NY Red Flag law unconstitutional

Metal god said:
OMG , No it’s not !

Actually it is.

Metal god said:
It’s about how you raise your children and mental health

It's only about mental health. How you were "raised" is not part of it.

Metal god said:
Just like drunk driving deaths are not about the car

Right it's about the booze and driving when you've had too much, just like this issue is about guns and nuts.

Metal god said:
The one thing I agree with you so far is not wanting to respond anymore :-(

Then I won't....to you. Unless, we can get back on point. :D

zukiphile

Several years ago (pre-1968) we had much greater access to guns but virtually no mass school shootings.

Except the ones we did have. http://behindthetower.org/a-brief-history-of-mass-shootings

TG said:
I'm not an expert on mental health (and so far I don't think any of you are either) and I'm not an expert on state by state insanity laws (again I don't see many of you are either) but their appears to be a need to craft better tools for crazy folk who have guns other than commitment to an insane asylum for conceivably the rest of their lives which is (and should be) very very hard to do.

I described the existing alternatives to that in posts 26 and 44.

If one doesn't know what tools are available already, then the appearance of a need for new laws may be an illusion.

zukiphile said:
Except the ones we did have.

Which weren't as often or in schools.

zukiphile said:
I described the existing alternatives to that in posts 26 and 44. If one doesn't know what tools are available already, then the appearance of a need for new laws may be an illusion.

And I've explained that current laws (which you really don't identify other than to say they are there) require a very high standard of evidence to remove the full liberty of the individual indefinitely. We might need something else.

Metal god

How you raise your children has nothing to do with there mental health as adults ????? :confused: Mental health issues are not just about the big worded conditions. Its about self esteem , knowing the difference between right and wrong , how to play well with others , not to take everything so personal . I could go on and on , these are all things you teach your children at a very young age so they can cope in the world as adults and be a productive member of society. For you to think that how you raise, your children has no effect on what they do in life clearly shows me that you have no children and if you do…… :-(

Last edited:
Tennessee Gentleman said:
zukiphile said:
Except the ones we did have.
Non sequitur. Zukiphile specifically responded to your comment about "mass school shootings." You can't claim that "mass school shootings" did not occur in schools.

You may argue that school shootings are more frequent today than they were a hundred or two hundred years ago, but they did happen. The first mass school shooting in the U.S. that I've found in my research was in 1891. 14 people were wounded, none killed. That was 132 years ago, so you can't honestly claim that mass school shootings are strictly a recent phenomenon. The 1891 school shooting took place in Liberty, Mississippi. There was no internet. I suspect it's quite likely that news of the event never spread outside of Mississippi, and probably didn't reach many places within Mississippi. Today, it would be front page news on fifty web sites before the last empty casing hit the floor. It isn't that today's mass shootings are any more deadly -- dead is dead -- but the near instant promulgation of reports of mass shootings by mass media with a collective agenda to demonize firearms significantely changes the dynamic.

However, despite a recent increase in the number of such incidents, the single most deadly school massacre in the U.S. did not involve firearms, and was not recent. It was in 1927, and the weapon of choice was dynamite. Bath Consolidated School massacre. 44 people killed, and 58 injured. And the toll could have been worse. The school had two wings. The bomber had mined both wings, but the dynamite under one side of the building failed to detonate.

Why are these incidents occurring more frequently today? I respectfully submit that it's not because guns are more deadly. Let's face it -- we have had lever action repeating rifles since 1860. The lever action rifle was the "assault weapon" of the day, yet people weren't using them to shoot up schools. What has changed? COMMUNICATION. The Internet -- social media -- YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, and TicTok. The problem isn't a firearms problem, it's a mental health problem, and the fact that a would-be school shooter can (a) research other school shootings almost instantaneously in almost complete privacy, and then (b) become instantly famous by live-streaming his/her attack is what has really changed the school (and other mass) shooting dynamic.

I don't know what the right answer is, but I do know that curtailing the constitutional rights of millions of innocent, law-abiding people in an attempt (which cannot succeed) to prevent that which cannot be prevented is not the right answer.

zukiphile said:
The police in those episodes didn't know that the people involved would murder someone.

They didn't have to. They just had to act on what the shooters had already done.

In the case of Columbine, there was a warrant for explicit threats and suspicion of bomb making. Had the police actually served it, they would have found the supplies and plans of the attackers. It absolutely was preventable.

