Obama to make acceptance speech in "greek temple"

black

ABC News: Obama Speech Stage Resembles Ancient Greek Temple

otf.jpg

DENVER (Reuters) - Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama's big speech on Thursday night will be delivered from an elaborate columned stage resembling a miniature Greek temple.

Watch Charlie Gibson, Diane Sawyer and George Stephanopoulos at the Democratic Convention TONIGHT at 10 p.m. ET on ABC
The stage, similar to structures used for rock concerts, has been set up at the 50-yard-line, the midpoint of Invesco Field, the stadium where the Denver Broncos' National Football League team plays.
Some 80,000 supporters will see Obama appear from between plywood columns painted off-white, reminiscent of Washington's Capitol building or even the White House, to accept the party's nomination for president.
He will stride out to a raised platform to a podium that can be raised from beneath the floor.
The show should provide a striking image for the millions of Americans watching on television as Obama delivers a speech accepting the Democratic presidential nomination.

Politicians in past elections have typically spoken from the convention site itself, but the Obama campaign liked the idea of having their man speak to a larger, stadium-sized crowd not far from where the Democratic National Convention is being held, at the Denver pro basketball arena.
Obama was taking a page from the campaign book of John Kennedy in 1960 when the future president delivered his acceptance speech to 80,000 people in the Los Angeles Coliseum.
Once Obama speaks, confetti will rain down on him and fireworks will be fired off from locations around the stadium wall.
Democratic convention organizers said the theme for the evening is "Change We Can Believe In," which has been a consistent message of Obama's presidential campaign.
Oscar-winning actress and singer Jennifer Hudson will sing the national anthem that night.
(Reporting by Steve Holland; editing by David Wiessler)
Copyright 2008 Reuters News Service. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
maybe he should just change it from greek to the temple in Jerusalem, make the ultimate blasphemy and get it over with.

this mans ego has no limits.

dipper

Yeah Black, I agree.

What I think that this spectacle really demonstrates is what type of voter BO is really courting or the type he is primarily courting.

He's a ROCK STAR and he is going after the young vote---all hat no cattle--all flash and no substance.
Kinda like the guy that's broke but begs,barrows or steals enough money to rent a Bentley just for show--sad---but what's sadder is that it works on some people--they don't look past the flash and bling.

I contend that there are not enough groupies, skate boarders, "fringies" , blings (people who like shinny stuff) etc. to get him elected though.
For as many people that will be attracted to his ROCK STAR performance, I believe just as many will be put off---or at least I'm hoping that there are some people left that look a little deeper.
I think even some people in his own party are dreading his performance.
I read that he will eventually end up on a platform that raises him in the air above the stage and floor and then he will give his speech.
SCARY STUFF in my book.

SecDef

You skipped over the most important sentence in the quoted text:

Some 80,000 supporters will see Obama appear from between plywood columns painted off-white, reminiscent of Washington's Capitol building or even the White House, to accept the party's nomination for president.

Not really a mystery here, fellas

Creature

You do realize that most of our capitol and federal buildings are based on the Greek Revival style of architecture, right? The man is running for the office of president. Why wouldn't he chose that backdrop to accept his nomination for president?

black

he isn't president and remember her re-worked presidential seal that he got crap for? the backdrop looks like a temple. The man must think he is god.

Greek Temple? I wonder if they know the difference between Greek and Roman.

He's a ROCK STAR and he is going after the young vote---all hat no cattle--all flash and no substance.
Negative characterizations are fine and all, but it really doesn't matter what we think of him. What matters is how many votes he can accumulate. You can call him a rock star to downplay his abilities, but that would be understating his position and hence underestimating the threat he poses. He is actually quite charismatic and that is how he has gotten this far so fast.

dipper

Well, I have seen interviews of his supporters and they are asked specific questions about his ABILITIES and what he has done in his relatively short career and they seem to stumble and change the subject.
I honestly have to say, that I don't know what his ABILITIES are---can you help me out??
I agree his is very charismatic---just like a ROCK STAR!!

But, I have yet to find any substance or any core beliefs he has that I can hang on to.
First he disagreed with Hillary and got the nomination ---now, all his views magically match what she had been saying all along.

