O/U vs SxS Shotgun

HiBC

No problem!
You do things your way and have a good time. I hope you will offer this Brit wingshooting tip to newer shooters as something they can try.That still leaves all other options open.

If the thumb works,the beginner has clean,uncluttered glasses AND the problem is solved. Win/Win. It costs nothing to try.

Why subject the beginner to smeared glasses if the thumb works?

Last edited:

G.O. West

Unigue SxS

Laugh at me if you want to. I am old and maybe old fashioned, but if it doesn't have external hammers you can't walk behind me if it's loaded. And in the land where everything bites, if it's not loaded you won't live long. I've never seen an O/U with external hammers, but many years ago all SxS had hammers. Here's a novel one I made myself with three hammers in a row. It's a Stevens SxS hammerless 12 ga. I removed the lever from the top of the pistol grip that opened the barrels and put a barrel lock on on R.S. that swings out. I then removed the top rib and put a .22 LR barrel in it's place. The .22 and the two 12's with Brenneke slugs were all regulated for the same point of impact at 75 yards. The tang safety was modified so that when pushed forward the front trigger activated the center hammer to fire the .22. When pulled back the R.S. hammer fired the R.S. 12 ga. barrel. The rear trigger always fired the L.S. 12 ga. barrel. I put rifle sights on it and a Monte Carlo type stock. It kept me fed and saved my life many times.

I didn't have much of a camera in those days, plus the humidity ruined a lot of things.

lDgQO5D.jpg

qqztJZA.jpg

HiBC

Now thats some Gunsmithing!! I'm impressed!

I can't tell from the photo,did you convert to sidelocks or fit it in the boxlock?

stuckinthe60s

hibc....the pluck the eye out humor, is a quote from the bible.

as to the thing on your glasses...its a common practice to put a spot of tape or goo on the glass lens in line with the pupil when mounted, to eliminate the double vision of the bbl.
pros = it works.
cons = it takes away some perf' vision.

hope this helps.

now...for everyone, tell me why in 1932, john browning invented his o&u (superposed) shotgun. and why Remington lost the race to pat' the o&u by 6 months with their model 32.
then lets go back to the topic of why sbs's aren't made as much or as popular as before.

wild cat mccane

Monovision or monocular diplopia can cause physical discomfort in people when not accurately corrected. Ie, a full distance strength prescription causes physical discomfort lowered correction, an obstruction in the field of vision refocusing one eye on a correct prescription causes physical discomfort, etc.

You haven't felt it, so it doesn't exist. :)

Last edited:

HiBC

as to the thing on your glasses...its a common practice to put a spot of tape or goo on the glass lens in line with the pupil when mounted, to eliminate the double vision of the bbl.
pros = it works.
cons = it takes away some perf' vision.
I know. I've known it for decades. People have been telling me about it for decades. I've tried it. (putting crap on my glasses.)
Walking big fields in Nebraska or the plum bottoms,it sucks to have one eye vision obscured,and it does cause me something akin to motion sickness.

Thank you,Wildcat,for speaking up.

What I don't get is not one person so far seems to have comprehended using the thumb as I described makes goobering the glasses obsolete. Its unnecessary,and IMO, a rude thing to do to a beginner. I had it done to me.It sucked.

The thumb works.

G.O. West

I can't tell from the photo, did you convert to sidelocks or fit it in the boxlock?

I made the hammers and fitted them inside the receiver. The original had spring loaded firing pins instead of hammers.
-----------------------

Ecc 11:4 He that observeth the wind shall not sow; and he that regardeth the clouds shall not reap.

HiBC

Very good!! Thanks! I think I understand what you did...the basic idea. The devil would be in the details.

Last edited:

wild cat mccane

I've never heard of this obstructing vision, but I was first to say an O/U is more similar to your line of sight than the sxs. It was more tongue in cheek :) I just find O/U more pleasing to my eye.

