Not what i was looking for, but...

stagpanther

I went looking on Browning's site because I was curious if the twist rate is enough to handle the newer very high BC .257 bullets--looks like Scorch is right, I couldn't find it and Browning I guess dropped it. My 7-08 BLR is a very handsome rifle but is more suitable for framing than actual firing IMO, plus coming equipped with an 7.25 to 8 lb triggerpull when they advertise a 4/4.5 triggerpull and then not offering to make good on it is when they lost me as a potential future customer.

Scorch

What about SAUMs--do they also burn out fast?
No faster than the WSMs do. But WSSMs really toast barrels with big charges of fast-ish powder.
The 6.5-300 Weatherby by those lines should be done in about 200 rounds.
No, larger cases can use slower powders that don't peak pressures quite as fast. But a 6.5-300 Weatherby is going to have a pretty short barrel life, probably <1,000 rounds. But a lot of Weatherby owners are just hunters, and it will take you several lifetimes of 5-10 shots per year to burn out a barrel.
And barrels are consumables.
For some people, yes. But most gun owners will scrap a rifle that needs to be rebarreled. Rebarreling is essentially the same price as a new rifle, so many owners will opt for a new toy rather than rebarrel. I see this a lot.

std7mag

Well, i purchased the scope yesterday.
Found at a shop on my way home from work.
Now to get some rings for it.

I am still waiting for the dies to arrive. Supposedly on Wednesday.
Till then, i haven't really looked at reloading recipies for it yet.
Really planning on using 120gr Partitions, 115gr Ballistic Tips or 115gr Berger VLD in it.
This will be a deer/bear rifle, so don't plan on putting thousands of rounds downrange with it.
I have my Stevens 200 in 250Savage, for coyotes and plinking.

Attachments

• 20220218_150102_copy_1836x2448.jpg
    20220218_150102_copy_1836x2448.jpg
    702.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 20220218_150115_copy_1836x2448.jpg
    20220218_150115_copy_1836x2448.jpg
    995.8 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

jmr40

The WSM cartridges are just the next evolutionary step in cartridge design. The 300 H&H was 1st but was so long it needed a magnum length action, or a modified long action rifle. The 300 WM was designed to do the same thing (actually a bit more), but from a standard long action. The 300 WSM duplicated 300 H&H, but from a short action.

The WSSM's in my opinion took things a little too far. Short fat cartridges burn powder more efficiently and have proven to be a little more accurate. But the WSSM's are so short and fat they have always had feeding and other issues.

What about SAUMs--do they also burn out fast?

There is an interesting bit of history behind Remington's SAUM, and Rugers Compact magnum cartridges. A guy named Rick Jamison designed a 30 caliber wildcat cartridge he named the 300 Jamison and took out a patent on it. He took his idea to Winchester hoping to sell the rights to them to manufacture the cartridge. Winchester turned him down, but a few months later offered the 300 WSM cartridge, which was an exact copy of the 300 Jamison.

Jamison sued and won. Under the terms of the suit Winchester was required to make 300 WSM rifles and Jamison got a royalty from every rifle and box of ammo sold for a number of years. No other manufacturer was required to make them, but if they did they had to give Jamison a royalty.

Both Remington and Ruger made a handful of rifles chambered in 300 WSM before the lawsuit. After the lawsuit they developed their own short action cartridges that were enough different to avoid the lawsuit. Otherwise there would have never been a Ruger Compact Magnum or a Remington Short Action Ultra Magnum.