Move to New Jersey or stay in NYC?

• Pack your bags and mooove.

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • Stay in the Rotten Apple.

Votes: 6 35.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nickel Plated

In case some may have missed my intro previously in the Black powder section. I will repeat for the purposes of this thread.
I am currently 20, live in Brooklyn, NYC, and do not own any guns (too young). However I have shot a good variety at Sunset Hill which is a rental range in PA (very fun :D)

Anyway it seems that I may possibly have an good opportunity to move out of Brooklyn and to NJ pretty soon. Now I know neither of these is particularly good regarding gun-rights :(, but I'm looking for the lesser of two evils here.

So my question to you all is would you personally stay in Brooklyn or move to NJ? I want answers to be focused solely on the aspect of gun-ownership. I don't want things like finding work, cost of living, and all that clouding the results. I will take those into consideration on my own. And remember, New York CITY is not the same as New York STATE, it's worse.

Here are two small references of gun laws in each place to help you decide. I know they are a bit dated, but I think it's safe to assume things have only gotten worse in both.

NYC:
http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/NYCCL.pdf

NJ:
http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/NJSL.pdf

And please no teasing about "You should just move here to Texas/Vermont/Somalia, we have all the guns you want here" :p

Nickel Plated

Go to Pa.................

Would love to, but doesn't seem like that will be happening anytime soon. Philly seems pretty cool though. Only thing about PA is they don't sell booze ANYWHERE. First time I went and saw that the grocery stores and gas stations had no beer I was baffled and confused. :p

Which part of New Jersey would you move to if you move?

I.e., Princeton is a bit different from Rahway.

Not sure yet but not too far out of NYC. I'm doing my best to pick someplace as gun friendly as possible (my first choices were Pennsylvania and Arizona :D). But I'm not the only one deciding here, so I might have to make do with what I get. But I think anywhere is better than NYC. :barf:

SIGSHR

I actually live in Princeton. The Township (Princeton is divided into a Borough and Township) encated a "No Firearms Discharge" ordnance in 1972, so no backyrd plinking even on your own property, and that includes air guns.
Pennsylvania definitely is gun friendly, but NJ isn't too bad. You need to get a firearms ID Card-Yellow Card, we call it-from your local PD-for long guns, you fill out the forms, get fingerprinted, provide references and now agree to the release of any records if have have been treated for mental problems. Once you get your card it's Good for Life unless you run afoul of the law, i.e.
mainly domestic violence or accusations thereof. I got my first card in 1972, moved in 1978, the Chief of Police who signed my current card left this Earth years ago but the card is still good. If you move within the state you get your card updated by your new PD. For handguns you apply to your local PD for a permit to Purchase Pistol or Revolver, same procedures as the Yellow Card, these permits are good for 90 days, I think you can get an extension. Biggest problems is loss of places to shoot. There was a range/gun shop in Hoboken, they closed some years ago, Ray's on Route 22 in Scotch Plains has closed, I used to go to Hillsborough Outdoor Sports Center, they closed in 2003. Many towns have restrictions on firearms discharge due to the population desnity. Several private clubs, you have to contact them for membership requirements. No CCW, those permits are issued by appointed Superior Court judges and are few and far between. The shooter I knew who had one said he got it because the judge was his cousin.
Cased gun laws, as a retired Reserve Officer I firmly believe in Cover and Concealment so that's NBD. Our now ex-Governor Corzine pushed for and got
a "One Handgun a Month" law, turns out it's so badly written that enforcement is on hold while they try to figure out how to correct it. Other than firearms discharge no local restrictions that I know of.

geetarman

Come to Arizona. It is a very friendly gun state. Plenty of places to shoot.

I have been out here since 1990 and no way will I move back to Illinois and the miserable FOID crap.

I have my CCW and I can go in buy whatever I want and shoot it the same day. Gotta love it.:D

darkgael

Brooklyn

I live in Brooklyn. I have a NYC pistol permit. I am a member at a gun club (Metropolitan Rod and Gun)that has a facility and an indoor range five blocks from my house. It's been there since 1934. I practice there regularly and shoot about thirty pistol matches a year at that range.
So...living in Brooklyn and owning firearms is no big deal.
It is expensive, though; the City does take its pound of flesh.
Pete

jersey joe

Done both

Born and raised in Bklyn and moved to Joisey when I could no longer afford to live in NY. I don't own handguns but from a long gun perspective I would say it is a push. I agree with SIG that a difference could be lack of access but I would suggest that time has affected access more than state law.

I used to shoot at two places on LI and a place in Jersey tht did both trap and rifle. At least two of the three are now gone and I suspect the third is gone as well.

I picked up a firearms card many years ago and needed to refresh it recently because of lack of use. BTW, purchasing at Cabela's, 90 minutes away, is no big deal. Twenty minutes on their part checking something and I am done. It could be a ploy, though, on their part to have me spend more money.

I can shoot 200 yards at Fort Dix and 300 yards if I choose to buy a membership at at least two clubs that I am aware of.

I don't know your neighborhood but that might be your biggest difference. I remember Bklyn as good ol' blue collar where I could talk to guys on the block about hunting. Sections of Joisey can be snooty and anti-gun and that is a potential fact that you may need to deal with.

To summarize, Joisey has no deli's, not even neighborhoods, and you will need to drive everywhere. If you can live in a nice neighborhood and afford Bklyn I would stay. If you are going to eventually have rugrats I would suggest NJ.

Glenn Dee

Have you considerd going upstate NY?... A lot more gun friendly. No requirements for long guns, and handgun permits can be had. If I remember right, you can even open carry during rifle/shotgun hunting season.

A premis permit can be had within the city of NY. Not all that hard to get... although you will need a lot of patience, and money.

There are probably more pistol ranges in NYC than in northern NJ.

The City of NY is extremely firearm unfriendly. But there's also a strong pro-firearm segment.

If you move to florida... you will be happy.

CRUE CAB

Move to Georgia, not Florida.
Florida has no jobs, crappy pay for the ones that are here and its a right to work state.
Meaning you can be let go at anytime for no reason.
Plus you just wont like it here. No one does when they move here. I hear so much complaining from new comers its a wonder why they moved here at all.

Chipperman

I used to live in Brooklyn, and my wife grew up there. I enjoyed it at the time, but would never move back there to live. I still like to visit the in-laws, although I have to be unarmed when I do it. :mad:

If I had to choose between NYC and NJ taking ONLY guns into account, I'd choose Jersey. However, NJ has its own set of issues.

4EVERM-14

Was born and raised in the garbage state. Live in Pa. now. But I still go back to shoot matches. There are a lot of shooting opportunities in Jersey. I know many don't want to shoot competition but the fact is that it's really a social event. People enjoying the sport, telling stories, jokes, sharing reloading tips, comparing equipment and trading. Many clubs have open leagues. You don't have to be a club member to participate. Between NYC and Jersey I think the Big Apple is rotten to the core. I get panic attacks when I get close to the Hudson River. New Jersey is, of course, a close second but has a few more benefits.