Not caliber 'wars', but honest question, based on my calibers- why would I need more?

rc

Rossi 92, Stainless 16"

The Taurus/Rossi 92s are not bad guns. I have a 44 mag Rossi and a 357 marlin. I do prefer the marlin. If you can find a used marlin they are a little more comfortable and you can mount a scope or rail with peep sights more easily. The 92's are fun and I would not hesitate to buy one in 357. 357 from a rifle is a great round for popping 2 liter bottles and the Rossi is the most readily available and easiest to find in stainless which is maintenance free..... almost. Ballistics will be about 1750fps with 158 grain bullets and a bit over 2000fps with 125s but get soft points in that weight or you may have hollow points melting in mid flight due to friction with the air.

Deja vu

Keeping the ammo selection simple is a good thing. You can stock up on only a few kinds of rounds. I even buy the very same rounds about 90% of the time. I am a huge 357 magnum fan. I have lever actions, bolt guns, semiauto 1911s, Snub nose revolvers,Long barrel revolvers, Derringers, Single shot encore and a Silencer that I use on my bolt gun and my Coonan. Just to name them off the top of my head.

I hunt Mule deer here in Idaho with larger bullets all the way down to squirrels with round nose 38 specials and it does not do much more damage than a 22lr. I feel that it you are making a great choice with a 357 magnum rifle, especially if you all ready have pistols in that round.

But I believe in keeping it simple, All of my fire arms are 45-70 Govt, 357 magnum, 22 LR or 12 ga. It makes stocking up on ammo easy. Every pay day I buy either 1 box of 45-70 or 2 boxes of the other rounds. Then I usually replace what I shoot.

The only thing I wish I had was a long range rifle round. I have been thinking abut adding a 308 or a 30-06 but every time I try some thing stops me.

Last edited:
Not caliber 'wars', but honest question, based on my calibers- why would I need more?
Because:
Variety is the spice of life.
If you don't own your share you'll likely seek answers to questions like this.

lol:D

Last edited:

CDR_Glock

I acquired a 7mm-08 for hunting. Only because it has light recoil, and it's easier to trek in the mountains with a light rifle. It's good out to 250-300 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShootistPRS

You have a good selection of different calibers and two 12 ga. shotguns. The only thing I see missing is one you would probably never need. For defense against large dangerous game - like a grizzly or polar bear. The 308 could be marginal in a defense situation like that but with a good shot the 308 will kill it.
If you find yourself wanting something for that without a ton of recoil you could get a bolt or heavy lever action in 45-70 to top off your list.

If you want to get pistol calibers get the pistols to go with them. The 357 can take deer at 75 yards if you can shoot it and putting it in a carbine won't gain much range. Along with the 357 a CZ in 45 or 40 cal are good additions. As far as I'm concerned the 9mm is best for shooting sports and not an ideal caliber for defense - though in the right hands and with the right ammo there is really nothing wrong with the 9mm either. You could get a single or double action 45 Colt (long Colt) and have a carbine for it too for a matched ammo set.

All of your calibers except 223 are slow. A faster bullet expands better. While you could probably get away with using FMJ, you'd be better off with an expanding bullet.

HiBC

Friendly,I'm going to respectfully disagree.

If the 7x57 is a 98 Mauser or strong modern rifle,it can use Hornady light mags or handloads to the 2700 fps range.
Pretty much the same with a 308.
308 works just fine on elk at 300 yds.
On targets with 175 gr Matchkings or equivalent its good as far as our GI snipers use it.The book says 800 meters.
As a general rule the bullet manufacturers will tell you their cup and core expanding bullets perform well down to 2000 fps.

Which is all moot,as our OP says he does not care to hunt.

He could shoot targets and have fun with a trapdoor Springfield or Sharps shooting blackpowder 45-70 velocities.

Having said that,I'll agree that one of the 308's could rebarrel to a .243,or if that 7x57 is a strong action,a 6mm Rem or 257 Roberts are another "golf club" in the bag if the OP gets the itch.
But I would not say he "needs" any of those.

jetinteriorguy

Love my Henry .357 lever, great gun. People make such a big deal about the lack of a loading gate but to me it's the opposite, I prefer it without. Mine is very smooth with both .38 and .357, very accurate, well balanced and just a joy to shoot. The only thing I like more is my Henry in .41 mag, so far it's been amazing. But then I reload so ammo for the .41 is no big deal and so far all the loads I've tried shoot pretty close to the same POA out to 25 yds.

Rancid

I've lost track of how many firearms I own. All I know is once or twice a year I spray down the closet with WD40. :rolleyes:

But it is nice to dig around in there once in awhile and find something "new", like hey, where did this one come from! :D

Too each their own.

El Paso Joe

I don't know if any of this is spozed to be rational. You can get another one without the fear of making the ones you have jealous. What I do is go to the gun shop or show and look until I see one that is blowing kisses at me. I then ask if I can fondle and caress it. If it makes me breathe funny, I figure out if I have enough in the "gun fund" to cover it or if I have something to trade. Then I get a set of dies and some bullets and powder - if I don't already have them. Thus starts a romantic week end or two. Or more. I may need a new safe soon...

natman

You have a 22, a 223, a 308 and a 12 ga. You're good for just about everything in the lower 48. If you plan on hunting dangerous game you might want a heavy rifle, but that's the only exception.

GarandTd

I agree with previous posts about want vs need. Very few guns are "needed". Most are wanted. You've got multiple configurations in a number of calibers. 22, 223, 308, 12g cover most of the bases and are common calibers that will probably be readily, commercially available for quite some time.
Personally, I don't really need any of my firearms, but, I like guns and this great country tells me it's my right so I gladly excercise.
A 357 lever gun sounds like a good time. Now I want one!