Husqvarna

Octagonal barrels just for looks?

I am getting a rossi m92 but can't decide which

20in round stainless
24in round blued
24in octagonal blued

looks wise I would go for 24octablued

Polinese

Back in the day it was easier to manufacture than a round barrel. It's also kind of a early version of a heavy barrel so there's that.

g.willikers

Judging from the history book accounts of gunsmithing, octagon barrels came about as Polinese said.
A way to make thick barrels before the modern age.
They sure look cool, though.
I kind of miss my Dad's old Winchester rimfire that had one.
Shouldn't have lost interest in .22s in my youth and let him sell it.
Ditto for letting another relative sell their Browning lever action rimfire with one.
But back then, if it wasn't at least a .38, it wasn't considered a real gun.
Oh, the ones that got away........:eek:

Savage99

I have a few guns with octagon barrels and on the appropriate gun it's for looks.

One custom hunting rifle came with such a barrel and it's a favorite.

Besides the higher cost of making an octagon it can get damaged easier what with those sharp outside corners.

098ay.jpg

jmr40

Back in the day all barrels started out as octagon. It required more work to get them round. Many were left that way just to cut manufacturing costs.

Husqvarna

those 4 inches makes any significant velocity loss?

the 20inch round stainless may be the most practical but doesn't have the coolfactor;):confused:

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I only know from reading, but the apparent consensus about .22 rimfire is that anything over some 16" shows negligible performance gain, if any. Not enough powder to maintain acceleration of the bullet.

I like octagon for its classic looks. I'm going to rebarrel a 1894 Marlin with octagon and make it a take down lever action.

az_imuth

I have one of the blued 24" models in 38/357. I wanted a 20" barrel, but at the time there were none to be found. The 24 does give you a few more rounds in the tube, longer sight radius, and the added weight makes shooting 38's feel like shooting a 22. In the end, I've been very pleased with the longer barrel, but would like to pick up a 16" one of these days.
Picture1Custom_zpsda2a21b4.jpg

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Bo Clerke once gave me a tour of his barrel-making operation. All his barrel blanks were octagonal. They looked to be 24".

Jim Watson

The octagonal barrel outsold the round in the 1873 Winchester even though it cost a whole $1.50 more, which was a lot in those days.

mete

Single shots do look better with octagon barrels .Browning 1885, Remington Rolling Block , etc !

Husqvarna

2012-06-06_09-44-59_65.jpg

that looks cool to, and I bought to have a handy little rifle for stalking hunts on deer and nighttime hunts for badger (with 38s)

so function over form?

24in octagonal looks more cowboy

20in stainless the practical alternative?:confused:

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I've always read that with lever guns' locking lugs at the rear of the bolt, they're limited to around 40,000 psi chamber pressure. That's not a lot above the max .357 pressure.

Odds are for pistol cartridges, the 20" barrel is likely as good as it gets for ballistics.

Since I've never hunted in rainy country, blue = stainless as far as maintenance goes. Never had a rust problem with blued steel. :)

skizzums

before you buy your rossi, do some research on the barrel length. I bought the 357mag model, and went with the 20" because I wanted to possibly use for hunting if I ever decide to hunt, and wanted the most bang for the bullet. I was disappointed to find out that the powder is all burned up at right about 16", and anything longer causes the friction to start slowing the bullet down. not a big deal, but I am lugging extra weight(rifle is still insanely light btw) for no benefit. check out ballistics by the inch before settling on a PCC and barrel length. the shorter barrel would be a lot handier and prob easier to shoot from standing position. but, the added bbl length also adds capacity to the magazine, so give and take

but anyhow, everytime I see my stainless 20" rossi I get a grin, the purtiest thing I own by far. no octo barrel, but would the octo add weight? my favorite thing about it is the lightweight and I wouldn't sacrifice that for anything

50 yard standing

az_imuth

skizzums-- Checked out the ballistics by the inch website for the .357 mag and in 7 out of 8 examples the velocity increased from 17" to 18" barrels. Wish they carried it on out to 24" to see what happens. Not saying their results aren't generally correct, but the problem is that unless they are starting with a long barrel and chopping it after each series, then the results are going to be flawed. Each brand/design of barrel used introduces a new variable that isn't accounted for, and unless I'm missing something then that would seem to be a very important oversight.