odd idea for my rifle scopes

Status
Not open for further replies.

doofus47

I invoke the rule of "most use." If you're not going to use the cheapo scopes, then sell them/trade them/donate them and clear out that space for a nice scope that you will use. If your heart is set on a Leupold, then skip the beer and eating out for a few months and get a Leupold.

my two cents.

CTS

MDD, I absolutely respect your right to spend your money any way you wish. I have nothing at all against Leupold, just kidding around mostly. My main point to the OP was that there are some very good scopes out there that don't cost $400 and up. If money is an issue you can still get a good quality scope for a lot less than a Leupold.
Just to be clear though, 90 days is the warranty period of their refurbished scopes, not one that you have purchased new, even if it has been repaired or replaced before, it is still warrantied for life. And if you buy a Leupold, you are still getting Nikkor glass.

Picher

I have both Leupold 3-9X, MKII and a Nikon Monarch 2.5-10. I paid about $300 for the Monarch and if someone were to offer me $150 for it, it would be out the door in an instant! I don't like the image being smaller than the tube and a black ring between them. It drives me crazy!!!!!

The Leupold is a bit clearer, but the big difference is that the image goes all the way to the edge of the tube.

JP

pabuckslayer08

Yard salers will buy up every scope name known to man for 25 bucks a pop. I sold 5 this year and 2 of them were Tasco Pronghorn fixed powers and they were gone within a hour of time. People see those things at sales and just gobble them up for some reason

CTS

I don't like the image being smaller than the tube and a black ring between them.

Sounds like improper eye relief to me. Is that Monarch in Black? I may be interested. PM me if you are serious.

Last edited:

taylorce1

Originally Posted by slappy
I am just going on second hand info I guess but, I have had several dealers say that they have had to send more Leupold scopes back for repairs than they ever have in past years,

I don't know any dealer who returns Leupold scopes, they might tell you where to find the address to ship for warranty. Nikon only warranties the scopes for the original owner the warranty doesn't transfer. I rarely buy new scopes and that is why I choose Leupold, it doesn't matter if I'm the first owner or the 100th if the scope needs repair I get it fixed or replaced for the price of shipping it in.

Originally Posted by slappy
Leupold's quality has declined in the last 10 years and Nikon has gone the other way. Better light transmission and better overall quality at about half the price.

I always ask this question when some one says one scope transmits light better than another. What independant labratory tested light transmission? Until some independant lab comes out with the test results light transmission is very hard to prove.

Nikon isn't even close to half the price of Leupold. VX3 and Monarch scopes are real comparable. Plus if you pay full retail for a Leupold scope you aren't looking very hard. Right now I forget who is offering up to $75 off for purchase over $300 (might be Natchez) but they sell Leupold scopes as well. The Monarch 2-8X32 runs about $290 and the Leupold 2.5-8X36 runs $399 before rebate and $325 after.

CTS

I don't know any dealer who returns Leupold scopes, they might tell you where to find the address to ship for warranty.

Semantics. I assume that they meant they had customers who came back complaining of problems with their scopes and they had to refer them to Leupold for warranty work.

Nikon only warranties the scopes for the original owner the warranty doesn't transfer.

I don't know where you get that from, the warranty card plainly states that they will repair or replace the scope at their discretion regardless of whether you are the original owner or not.

http://www.nikonhunting.com/uploads/warranties/LifetimeWarrantyCertificate.pdf

Nikon scopes range from $209 to $400? while Leupold range from $299 to $2000 or somewhere in that vicinity, you do the math.
It really isn't worth arguing over, use what ever scope you prefer. I have already said that I have nothing against Leupold, I just don't feel like they are any better than Nikon so why pay for the name considering it has the same glass as Nikon and the same warranty. Again, the only scopes Nikon sells that are not lifetime warranted are refurbished scopes. If they were sold as new, regardless of who owns it, it is warranted for life. Also, if you send a Nikon in for repairs, I would imagine they send you a new scope so as to inconvenience you as little as possible. Like I said, if they send me a new scope, what do I care what they do with the old one? The new one they sent me is still warranted for life.

