Odd happening at the 'range'

Dragline45

Correct me if I'm wrong but I've been told not to shoot low velocity bullets (22lr out of a pistol, cowboy loads etc) at steel.

I have shot thousands of rounds of .22lr out of pistols at my 8" AR500 steel plate which is 3/8" of an inch thick and weighs 5.5lbs at distances as close as 20ft with no ill effect. It hangs on chains and even the .22lr knocks that thing back with plenty enough force to direct the rounds down to the ground. Never had a round come back at me, and even if it did I always wear eye protection so I am not worried.

DPris

Member Emeritus
Besides the which, what do you think those low-velocity "cowboy" loads are built for?
Steel!
Denis

Bart Noir

Long ago, in the range under the Spokane Arsenal (no longer exists) I was standing next to my Dad. We were facing the targets. He felt something tug at his pants, reached into his pocket, and found most of a warm lead bullet :eek:

It took 2 just-right bounces for that bullet to come from behind us and get caught by the edge of his pocket. I forgot to ask the shooter if he was good at billiards.

Bart Noir