Obvious Advice

44 AMP

Staff
Moral of this story is if you are tumbling different cartridges, make sure one wont snugly fit inside the other.

I would amend this slightly. When tumbling different cases, make sure one won't fit inside the other AT ALL!!!

Because if one will, the media will jam in there and make sure its "snug".

Also be aware that if PART of the case will fit in another, they can be jammed together too. Bottle necked rifle brass can be "capped" with 9mm and larger pistol cases. and surprisingly tightly too!

bacardisteve

Gotta watch out for those darn ss pins too. Scary to think what would happened if you primed and charged a case and it had one or two pins in there. Dont know if it would increase pressure enough to blow a gun but I cant imagine it would be good for your rifling as it flies down the bore at 3000fps.

Stats Shooter

Gotta watch out for those darn ss pins too. Scary to think what would happened if you primed and charged a case and it had one or two pins in there. Dont know if it would increase pressure enough to blow a gun but I cant imagine it would be good for your rifling as it flies down the bore at 3000fps./QUOTE]

I'm always careful about that. But I doubt it would be that catastrophic. The pin wouldn't go that fast as it doesn't seal the bore and is behind the bullet. Also it will likely be near the casehead so it would be going a lot slower than 3000 fps. But, the only time I see that being possible is in small bottleneck cases.

The easiest way is to clean them after tumbling, then once they are dry I tumble them in a media separator for a while and any remaining just fall out.

LE-28

Took me an hour with some dental tools and needle nose pliers to get them all out.
That's really funny, We have all done that at some point.

9mm inside .40 S&W inside .41 magnum. Won't do that again.

Me either. My powder die caught a 9mm inside a 41 mag case one day on my LNL-AP.

OH MY LORD!

I radically change my practice after that.

hounddawg

Gotta watch out for those darn ss pins too. Scary to think what would happened if you primed and charged a case and it had one or two pins in there. Dont know if it would increase pressure enough to blow a gun but I cant imagine it would be good for your rifling as it flies down the bore at 3000fps.

I would not do it on purpose but I am sure it has happened they tend to accumulate in cases. I always transfer them by hand from the rinse container and shake em good. I dump them in a plastic colander in the drying box and toss and swirl them. The head of the case is havier and thet want to stnd on end. You can then pick them up and do 4 or 5 at a time. That works on rifle cases at least.

Now if you are using brass with Palma style small flash holes check the flash hole.

One day at practice one of my rounds did not go bang , I waited a minute cycled the bolt and still just a click. Took it home and pulled the bullet and powder was in there. Looked in the case too see if primer had fired and saw the pin still stuck in the flash hole. I keep a Lee neck sizer with the pin broke off for use with resizing a neck if I pull the bullet on a unfired case. That pushed the primer and the pin partway out. Took a pair of needlenose to get the pin all the way out. Amazes me though how that thing jammed in there after the primer fired. A piece of corn cob would have been vaporized yet that pin did not move

No worries about that with normal flash holes. The pins will go straight through

FrankenMauser

Easy lesson to learn. Difficult mistake to correct, some times.

I still sometimes tumble cases capable of nesting at the same time. I start with the biggest first, however, and let them fill with media before moving the next smaller case.

I do not, however, ever intentionally tumble a combination that will allow an entire case to disappear inside another - such as 9mm inside .444 Marlin, or .32 Auto inside .35 Whelen. That's when bad things happen.

Wag

They were in love. They found their way to each other through all obstacles, through the muck and slime of your tumblr. A true Romeo and Juliet story.

And you separated them at the end. They are surely in tears.

:)

--Wag--