Last edited:

mdd

Norrick, I'm not necessarily interested in going that route although its not a bad idea. I would have a hard time trusting the zero & don't want to check scope zero every single time I want to grab a rifle & go hunt.

taylorce1

I don't know where you get that from, the warranty card plainly states that they will repair or replace the scope at their discretion regardless of whether you are the original owner or not.

Repair or replace at their discretion isn't the same as Leupold's warranty. I know this because I had a Monarch UUC 2-7 power that I bought used that would not hold zero. I sent it into them and guess what they wouldn't repair or replace it, they did offer me a refurbished scope at a discounted price. That is what their discretion means. Leupold has gone through and fixed every used scope I bought that I had questions about for the price of shipping.

Another good indicator as to how good the scope is take a look at the used prices on scopes. A one generation old Leupold scope will bring at least 75% of the cost of a new one. Two generations old will bring around 60%+, because if they can't be fixed they will be replaced with the current model by Leupold. Nikons are usually around 50% or less than new if they are the older generation scopes. Why do you think that is?

Nikon scopes range from $209 to $400? while Leupold range from $299 to $2000 or somewhere in that vicinity, you do the math.

I've done the math on both several times. I own both scope brands still and I can tell you that Leupold is more expensive because it has a more extensive line that offers more features. Plus with the new Redfields made by Leupold with the same no questions asked warranty you can get into a decent hunting scope for less than $150. You can still step into a Leupold for less than $200 for the VXI and less than $300 for the VXII or you can exceed $4000 for the MK8 depending on your needs.

The Nikon Buckmasters max out over $350, Monarch's exceed $400, African models max out at $800+ and the Monarch X can cost over $1000. Where did you do your research as your math doesn't add up. Realisticly in the standard scope powers the price difference is more like $100 than half you stated when you use compareable scopes.

Bottom line is I've received far better service from Leupold than I have with Nikon. So I've stopped buying used Nikon optics. Do I think you will go wrong buying a new Nikon? No, I think they are good optics but I've only had experiences with the Monarch line of scopes. I do however think that they are on average heavier, they don't have as nice of a profile when mounted on hunting rifles, and in most cases and the eye box is more critical on them than Leupold.

Last edited:

blacksky

I have 1 cheap scope in my collection. It is a Osprey. I have been overly impressed with it. All of my other rifles have Bushnell Elite 3200 & 4200 scopes. I bought the Osprey because of what it offered for the $160 I paid for it. It is mounted to a custom 5.56 AR that I shoot paper & steel with. I'd value it at 3 times the price I paid! Some will say it's made in China, the maker says it has all American and Japanese made parts with Hoya glass which is the same as used by many other high end scope makers. It is assembled in there own factory in China. Does this make a difference? From the quality build and performance of this scope I would say yes it does. I try to buy made in USA at all costs! But this was a I have to try this and see purchase with the idea that I would sell it off, if it wasn't the quality that it was claimed to be. Happily I'm here to say it is a keeper! :eek:

http://www.amazon.com/Osprey%C2%99-10-40x50-Range-Tactical/dp/B001D157YY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgdW1nKWd2g

Lloyd Smale

nikon has been good to me. I sent back a 10 year old set of monarch atb binocs that wouldnt focus out past 400 yards anymore and they sent be a brand new set for free. I also bought a 3x9 monarch used. It was suppose to be in ex shape and came scratched up and missing the rubber eye protector. I sent it back to nikon and asked if theyd put a new rubber on it and go through and check it out and that id gladdly pay them to do it. I did tell them i bought it used. They blew me away when i got a brand new 2x10 monarch in the mail a few weeks later. Ive been treated just or good or ever better by nikon then i have by leupold.

bman940

Nikon Referbs

Mdd, I can tell you for a fact Nikon Referb's are not scopes that were broken, fixed, then sold. They are scopes that are used at show's, shooting events, sent to writers to evaluate. Yes, They do send out that many. From what I have been told, there is not one Nikon Scope sold that was once returned for not working correctly.
You are correct about the 90 day warranty for referb. scopes.
I hope this clears up some misinformation?

tobnpr

Lots of threads on scopes recently.
My take is, has been, that for some shooters, quality glass is neither necessary nor would it be utilized to potential.

