NPR's take on the Second Amendment:

You can't be serious, Robert J McElwain.

What did the Miller decision decide?

What did the program represent as settled law?

Who on the show represented the individual rights interpretation of the Second Amendment?

What was the tone of voice used when referring to those misguided supporters of an individual right interpretation of the Second Amendment?

What was the tone of voice used when pointing out the long standing, and (assumed) correct, collective right interpretation of the Second Amendment?

One post after another in this thread and at the NPR/OTM site has pointed out misrepresentations, factual errors, exaggerations, snide allusions, and deliberately incorrect interpretations of law made throughout the broadcast. The transcript is available for you to read so you don't have to rely on your aural recollection. If you maintain the accuracy of what was said and that the points of view broadcast on the Second Amendment was a balanced representation, I'd like to know how you put that together.

I think you've made my point.

Bob

copenhagen

Nice signature Bob. By the way, I am far from a right wing nut job or a liberal. I did however find much bias in NPR's piece. I am somewhat of a Constitutionalist you might say.

FireMax

playboypenguin
The NRA does only have the second half on their headquarters...and I am sure it is not an accident.

You are referring to... the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

That does say it all, doesn't it.;)

FireMax

epyon
Out of all the forms of American media I have noticed, NPR is rather in the middle about things compared to liberal nut jobs on CNN and whacked out conservatives on Fox. Face it commercial news is just that, commercial. They don't care about reporting more so than getting ratings and making money.

I have to disagree with you there. I believe that today's media wants to have a direct effect on how you and I think about issues. I don't find the media is motivated as much by money as they are by power.

5Wire

Robert J McElwain posts:
I think you've made my point.

No, I didn't. You have not answered any of the questions or countered any of the arguments, mine or others, made for bias. And you've made no argument supporting your position. Am I missing some tongue in cheek point you've made?

Do you want to attempt to have a discussion or are you merely being contentious? Please, demonstrate your claim. So far, you're blowing smoke.

nemoaz

NPR is the source of the left wing witless ninnies (Juan Williams, Mara Liason, Susan Estrogen and others) used for target practice on Fox News. That should tell you all you need to know.

Al Norris

Moderator Emeritus
Robert J McElwain said:
I don't understand where people find the bias in a balanced explanation of the current Constitutional argument.
Okay.... Bob, where in the NPR piece is: Whether the provisions of D.C. Code (citations omitted), violate the Second Amendment rights of individuals who are not affiliated with any state-regulated militia, but who wish to keep handguns and other firearms for private use in their homes, answered or even addressed?

That is the Constitutional question to be decided. Not the collective right vs. individual right stance that the NPR piece took. That question was laid to rest before even the merits briefs were filed, by the manner of the question the Court has decided to address.

In short, either the second amendment rights of individuals are violated by the provisions of the D.C. Code or they are not. The NPR piece, as did all the briefs in support of D.C. (and a majority of briefs for the respondent), addressed a matter not before the Court.

I suspect that the Court will address this issue, if only in dicta, but it will not be the decision that is handed done.

As the NPR report failed to address the constitutional question, but raised the specter of a dead issue, how then can it be balanced?

5Wire

Some broadcast examples of bias by misdirection (emphasis and parenthetical comments, mine):

BOB GARFIELD: And I'm Bob Garfield. The right to bear arms, that's what the Second Amendment to the Constitution guarantees. Right? Maybe. On March 19th the Supreme Court heard oral arguments in a case that likely will determine an issue that has been settled in the court since 1939, but not in the public policy debate.
DAHLIA LITHWICK: Well, the ban is widely considered one of the most restrictive in the nation, and it pretty much bans handguns altogether, with some exceptions. The gun ban was struck down as unconstitutional.

And then the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals, which is a, you know, very prestigious and influential court in the nation, went and said, yes, that's right. The gun ban is unconstitutional because the Second Amendment provides a personal right to bear arms. And this was really a shocker. And the Supreme Court really had to look at this issue very, very closely for the first time in 70 years...

...The court said, no, it's not a personal right to pack heat...

...So what the court's going to do now is go back and look at, okay, assume that there's a fundamental Second Amendment right, a personal individual right to bear arms... (as opposed the the collective right assumed in the interview)

...the legal question, the Constitutional question, you know, here's what the courts have held for decades and this has not wavered.... (The collective interpretation asserted, above.)

Not to mention Antipitas' last points.

Nice signature Bob. By the way, I am far from a right wing nut job or a liberal. I did however find much bias in NPR's piece. I am somewhat of a Constitutionalist you might say.

Copenhagen,

I read most of the transcripts from the SCOTUS hearings and it seemed to me that NPR was just summarizing the arguments from both sides, not trying to make their own arguments. As such, I thought that was fair, given that they were reporting to an audience that probably had not followed the issue as closely as most forum members.