In the case of Parkland, police had been to the shooter's house over three dozen times. Several of those calls were for terroristic threats and domestic violence. Had they pressed charges, the shooter would not have been able to buy guns.

Same with Tucson, in which the shooter was known to have made felonious threats to local officials. Again, arresting and charging him would have disqualified him from possessing firearms.

Same with the Washington Naval Yard shooter, who was able to buy guns because nobody saw fit to charge him for numerous incidents in which he shot at people and things.

Same goes the Sutherland Springs church shooter, who was able to buy firearms because the Air Force failed to report his domestic violence conviction to the NICS system.

And the list goes on.

zukiphile

TG said:

That's incorrect. I didn't link the source as a clever way to waste your time. It contains records of events of which you weren't aware.

TG said:
I described the existing alternatives to that in posts 26 and 44. If one doesn't know what tools are available already, then the appearance of a need for new laws may be an illusion.
And I've explained that current laws (which you really don't identify other than to say they are there) ...

No. I did quite a bit more than say current laws exist.

In post 26, I explain that there is a criminal penalty for menacing, and guardianship for those who need others to care for them. Neither of those are psychiatric commitment.

TG said:
... require a very high standard of evidence to remove the full liberty of the individual indefinitely. We might need something else.

If you need a special lower standard of evidence to get your way, you shouldn't get your way.

zukiphile

TS said:
The police in those episodes didn't know that the people involved would murder someone.
They didn't have to. They just had to act on what the shooters had already done.

In the case of Columbine, there was a warrant for explicit threats and suspicion of bomb making. Had the police actually served it, they would have found the supplies and plans of the attackers. It absolutely was preventable.

Apologies, I missed that, so my response was inapposite.

Our fallibility shows up even when we do have enough information. That's also a condition no law will fix.

AG (Me) said:
Why are these incidents occurring more frequently today? I respectfully submit that it's not because guns are more deadly. Let's face it -- we have had lever action repeating rifles since 1860. The lever action rifle was the "assault weapon" of the day, yet people weren't using them to shoot up schools. What has changed? COMMUNICATION. The Internet -- social media -- YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, and TicTok. The problem isn't a firearms problem, it's a mental health problem, and the fact that a would-be school shooter can (a) research other school shootings almost instantaneously in almost complete privacy, and then (b) become instantly famous by live-streaming his/her attack is what has really changed the school (and other mass) shooting dynamic.
https://www.ammoland.com/2023/04/ra...st-for-mass-shootings-not-guns/#ixzz7yhSkPyIZ

44 AMP

Staff
I want to make the sphere of liberty smaller for nuts who might have a violent (even if temporary) impulse.

(buzzer sound)

I cannot agree with this, reasonable as it sounds, because of one word.

MIGHT

"Might" is an acknowledgement of the existence of a possibility. That's all it is. It is not, and should never be taken to mean that a possibility is anything other than a possibility. "Might" has nothing to do with the probability or likelihood of anything. Determining that requires additional evidence.

"Might" (and "might not") are, or might be, :rolleyes: the ultimate blanket coverage term. Everything we can think of can be covered under that blanket.

I don't think taking action based solely on "might" is the right thing to do. You might think differently.

Now "nuts"....another word used many ways. In the context of this discussion we are not usint "nut" to describe an entusiast about something but someone who might be dangerous.

The term in common use in today's discussions "Mental Health issues".
Which is yet another nebulous blanket term. And even worse, it is a term with flexible definitions. What is, or is not a "mental health issue" depends on who is making the judgement.

There are still people alive today (though fewer every year) who can remember a time when homosexuality was listed in the standard medical texts as a mental illness. (just one example of how "standards" change)

Literally, anyone who thinks differently than what is considered "normal" (by the person making the judgement) may be labeled mentally ill, or "nuts".

Mental Health is a sloppy nebulous term that can, and has been applied to anyone who thinks differently than you do. And, its more of a net than a blanket, because, like a net, it catches some things and lets others slip through.

We make the (understandable) automatic judgement that someone who commits a mass shooting/mass murder has mental health problems, because, its obvious, sane people do not do such things.

problem is, sometimes "sane" people do such things. OR perhaps more correctly people who are otherwise considered sane, do such things.

We have an almost built in preconception that people judged insane are not capable of detailed logical reasoning or carrying out complex plans.

Some are not. Some are.