If you shoot at the same 100 yard range all the time, never dial the turrets unless the wind is howling, as long as it holds zero who cares about anything else? It will do the same job as a $2000 Nightforce for that application.

If you're a long range shooter, different animal. You need a quality scope that tracks accurately, where 1/4 (or 1/8) MOA -or Mil- click is exactly that, where you can dial up 30 minutes of elevation and return exactly to zero repeatedly... This is where the rubber meets the road with optics.

tahunua001

I pseudo agree with slappy. I have 3 nikon prostaffs and 1 leupold. I have yet to zero in the leupold and develop a deep opinion about them and the Leupold is a lower zoom than what I normally operate at but so far I'm liking the nikons more. as to the declining quality of leupold I cant comment...I know that the leupold VXIII is still one of the most raved over hunting scopes on shelves...anything "better" starts to lean towards low cost sniper scopes.

EDIT:
Nikon scopes range from $209 to $400?
I picked up both my 3x9 prostaffs for 150 and my 4x12 was 189+ shipping from midway.

Last edited:

CTS

Just for clarification, I was quoting those prices from Natchez shooters supply and I did not realize their was more than 1 page of the Nikons. They do have some of their scopes listed for close to $1500 so the prices are not that far out of step with Leupold. As for the quality of Leupold, I can't really comment on that either. As I said before, I was basing it on what I had been told by a few dealers and a friend that has a VX3 and says he is not crazy about it. He didn't really say why, just that he wasn't crazy about it.

mdd

No bart, actually it does not clear up any misinformation. What I initially stated was told to me by a sales rep for natchez. Slappy then challenged the credibility & accuracy of information disseminated by a salesperson. I subsequently contacted nikon directly & spoke with a sport optics riflescope service technician named Jose. Jose confirmed exactly what the natchez rep told me regarding the refurbished scopes. However, all of this warranty banter should be irrelevant but for the fact that you guys advocating nikon refuse to see what I'm saying. Leupold doesn't draw lines through their warranty. If I own it & it is a genuine leupold product, it is covered. For life. Period. Doesn't matter when I got it or where its been before I got it.

Tobnpr, that's a pretty black & white scenario you offer and one I can't agree with fully. You're not necessarily wrong but there is a lot of grey area between those two. I fall into that grey area & although I am not a long range paper killer I do appreciate the clarity & light transmission offered by a little nicer scope. The cheap scopes make it very difficult to distinguish a bobcat from late season brush at a couple hundred yards or to pick up a coyote before the sun is up. Scenarios like that are why I don't mind spending the money on a little better scope.

CTS

It seems to me that the only difference in Nikon warranty and Leupold warranty is that there is no difference. If the Nikon was sold as a new scope, it does not matter if you are the 2nd, 3rd or 100th owner. Just like Leupold. The only difference is that Leupold apparently does not sell refurbished scopes and Nikon does. What is so hard to understand about that. If I buy a Nikon scope on Ebay or from a pawn shop, as long as it is not marked as refurbished, it is warranted for life.

mdd

Now you have reached the point I'm trying to make. How do you, in that singular moment at the pawnshop, know for certain if that nikon is or is not a refurb? You don't. And if it is a refurb & you ever need service you're up excrement creek without a paddle.

CTS

I suppose if it wasn't in a box that said refurbished on it, the obvious choice would be to write down the serial number, call Nikon customer service line and ask (800-645-6678). They record all serial numbers of scopes that were sold as refurbished. How else would they know whether it had a lifetime warranty or not. Seriously, how many people leave home without a cell phone in their pockets these days?

Status
Not open for further replies.