Again, based on the arguments and the questioning by the Court, I expect the decision to go in favor of Heller. The devil will be in the details.

Bob

Pilot

whacked out conservatives on Fox

:confused:

I watch Fox and they ALWAYS present both sides. Even their most conservative host, Sean Hannity has a liberal associate, Alan Colmes and admits he is a conservative COMMENTATOR not a news broadcaster. CNN and NPR deceive my presenting their liberal agenda as news not commentary. HUGE DIFFERENCE.

mvpel

Playboypenguin wrote:
Really??? Please link the court decisions (prior to this case) that have stated that the 2A is clear guarantee of an individual right? I must have missed all those...and so must have most of the country or we would not need the NRA.
It's very simple.

If Miller had not been able to raise a challenge to the NFA grounded in an individual right guaranteed by the Second Amendment, his case would have been dismissed for want of standing, rather than remanded for further hearings as to the military usefulness of short-barrel shotguns with an expectation of further review by the Supreme Court. There was no credible evidence that Miller was a member of some state-organized militia, nor could there be since he was a rum-runner and denizen of the criminal underworld.

Prior to that case, you wouldn't need a court decision stating that the Second Amendment is an individual right any more than you'd need a court decision saying that the First Amendment protects the right to keep and bear ink and printing presses.

Court decisions which misinterpret and misconstrue the Miller case are junk, and don't merit discussion.

As for other cases, get yourself a copy of the book Supreme Court Gun Cases by Alan Korwin and Dave Kopel:

Why didn't the US Supreme Court dismiss the Bean case for want of standing? Or the Small case, which pointed out that the Court should "defer to Congress’ Findings that firearm possession is a constitutional right which may not be taken away unless the law clearly so provides"? Or why did they discuss the Second Amendment in terms of other individual rights in the Bill of Rights in the Verdugo-Urqidez case?

It's quite clear that the US Supreme Court has consistently recognized the Second Amendment as an individual right for decades - nay, centuries.

jakeswensonmt

Even their most conservative host, Sean Hannity has a liberal associate, Alan Colmes
And every once in a while, they actually let Colmes get in a word or two, and he usually smiles sheepishly and makes a brilliant comment like "golly" or "jeepers." It's not easy for Hannity to get the leash on underneath Colmes' shirt and tie.

Agreed that CNN and NPR push the politically correct agenda day and night, but Fox is just as blatantly imbalanced, leaning towards a neocon-sycophant fascist agenda. None of the aforementioned "news" sources are trustworthy, and contain very little that is indeed "newsworthy."

5Wire

jakeswensonmt posts:
And every once in a while, they actually let Colmes get in a word or two, and he usually smiles sheepishly and makes a brilliant comment like "golly" or "jeepers." It's not easy for Hannity to get the leash on underneath Colmes' shirt and tie.

Agreed that CNN and NPR push the politically correct agenda day and night, but Fox is just as blatantly imbalanced, leaning towards a neocon-sycophant fascist agenda. None of the aforementioned "news" sources are trustworthy, and contain very little that is indeed "newsworthy."
You can't shut Colmes up. He talks over any non liberal guest on the show. He's rude about it. Maybe it's his job.

Aside from your name calling and misunderstanding of the word "fascist", I pretty much agree that "news" sources are untrustworthy. Fox, however has polled less untrustworthy than the others by almost half:

The most trusted national TV news organizations, for accurate reporting, in declining order included: Fox News (27.0%), CNN (14.6%), and NBC News (10.90%). These were followed by ABC News (7.0%), local news (6.9%), CBS News (6.8%) MSNBC (4.0%), PBS News (3.0%), CNBC (0.6%) and CBN (0.5%).
Notice where PBS falls. (Source)

I call the current media efforts "Mediaocracy." That is, when the media want your opinion, they'll tell you what it is. The subject at hand, NPR/OTM, being a really good example of an attempt at what is called in Public Relations circles, "Opinion Engineering."

copenhagen

Update:

Listened to the offending little program on NPR tonight, On The Media. I thought for sure they would have the fortitude to read some of the comments left on their "Under the Gun" program. Guess I thought wrong. Also, some guy pretty much accused everyone who commented of being informed by the NRA (I don't even think the NRA has said anything about this), and being members of the KKK. This was not on the radio, but is a comment on the original program's web page from the beginning of this post. Needless to say, I responded. I think you guys might get a kick out of this guy though.

FireMax

The signification attributed to the term Militia appears from the debates in the Convention, the history and legislation of Colonies and States, and the writings of approved commentators. These show plainly enough that the Militia comprised all males physically capable of acting in concert for the common defense. 'A body of citizens enrolled for military discipline.' And further, that ordinarily when called for service these men were expected to appear bearing arms supplied by themselves and of the kind in common use at the time.

The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Enough said.