrol/safety is for the birds if you've ever operated an AR. The pre-94 (or 89) originals are big money exotics. Now prices have come down. Even coming from Century this is no stamped, beater AK. IIRC there was a mag adapter to take AR-15 mags*.
.223's esp. the European types were always my favorite type of guns, where I'd blow my first wad if I won the lottery. Saw an ad in SGN for US recievers, compliance parts, and original stuff for Beretta AR-70's, no complete guns yet to my knowledge. It's just cool to me to see stuff like this around again, right in the face of M4 dominance. Would be tempted to snap one of those Galil's myself in due time but they tape out at 29.5" folded, and here in the Wolverine state that means a half inch shy, requires a handgun permit, and I'll be damned to register a long gun.

The M-17 is good if you ever see one, too bad they went OOP. If they brought it back, with a left side charger and just a rail on top (and elsewhere) would make an excellent carbine, giving a full 20" to make any load effective, but still just 30" OAL. People just don't like bullpups I guess.

*off the top of my head, rifles that take AR Mags (old, new, military only):
All AR's (incl. pistols, OA's, ZM, Carbon 15, etc., duh), SU-16s, new Rem. police pump, Bushmaster rifle and armpistol, Daewoo's, Australian Arms/Leader SAR and SAP, AR-180's, Stoner 63 and Robinson M-96 and XCR, Sig 556, Bush. M-17S, the "Crossfire" 12g/223, new FN Bullpup, new Beretta (and of course the OICW and SCAR projects, I think the Famas and L85A1 or whatever English bullpup)

w/adapter-AUG, Galils

no go-HK93, FNC, AR-70, AK's and Valmets, Mini 14, Sigs,

armoredman

I like my Mini-14. It works with anything I feed it, and that includes some oddball handloads. The magazine issue is a sticking point, have a bunch of aftermarkets to try once it gets out of the shop. Accuracy is OK, for me, better than my Yugo SKS.
BTW, Ruger is NOT selling the 20 round factory mags in any way other than with the NRA Mini-14. That's the only way to get them from Ruger, otherwise it's $50 each on the open market.

Chui

Check out a magazine called Small Arms Review, Vol. 11, No. 6, March 2008 pp 59 - 72. Your questions are answered to a fair degree. They discuss the AR180, AR-15/M-16/M4, AR-10 and Mini-14 in an interview with Jim Sullivan. EVERYONE participating in this thread should obtain a copy.

Phone: (702) 565-2926
E-mail: SAReview@aol.com

Last edited:
They sell back issues? I ordered a sample from a American Survival Guide cutout back when they were the Machine Gun News, and got stiffed. Really wanted to read the article on 'Clyde's #2 Whipit: Remington 17". Never recieved my copy. Damn I want that article. Probably by Rick Cartledge too, the expert in my area. Those "Oklahombres' articles he wrote contained exclusive info, but not a click away anymore. Anyone know this man's email, please help me out.
Planning to Subscribe to SAR and Gun Tests, (as well as Fox.)

MosinM38

Lol. I haven't been meaning to put off buying ;) Just happens I haven't had the time/money to look into getting a quality gun.

Chui= Thanks!!!! I will email them and ask what a back-copy costs!!!.

I thought about the Galil, But mag availability is even worse than the Mini, although they would probably be mostly reliable.

Anyway!!! Thanks for all the helps and hints. Whenever I latch onto something, I will post back and let you know how it shoots ;) (PROBABLY...a AR15..Who knows..Maybe someone will let a good gun go cheap..>Who knows?).

P.S. Yeah I know. Watch for a dud...But I am somewhat inspired/lucky... Dad got a Ruger Red label 12 Gauge for $450, and a Colt Diamondback(Mint) for $150, and I got a Basically brand new S&W 1917 for $430, (Which I already had a offer of $680 for). Who knows...It's all in the fun of looking for a gun.

Let you know how it turns out!!!!