Obama to make acceptance speech in "greek temple"

Creature

JuanCarlos wrote:
And with that, Godwin's Law is satisfied.

It's good to know there are some things in this world you can still count on.

I missed your post...and it is spot on! Bravo Zulu to you for pointing that out.

Chui

You guys make mountains of mole hills. He's coming to you live from Barackadopolis! :D

Actually, look at DC for where the style comes from. Think just a bit out of the box.

Chui

I am my own messiah, HKuser. I put no faith in man. Many blindly follow leaders and Bush has no shortage; just as Clinton had no shortage.

No thanks. I can think for self.

M14fan

The media moguls must think he is some kind of deity:barf::barf:. They continue refer to him as having ascended :barf::barf:to the position of democratic presidential nominee. The same term has been used several times to describe his wife's presence in the forefront of liberal politics.

So I suppose it is fitting that he make his speech from a 'temple'.

Derius_T

The greatest worry I have about this is that people are actually this gullible and naive. People are swept up by this flashy, smooth talking NOBODY worse than little teenage girls screaming and fainting at a backstreet boys concert. People are so caught up in his perceived image that they fail to question or perceive his motives, his lack of substance.

I truly do not understand how people get star-struck like that. Especially when it is something as important as electing a POTUS. This isn't American Idol.

Why not look at a man's (or woman's) voting record, their resume, their personal history, background, experience, their friends? Why not look at who backs them, who they confide in, who their friends are? Who they have worked with and admired?

Aren't all of those things, and many more, much more important than their political party, their celebrity status, their gender, or their skin color?

What in the hell has this country come to? For the first time in MY adult life, I am truly afraid for the direction and future of the nation I have loved all my life, and shed blood for.....

JuanCarlos

Well, there's also the possibility that somebody might be well aware of his experience, voting record, background, etc. but still honestly prefers it to McCain's, and sees Obama (despite his faults, which are many) as still being the less bad option.

While it might be easier to simply assume everybody supporting the guy you don't like is "star struck" or ignorant, it's generally not actually going to be the case.

Derius_T

JuanCarlos wrote:

While it might be easier to simply assume everybody supporting the guy you don't like is "star struck" or ignorant, it's generally not actually going to be the case.

But you see, it IS ignorant. Let's try it like this, say you own a large, very influential company. Lets say that you company was once at the very top of the pile, but has in recent years started to lose ground. Stocks have started to dip, profits are dropping rapidly, and people no longer hold a good image of your company in general. You need someone to fix all this, someone to lead your once great company back to the top.

You have two possible choices for CEO. One is older but has an impressive resume. He has been on the board or the CEO of several fortune 500 companies. Every company he has worked for, he has personally rescued from disaster. He is well known in the business world, and has a lot of professional contacts that would enable him to get things done. He is a well established businessman with a full record of resounding successes, not to mention a vast personal fortune. He has more experience at this than even you.

Your second candidate has an impressive education, is well dressed and eloquently spoken, but has the political experience and ties of a McDonald's drive-thru worker.

Who do you choose?

JuanCarlos

Your analogy only holds if I actually see John McCain that way. He's certainly older, and has a longer resume, but whether or not it's really all that much more impressive is debatable. Particularly depending on your positions on a multitude of issues.

EDIT: I'll note that this is in no way, however, an easy choice. I'm not part of the Obamanation, an Obamanaut, or whatever crazy derogative term you might want to come up with for somebody who could consider voting for Obama. Any support I have for the man is lukewarm at best. I'm well aware that he sucks. But from where I'm sitting, it's arguable that perhaps McCain sucks more.

Derius_T

While I agree that they both suck JuanCarlos, McCain does have more experience. That experience will prove useful in this very 'troubled' time we are in, especially if we see more armed conflict.

Not to mention that the other candidate has befriended and worked along side KNOWN ENEMIES of the U.S. No matter how much the dems try to scramble their machine to downplay or cover the facts, the facts still stand that he was, for years, very closely allied with Ayers and his group of "domestic terrorists", not to mention a few other individuals with decidedly anti-American views.

Experience aside, you just can't ignore that, or spin it away.

For the record, neither of these people are my FIRST choice, although McCain is the only rational choice left, if only for the above reasons.