The problems that must be overcome in order to craft a "better" kind of red flag law are numerous, and as I see it, primarily are;
(in no particular order, and by no means all inclusive)

The fact that, until an illegal act happens, the suspect is just a law abiding citizen who must be afforded the same rights as everyone else.

While people (and governments) do, they should not act out of fear.

Taking pre-emptive action against someone who has not broken the law is acting out of fear.

I freely admit there are situations where that pre-emptive action is the correct thing to do for public safety. We have laws that cover that and allow it. Generally speaking, the pre-emptive action is initiated when there is evidence of one of those "conspiracy to commit" laws is broken.

I'll use the example of the "mad bomber" who gets arrested before setting off (or sometimes even finishing) their bomb. I consider that a justifiable response, but that is a vastly different situation than what red flag laws are doing.

Another thing a law has to get past is simply that it is a law, and so must meet certain requirements, some of which are that it must be fair, and fairly applied to everyone.
IN order to do that, there must be standards. Specifically defined points that the situation either meets, or does not meet.

What are they to be? WHO decides that? Legislators? Judges? general public opinion based on polls?? :eek: Activists for one point of view or another?? :eek::eek::eek:

For example, we have legal standards to define what is legally a threat. DO vague and creepy social media posts meet that standard? They might, they might not....Everyone has a different point of view, but the law can have only one, otherwise it cannot meet the equal treatment requirement of the law.

Arguments about the "right" way to raise children have a point, but that point ends when the child discovers it has free will. The old argument about "nature vs. nurture" also ignores free will.

The classice discussion example is a "good" family who has three sons. One grows up to be a priest, another a cop, and the third a career criminal.

All have the same nature (genetics or what ever term you apply) and the same nurture (raised in the same environment) but the result is different.
I think the answer is free will.

And I think this also applies to the mass killers, and their "mental health". Some people do those things because they have actual mental issues, and some do it simply because they choose to.

Sane, but extremely maladjusted to society...is that insane? Is it a mental health matter, or a behavioral choice? And, no matter which, how does the law deal fairly with that?

One of the many standards used is does the subject understand the difference between right and wrong? If they know its wrong and do it anyway, its a criminal matter. If they don't know its wrong, then its a mental health matter, so it becomes a matter of treatment for illness rather than punishment for a crime.

The unavoidable downside to this is that all we can ever know is what the subject tells up. And a really good liar can fool a lot of people.

Here is something happening right now.

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/new-details-on-how-republicans-will-attempt-to-pass-a-protection-order-bill-in-tennessee?_amp=true

Now what you need for context is that Tennessee is one of the most gun friendly states in the nation. Heck, we even have a state rifle (the Barrett 50 BMG). If this Governor is now asking the legislature to craft such a bill you need to realize how much the needle has moved. This would never have happened as little as 4 years ago.

So, back to the original question. Can a bill be drafted that has due process and allow guns to be taken away from nuts? I ask this question in this forum because I think the handwriting is on the wall.

44 AMP

Staff
So, back to the original question. Can a bill be drafted that has due process and allow guns to be taken away from nuts?

YES
We already have that, and have had for quite some time....like since 68 I think.

The "drawback" is that A) under due process people have to be declared "nuts" by a court, BEFORE the cops can seize their guns and B)that isn't fast enough to make scared people feel safe.

SO they want a new rule, and we got red flag laws, which are hugely flawed legally and practically, but they work FAST and so people FEEL safe. (or some do, anyway :rolleyes:)

The tightrope that needs to be walked is to be able to balance, a law that meets Constitutional standards, AND works fast enough to take guns away from "nuts" to make people feel safe and happy.

The variable that cannot be predicted is what will actually make people feel safe fast enough. And, how long it will last. Because you know that when the system fails to stop every single killer, there will be people yelling we need even more restriction, regulation and out right bans where ever possible.

Always remember that there are people who think anyone who owns any gun is "nuts", and their vote counts as much as yours does, and right now, they are yelling very loudly. Whether their point is valid, or not, the people that yell the loudest do get heard.

So, back to the original question. Can a bill be drafted that has due process and allow guns to be taken away from nuts? I ask this question in this forum because I think the handwriting is on the wall.
Back in colonial Salem, Massachusetts, the handwriting was on the wall, too -- and a number of people were executed as witches. I don't disagree that the handwriting seems to be on the wall -- my state enacted a red flag law several years ago -- but that doesn't mean they are a good thing. As someone once said, "Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing what to have for dinner." The fact that the handwriting is on the wall means that the media and the anti-gun zealots have been successful in promoting their disinformation campaign and convincing the gullible public that inanimate objects are (a) evil, and (b) capable of causing mass shootings.

More directly to your question: Can a red flag law be crafted that provides due process? Of course it can. All it has to do is provide due process -- rather than make the seizure hearing secret and ex parte, a proper due process law would notify the accused of the hearing and allow him/her to be represented and to defend himself/herself. That's all it would take. If the concern is that informing the subject about the hearing would give him/her an opportunity to commit the shooting while waiting for the hearing, that's easy -- make the hearing instantaneous. The police serve the notice of the hearing, not a process server, and they take the person directly to the courthouse and the hearing is held right then and there. If the accused doesn't have an attorney on speed dial, the court will provide one.

That's due process. But the anti-gun zealots don't want that, and they'll never settle for that.

Can a bill be drafted that has due process and allow guns to be taken away from nuts?

Maybe, but I won't accept it under these terms:

if the legislature can't pass an order of protection bill this session, it may only be harder to accomplish next year, once emotions from the Covenant School Shooting have eased.

Operating from emotion is what gets bad laws made. If an idea can't stand on its own merits, it's not worth pursuing.

zukiphile

AB said:
I don't disagree that the handwriting seems to be on the wall -- my state enacted a red flag law several years ago -- but that doesn't mean they are a good thing. ***
That's due process. But the anti-gun zealots don't want that, and they'll never settle for that.

One aspect of this issue on which I may agree with Tennessee Gentlemen is that the attraction to RFLs isn't only an affliction of anti-gun zealots. In my state, there is a "law and order" sort of sentiment that can be very pro-government so long as the government isn't seen as a thief. In this view, RFLs aren't something one worries about because it won't be applied against normal, suburban nice people. It's a myopic and social way to view government power.

I'm in Ohio, and I've heard my governor defend our version of RFL by falsely describing what it does. Because of the way the politics of the issue aligned, it was an NPR correspondent who pressed the issue with the Governor and got the man to defend it in ways he knew were false.

44 said:
The "drawback" is that A) under due process people have to be declared "nuts" by a court, BEFORE the cops can seize their guns and B)that isn't fast enough to make scared people feel safe.

Is anything faster than a pre-existing fear?

TS said:
if the legislature can't pass an order of protection bill this session, it may only be harder to accomplish next year, once emotions from the Covenant School Shooting have eased.
Operating from emotion is what gets bad laws made. If an idea can't stand on its own merits, it's not worth pursuing.

That bolded language may be as close as you'll get to an admission that the goal is to manipulate people to pass a bad law.

TG said:
Can a bill be drafted that has due process and allow guns to be taken away from nuts?

What is a "nut"?

What is the burden of evidence to be carried by the prosecutor or petitioner?

Is there any specific sort of evidence that must be present to support a determination of "nuttiness"?

If the respondent is a dangerous "nut", what else is he not allowed to do?

What is the mechanism for restoring the person's rights when the "nuttiness" has passed?

What is the sanction against those who file fraudulent "stop this nut!" petitions?

zukiphile said:
What is the sanction against those who file fraudulent "stop this nut!" petitions?
That's a big question, and an important one. Most of the existing red flag laws don't include any sanctions for filing a false petition.

A poster child for abuse of red flag laws is the case of the woman on Colorado who, a couple or so years ago, filed an "extreme risk protection order" against the police officer who was forced to shoot and kill her son, who was approaching the officer with a knife and who refused to put it down. The officer's body cam showed him back peddling probably at least 100 feet, all the while begging the perp to drop the knife. Finally, the kid rushed the cop, so the cop (and another officer on the scene) had to open fire.

The grieving mother filed an ERPO against the cop, claiming that he was a murderer and a danger to society. The Colorado law (at least at that time) required that a complainant be somehow related to the subject of the order, so on the form she checked a box claiming [falsely] that she and the officer had a child in common.

Ultimately, she was arrested and convicted of perjury, but it took a couple of years for that to play out. But I don't think all states have a form such as that as part of their system. In my state, as originally adopted the ERPO law required two police officers to sign off on a petition. A recent revision removed that requirement, and also opened it up to the point where just about anyone who can remember your name (even if they can't spell it correctly) can file for an order against you.

https://www.reporterherald.com/2022...erjury-attempt-to-influence-a-public-servant/

44 AMP said:
The tightrope that needs to be walked is to be able to balance, a law that meets Constitutional standards, AND works fast enough to take guns away from "nuts" to make people feel safe and happy.

