NY Mag article on guns

TDL

TDL, even when following the fourth, fifth, sixth and eighth amendments, the courts should be able to more effectively incarcerate violent recidivists.
Finally, while I am often offended by supporters of the 1st Amendment who routinely undercut the 2nd, I am equally offended by supporters of the 2nd Amendment who routinely undercut the 1st.

I like the Bill of Rights, and don't wish to weaken any of those Amendments.
Mleak, that was my point. Virtually all of the bill of rights can be portrayed as more harmful to public safety with the same arguments and tactics attacking the second amendments.

You didn't seriously think I was going to have my eight-year-old write to the president denouncing the first amendment?

My point remains: the fourth and fifth amendments kill children. The first amendment kills more American children than assault rifles.

MLeake

TDL, no, I didn't think you were going to have your kid write letters.

I just thought your sarcasm regarding the fourth, fifth, sixth, and eighth - which I realize you like but you were portraying a screaming blowhard for satire's sake - could have been taken seriously. There are quite a few people out there who believe that such things as Miranda Warnings are Bad.

My point was, it isn't the fault of the Amendments, but I chose to play it straight whereas you went for satire.