"Not" buying a new revolver

Carmady

Speaking of weight, a couple of years ago I tried a Charter Arms 12oz .38. Before shooting it the little stock cc grips were replaced with the factory "full size rubber combat" grips, and that little sucker was no fun to shoot. My experience with that killed any interest/curiosity I had for any of the AirLite S&W's, and that's with the intention of shooting .38s. Magnums? FT

I would go with a 17.2oz LCRx in 9mm or .357 (and shoot .38s).

Blade-Tech makes a just about perfect (imo) IWB holster for the LCR which can be had on Amazon for under $30.

HighValleyRanch

A couple of other points of thought. The method of carry can considerably change the difference of several ounces. In both IWB and OWB, a stiff belt can make a world of difference. Two loops on the holster can made the revolver "feel" lighter than a single loop IWB holster, and the stiffness of the belt loops can make a huge difference as well.

In the pocket, the holster can make a difference as it distrubutes the weight around more evenly. The stiffness of the material of the pants make a huge difference, and whether the pants are loose or fitting matter as well. Too loose and the weight can move around too much. Too tight and the package might print but feel more balanced and stable. A stiffer fabric with help keep the package in tight, whereas too light a fabric will allow it to bounce around.

Method of carry finally can make the difference between a 22 ounce gun felling like a brick or a comfortable fit. It's all about distribution of weight and fit. I can carry a 2.5 pound revolver in a belly band, and it feels as comfortable as a 18 ounce revolver in a loose pants pocket.

So it's not just the numbers, but many other things in consideration.

Lohman446

I intend to continue with my G19 or G29 as my belt gun. This is going to replace my P938 as a light gun and in a belly band for running. Weight when running makes a difference. Maybe in the long run it transitions to replacing the Glocks as primary but that would take a lot of practice.

HighValleyRanch

^^^^
Off the revolver solution, but........
If you love your glock 19, and weight is the only problem, Krytos Industries makes a titanium slide for the glock 19 that will reduce the weight down to 18.5 ounces (the Kytos slide is 5.4 ounces lighter than a stock glock slide.
But......the price is around 500.00!!:eek:
sure you could buy another gun with that money, but if the glock is working for you, why not?

couple that with a belly band and I'm sure it would make a good running rig.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5ErapMeIgQ

The lightest combination I have for running is my 3" LCRX in the belly band. I don't run that much, but have practiced traditional martial arts forms many mornings with this setup on and hardly notice it's there.

Overkill777

Forget the 360. Go with a regular aluminum frame airweight over that. I like the hammerless but if you want a hammer get the hammer or the shrouded hammer model.

I like Ruger revolvers but I like S&W J frames over the LCR.

MoArk Willy

I have a 637-2 Performance Center. I believe it cost me $425.
Very, very nice revolver. Also very light and if you fire heavy loads you will feel it.
I would always choose a Smith over a Ruger in the lightweight pistols.
However a Chiefs Special would be a nice fine if the additional weight doesn't deter you.
The extra weight would make the revolver a bit more manageable albeit only a few ounces.

Last edited:

lamarw

OK, I just weight my S&W Model 10 (no dash) snub nose and my Model 36 (no dash) Chief Special snub nose. They were both fully loaded as they would be if you were carrying. The ammo was the same, 158 gr. semi-wad cutters, with the Model 10 weighing 31.9 ozs. and the Model 36 weighting 22.65 ozs. Of course, the Model 10 is loaded with 6 rounds and the Model 36 with 5 rounds. The difference in the two fully loaded revolvers is 9.25 ounces.

Carmady

Thread title: "Not" buying a new revolver

This is going to replace my P938 as a light gun and in a belly band for running. Weight when running makes a difference.

Why not really "Not" buy a revolver, and get a LCP or P32? They might be a much better (and cheaper, smaller, lighter with more capacity) fit for your intended purpose.

osbornk

While I own more Smith & Wesson handguns than any other make I must admit being very pleased with both the function and customer service I've received from Charter Arms. In the smaller framed "J" size handguns Charter Arms also has a pretty wide selection to choose from. From your description the Charter Arms Undercover series might meet your requirements. My example (sample size of 1 unfortunately) has been utterly reliable. In addition, Charter has been responsive and forthright in all my communications with the company even getting email responses from the CEO directly. And the cylinder turns deosil not widdershins.

standard.jpg
I was going to suggest Charter Arms but you beat me to it. Their only product is American made revolvers.

agtman

While I own more Smith & Wesson handguns than any other make I must admit being very pleased with both the function and customer service I've received from Charter Arms. In the smaller framed "J" size handguns Charter Arms also has a pretty wide selection to choose from. * * *

I was going to suggest Charter Arms but you beat me to it. Their only product is American made revolvers.

I haven't kept up with Charter Arms. They used to have a reputation for very poor QC, worse than Taurus' line of revolvers, if that's possible.

However, I recently read that C.A. is under new management. So what's their QC rep these days?

The variety of the chamberings they offer looks impressive. Esthetics generally doesn't really matter as long as it's an otherwise solid, reliable, no-frills wheelgun.

osbornk

I haven't kept up with Charter Arms. They used to have a reputation for very poor QC, worse than Taurus' line of revolvers, if that's possible.

However, I recently read that C.A. is under new management. So what's their QC rep these days?

The variety of the chamberings they offer looks impressive. Esthetics generally doesn't really matter as long as it's an otherwise solid, reliable, no-frills wheelgun.
According to what I read, their QC and reliability has increased dramatically since new ownership/management. Because of it, I just bought one in 22lr. It is a very nicely made gun but it locked up after I shot 18 rounds. I called them and described the problem. They sent me a return shipping box and it is on the way back to them now. They told me the turnaround is 7-10 business days.

Lohman446

Well I might do what I said I wouldn't. A local shop (at least to my in laws) took in from an estate a 360. Very minimal useage (if any) showing no holster wear or anything else. The guy bought a lot of guns over time and many of them were sitting in boxes in his storage closet. The place has two gun smiths on hand (and yes they actually do work) and see no indication of excess wear or looseness.

Not that I will fire the .357 round in it but the price is right in line with the 360J and just a touch higher than the airweights.