Tom Servo said:
Maybe, but I won't accept it under these terms:

I think this is what I am talking about. How would one craft such a law. What would be the components that would give us the desired result.

Tom Servo said:

So, I think the issue of Red Flag Laws has some legs for these reasons:

School Shootings will continue

States (even gun friendly ones like Florida) are enacting them.

Really Gun friendly states like TN are seriously considering them and even the Governor has asked for one.

Voters feel like they are reasonable ways to prevent some of these shootings and that some tool other than full on involuntary commitment needs to be in play.

So, bottom-line is that this issue will be brought up again and may be coming to a state near you. Since I like proacting, maybe discussion of what that tool should look like would better be between us gun types or "others" will make it up for us. Sticking our heads in the sand prolly won't help and may get us a law that really sucks.

So, what are the components look like?

I listened to a few Mental Health types and diagnosis of a particular disease seems to be less helpful than actual behavior at the time and many of these nuts aren't formally diagnosed.

44 AMP

Staff
What would be the components that would give us the desired result.

What, in your opinion, is the desired result?

You keep asking "how do we write a better red flag law?" What I'm getting from that is "can we? and "how do we do it if we can?"

What I'm not getting is "should we?"

I don't think we should.

I'm afraid I don't buy the argument that "its going to happen, if we help them, maybe we'll get a better deal".

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. The way I see it, red flag laws are not just paving stones, but are steeply sloped down and covered with oil.

I'm not being paid to be part of the work crew installing them, and I'm not at all interested in telling that crew how to do a better job.

you can't fix anything until you know what is broken and no fix can last until you understand what caused it to break in the first place, and change that.

I'm afraid I don't buy the argument that "its going to happen, if we help them, maybe we'll get a better deal".

Oh, we've been down THAT road. In 1934, when we agreed to swallow the NFA as long as they took handguns off. In 1968, when they said they just wanted to put some slight restrictions and they ended up banning huge swathes of imports. In 1994, when they told us they'd leave us alone if we'd let them have the Brady Act.

Something most people don't understand is, gun-control advocates can't be dealt with in good faith. Any "deal" we think we're striking with them will be poisoned.

Metal god

Straight up word ! Tom . The cake analogy is perfect to make that point.

The Cake
Let's say I have this cake. It is a very nice cake, with "GUN RIGHTS" written across the top in lovely floral icing. I received it from the 2nd amendment.

Along you come and say, "Give me that cake."

I say, "No, it's my cake."

You say, "Let's compromise. Give me half." I respond by asking what I get out of this compromise, and you reply that I get to keep half of my cake.

Okay, we compromise. Let us call this compromise The National Firearms Act of 1934.

There I am with my half of the cake, and you walk back up and say, "Give me that cake."

cake
I say, "No, it's my cake."

You say, "Let's compromise." What do I get out of this compromise? Why, I get to keep half of what's left of the cake I already own?

So, we have your compromise -- let us call this one the Gun Control Act of 1968 -- and I'm left holding what is now just a quarter of my cake.

And I'm sitting in the corner with my quarter piece of cake, and here you come again. You want my cake. Again.

You say, "Let's compromise once more." What do I get out of this compromise? I get to keep one-eighth of what's left of the cake I already own?

So, we have your compromise -- let us call this one the Machine gun ban of 1986 -- and I'm left holding what is now just an eighth of my cake.

I sit back in the corner with just my eighth of cake that I once owned outright and completely, I glance up and here you come once more.

You say nothing and just grab my cake; This time you take several bites -- we'll call this compromise the Clinton Executive Orders -- and I'm left with about a tenth of what has always been MY CAKE and you've got nine-tenths of it.

Then we compromised with the Lautenberg Act (nibble, nibble), the HUD/Smith and Wesson agreement (nibble, nibble), the Brady Law (NOM NOM NOM), the School Safety and Law Enforcement Improvement Act (sweet tap-dancing Freyja, my finger!)

I'm left holding crumbs of what was once a large and satisfying cake, and you're standing there with most of MY CAKE, making anime eyes and whining about being "reasonable", and wondering "why we won't compromise