Just know if a recreational shooter or expert shotgunner uses a single eye obstruction, it's because they personally don't suffer an issue that is the norm for anyone with vision correction (contacts, laser, glasses) when they eyes are not both degraded equally. The consequence of an obstruction as mentioned is motion sickness which leads to headaches, throwing up, etc.

This is more normal than not for someone with vision correction.

HiBC

Thank you,Wildcat. My experience tells me you are correct.
I still remember a pheasant hunt being screwed up by a friend who smeared lip balm or a chicken leg or some BS on my glasses. The fun was over,and in the middle of nowhere there was no rubbing alcohol or hot water and Dawn soap to degrease the lense.

If people would just pick up a shotgun and try the thumb occlusion,they will see it can work.

It only lasts as long as the shotgun is mounted. No getting queasy.

IMO,greasing a beginner's glasses when there is a no cost alternative that the shooter always has available is ........well,it may have been well-intentioned. I grant that. But now that an option is known,its a rude,abusive thing to do to a beginner. It takes the fun away.

bladesmith 1

Post 31 was NOT polite. Even after that you refer to tape or a Magic Dots as crap, which is a poor term if you're being polite. You can convey your method without having to criticize someones else's method just because it's not the same as yours. Or you could just state you feel your method is better, but instead it was, what I use is crap. There are Olympic shooters who use a Dot, so it can't be all bad.

My master eye will unexpectedly shift and I fell the tape is my best solution.

I apologize for the manly statement. Your saying you got ill just struck me as being funny.

I did not refer to you in my post, and still haven't, but if the shoe fits wear it.

Maybe " What I don't get is not one person so far seems to have comprehended using the thumb as I described " would tell you something. If you want to do it that's fine with me, I have no problem with it or nothing bad to say about it. And I never did. Once again, please show my post the same respect. Thank you. Paul

stuckinthe60s

doyle, a sbs has 1 sighting plane too.

as to my question, I didn't ask who made the first o&u, I asked why john b' made HIS o&u and why REMINGTON made theirs.

44 AMP

Staff
If you're closing an eye shooting any type of firearm you're doing it wrong.

If you hit your target there is no "wrong".

period.

There are methods that work better for some people, some that work better for most people, and some of those don't work well for some people.

No matter what style they use, if it works, its not wrong. Telling people they are wrong when they aren't is what's "wrong".

I close my left eye when shooting. EVERY TIME, no matter what I'm shooting. And it works for me. Shooting with both eyes open screws things up for me. Apparently, I'm not the same as "most people" and I don't try to be. I'm me, and I do what works, for me. I generally hit what I aim at, using my right eye, shooting right handed. If I'm "wrong" in your opinion, so be it, but I'm not wrong in my opinion, my method has been working for me for over half a century and I'm not going to be changing it because someone else thinks I'm "wrong".

I've never had an O/U, primarily due to their high cost. They feel like a 2x4 on edge in my hands, so I've never had any real desire for one. SxS feel different, and ok for me, so I use them and enjoy them.

bladesmith 1

I've know some very good one eyed shooters. It seems like at the distances we shoot it doesn't make a real big difference. Maybe if you were a competitor on national sporting clays events where a lot of birds were thrown over 40 yards two eyes would help. But most local courses and normal hunting takes place at closer distances. To each their own.

Darn it Willie, I learned it isn't how good you shoot, but how good you look doing it. Wouldn't you really look better with a SxS in your hands ?

darkgael

Late to this discussion and I have a question. I have read about “single sighting planes” just about any time I have read through discussions about O/Us vs SXSs. How valid is the Sighting plane rationale?
I was taught early on that, when I am shooting at a flying object like a bird, my focus should be on the bird not the bead, that if the gun is fitted correctly and mounted properly, it will shoot where I am looking regardless of the “sighting plane”. This has worked well for me over the years.
I prefer SXSs for most of my shotgunning but lately (advancing years, bad back) a little five pound .410 O/U has been a blessing to hunt with.

Last edited: