Oiling your gun

Standing Wolf

Member in memoriam
...is Hoppes 9 still the best way to clean and oil?

I've been using Hoppe's No. 9 about four decades now. It does a fine job of cleaning, but isn't a lubricant. It definitely should not be used on nickel-plated guns.

All the modern cleaning solutions are pretty good, and most of them don't smell as noticeably as Hoppe's No. 9. I believe all the oils and greases are pretty good, too. I'm still using Rem Oil after all these years, but won't try to tell you it's better than some other brand.

I can tell you I left a thumb print on the barrel of my pre-agreement Smith & Wesson model 27-2 by touching it as I was putting it away after a thorough cleaning. Lesson learned the hard way: invest in silicone-treated cloths and handle guns with care after cleaning.

Ridgerunner665

I use Fluid Film...it doesn't wipe off so easily.

http://www.fluid-film.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up8CTEvlTk4&feature=related

This stuff is safe for paint, plastic, wood...everything. It makes a very nice wood polish even.

Its also used for vehicle under coating, there is no gun lube/cleaner/protectant that even compares.

I'll give you an example...I'm a truck driver, my ratchet binders hang on the rear of my cab year around...with Fluid Film they don't rust anymore, they're never stuck, always easy to turn.....I spray them about every 3 months.

Best of all...its 100% solvent free. (its lanolin based)

I believe there are some fairly standard ways to start an argument:

1. Which is better, 9mm or .45?
2. Which is better, .30-06 or .308?
3. Which gun cleaning solvent is best?

Your question is #3...

While you may get lots of answers, I don't think you'll get a clear winner.

The best gun cleaning solvent (or product) is the one that works best for you.

Of course, .45 and .30-06 are the correct answers to #1 and #2. :D

P97

Any CCW is going to be handled a few times every day. I cover mine lightly with Eezox about once a month, wipe off any excess after about a hour, and let it completely dry. Dirt won't stick to it, and there's not a speck of rust on it anywhere. I've been doing this for over 5 years.