All hat, no cattle.

black

Well, I have seen interviews of his supporters and they are asked specific questions about his ABILITIES and what he has done in his relatively short career and they seem to stumble and change the subject.
I honestly have to say, that I don't know what his ABILITIES are---can you help me out??
I agree his is very charismatic---just like a ROCK STAR!!

But, I have yet to find any substance or any core beliefs he has that I can hang on to.
First he disagreed with Hillary and got the nomination ---now, all his views magically match what she had been saying all along.

All hat, no cattle.

check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGeu_4Ekx-o

USAFNoDak

Black posted:
The man must think he is god.

Obama: "We are the ones we've been waiting for". Sounds like he thinks he's at least somewhat god like.

Remember in Ghost Busters when Gozar the Traveler asked Dan Akroyd if he was a god? When he said no, the poop hit the fan. Maybe Obama has seen that movie a few times.

dipper

That video among other things is exactly what I was talking about---DUDE has no CRED!!
That poor fellow is not the only supporter that can't name something beneficial BO has done----I have YET to see anyone give me or anyone else something to hang onto.
I hear ALL the rhetoric and promises but I am wondering WHAT THE HECK ARE WE BASING OUR ADORATION ON??
Change?? What kind of change??
Where's the track record??
Are all decisions he is going to have to make " ABOVE HIS PAY GRADE" ??
He votes PRESENT often--according to the records, Is he going to mail it in if he becomes President??
I mean where's the beef??
I know some may feel these are hard questions and maybe even a little unfair:rolleyes: but the man IS running for President--not manager of Burger King.

The flash and bling he brings to a prepared rehearsed speech is impressive---kind of like a good closing argument---he is a lawyer after all and has had a certain amount of practice.
BUT, take him off guard and off the cuff and he stammers and studders.
Maybe that is why he changed his mind on debating McCain 10 times like he said he would----changed it to 3 debates instead.

All flash and bling---no substance---NONE.
Well, I guess he can fool some youngins----Rock Star.
I am going to watch closely, Maybe I can catch him lip syncing !!:)

USAFNoDak

Dipper posted:
All flash and bling---no substance---NONE.

Speaking of flash and bling, do you folks recall Mr. T's character in the cheesey TV series, "The A Team"? He was called BA which supposedly stood for Bad Attitude. George Pappard played a smooth talking Colonel named "Hannibal". Mr. T used to say about Col. Hannibal, "I hate it when Hannibal's on da Jazz". That might make a good TV commercial. Have Barack doing one of his "practiced and rehearsed" stump speeches and have Mr T's voice come in and say, "I hate is when Obama is on da Jazz". Then have a clip where Obama is "umming" and "ahhhing" and have Mr. T come in and say, "Dat's more like da fool dat he is." OK, I'm not going to get a job in producing negative campaign commercials any time soon.

Yellowfin

It scares me how easily this nothing man from Illinois is manufactured and how obvious this makes it. The notion that enough people will fall for this crap is equally repulsive. Have we really fallen this far as a people?

dipper

Have we really fallen this far as a people?

I hope not---I have often times heard the saying, that Hollywood can make ANYONE they choose a star---I believe it more now than ever.

Pretty funny USA!

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
It scares me how easily this nothing man from Illinois is manufactured and how obvious this makes it. The notion that enough people will fall for this crap is equally repulsive. Have we really fallen this far as a people?

I believe Obama is the answer to that question. When it matters that Madonna likes him. When it DOESN'T matter who his friends are. When the flash can hide the substance. When being critical of someone makes you a racist. When being supportive of someone because of their race can be not racist. Yes, we really have fallen this far.

homefires

Don't confuse the issue with facts! According to the media Obama is the President.

Never Mind the Poles or the Election.

Just except the facts!

:barf: :barf: :rolleyes:

shortwave

Speaking of "Hollywood making anyone a star ", where`s Oprah been? You know the one who spent millions pushing Obama in the lime-light so people knew he existed . Haven`t heard anything from her since the celeb. thing started hurting Obama`s ratings. Maybe it hurt her ratings too.