You have two possible choices for CEO. One is older but has an impressive resume. He has been on the board or the CEO of several fortune 500 companies. Every company he has worked for, he has personally rescued from disaster. He is well known in the business world, and has a lot of professional contacts that would enable him to get things done. He is a well established businessman with a full record of resounding successes, not to mention a vast personal fortune. He has more experience at this than even you.

Your second candidate has an impressive education, is well dressed and eloquently spoken, but has the political experience and ties of a McDonald's drive-thru worker.

The problem with your characterization of the good CEO is that you forgot to mention that he is a lot like the CEO he would be replacing and so that great resume may mean you just get more of the same.

Obama is showing himself to be a Gates, Jobs, Wozniak, Page, Brin, Dell sort of guy. He is showing great promise. These previous 6 guys all had little real experience before their careers rapidly bloomed. Like Obama, they all were doing things a differently than the standard, gained notoriety for what they were marketing, and excelled.

Obama has plenty of shortcomings and we can try to talk ourselves into believing that he really doesn't have a chance, but such self deception is quite dangerous. Obama has a tremendous amount of momentum running up to this election. He is dynamic. He is charismatic. He has the ability to draw a significant following and has proven this to be true. Hell, he has led McCain in the polls. You have to wonder how it is that a guy with such shortcoming could lead in the polls against McCain, right, but he did and may well again.

Given the experience deficit, we should expect McCain to win by a landslide, but that isn't likely to happen. Why it is that McCain isn't making a better showing is something we should be questioning right now more so than being worried about Obama's stage setup.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/election2008/poll-tracker.htm
http://www.usaelectionpolls.com/

dipper

To say:

Obama is showing himself to be a Gates, Jobs, Wozniak, Page, Brin, Dell sort of guy. He is showing great promise. These previous 6 guys all had little real experience before their careers rapidly bloomed. Like Obama, they all were doing things a differently than the standard, gained notoriety for what they were marketing, and excelled.

is, well......just wrong!

I don't know how he can be compared to those men listed----his own supporters stumble and stammer when asked to name ONE thing BO has done.
Shows great promise?? HOW?? WHY??
One thing that is true, is that BO does have little real experience.
The other difference is, the others BUILT COMPANIES and did not run for the highest office in the ( I believe) greatest country in the world.
I don't believe, any of the listed gentlemen applied to be CEO of a fortune 500 company as their first job---but, that is kinda what BO is doing.
The others BUILT something and THEN became CEO's and heads of companies.
They didn't just show up with flash and dash and bling and get the job.

Dipper

Buzzcook

Bush accepting the nomination
30_24_090204_bush_waving_450.jpg

Look at those columns, does the man think he's some sort of geek god?

John McCain must be part Greek too.
mccain_columns3.jpg

Of course there is nothing like the understated elegance of the republican convention.
gwbrnc8.jpeg

Geez.

Derius_T

Double Naught Spy wrote:

Obama has plenty of shortcomings and we can try to talk ourselves into believing that he really doesn't have a chance, but such self deception is quite dangerous. Obama has a tremendous amount of momentum running up to this election. He is dynamic. He is charismatic. He has the ability to draw a significant following and has proven this to be true. Hell, he has led McCain in the polls. You have to wonder how it is that a guy with such shortcoming could lead in the polls against McCain, right, but he did and may well again.

Given the experience deficit, we should expect McCain to win by a landslide, but that isn't likely to happen. Why it is that McCain isn't making a better showing is something we should be questioning right now more so than being worried about Obama's stage setup.

Your right. Obama is dynamic. He is charismatic. He is dangerous. That is what scares the hell out of me. All that flash and no substance. But, if he gets in office, with his list of friends and influences, (Wright, Ayers, ect) we could be in for a very ugly time, but one that 1930's germans might enjoy.

Another thing that scares me is that McCain is the best the Reps could come up with. I think either way, this beautiful country of ours in in for a rough ride.

If only we could pull a GI Joe and create our own leader. :D

Bush accepting the nomination

One thing I couldn't understand about his second term . Was his 486,000,000. party for winning his second term. I mean he was allready in office. I guess he knew he wasn't footing the bill. We were.:eek: