Nose Cap for Gary (Flintlock Rifle)

Captchee

nice job on the nose cap .
Pouring a nose cap isn’t that hard and in fact when done right you can get a lot of detail work such as finals
Warming up the barrel allows the pewter to better match the barrel flats . IE when the hot pewter hit’s the cold barrel it becomes solid to fast . However you can coat the barrel with a graphite pencil and get around the heating issue . The graphite helps the pewter flow better . However if your not careful you can still get voids in your pour and then have to start over.
This is a poured pewter nose cap I did some years ago on a dualing pistol
DSC00722.jpg

With alittle work you can also pour finals , tang inlays ….. You name it .
Here is a tang inlay that is poured pewter with brass inlay . This was also poured right on the stock
littlebearspistolmakeover006.jpg

here is a link to a quick tutorial i did on revamping a old Jukar pistol . it goes through the steps of how i pour pewter .http://www.tradrag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=506

As to your stock . What you have is in a since basically a CVA bobcat with a wood stock . Since you want to try and build a kit , why not just do that by restocking the rifle you have .. That way you can add the patch box your thinking of , have a cheek piece . Chose the butt plate design , trigger guard, side plats , nose cap …..
I used to do CVA restocks all the time .

start off with this
DSC00504-Copy-Copy.jpg

and end up with this

Picture031.jpg

maybe this , its really up to you
flatlandersbobcat005.jpg

Captchee. Is there a book or illustration/s one can acquire that offers such unique drawing/engravings to enhance one's stock or metal with?

Captchee

sure are . what your looking for is 18th century rococo and barouqu designs
Dover books offer several books . a search for "Rococo and Barouqu designs , Book" should bring up many .
these designs are everywhere though from furniture to buildings , fabrics , carpeting ............ you just have to train yourself to look .
inside those designs are other designs so once you start to see then you then can pull elements of the designs apart , mix match and come up with your own.
when it comes to engraving alot of the same elements are or were used . however depending on the time frames the way the elements were cut or how detailed the element where , changed . IE western bright cut uses alot of english scroll work . .
so if you do a google for "english scroll" you find thousands of diffrent designs

Last edited:

Tidewater_Kid

Captchee,

You do beautiful work. There is lots to learn from the link you posted. I would like to be able to do that kind of work someday. I did look at some starter kits last night and want to begin with that. I think I will start with that and try something more advanced if I can manage to make one of those look nice.

I found this site with some kits. I know Track of the Wolf has some more advanced kits.

https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/

TK

Captchee

Thank you
Myself , i would not recommend on of the assemblies from Track , Pecatonica , sitting fox ,Muzzleloader builder supply.... if you dont think you can tackle building a new stock for your existing rifle .
If the above is the case then you would IMO better of with something like a Lyman ,Trasditions or a Older TC kit if you can find one .
Here is a link to the tutorial I did on restocking a CVA bobcat , which again is basically what you have , just re named by traditions
http://www.tradrag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2377

Also if you go to the top and click on gunsmiths work bench , you will find this tutorial , which is whats involved in building one of the part assemblies . Reading through those two links might help you see what involved.

http://www.tradrag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=3196

I think you will find your little rifle will be a nice shooter . Take your time , find the load she like as and have fun . that’s what its all about

Tidewater_Kid

Captchee,

I have started reading through the gunsmiths work bench posts. I started looking at the restock you did on the CVA Bobcat. My early fear is taking a rough stock blank like yours and making it into something presentable. Haven't tried that before, but should be fun to tackle.

I do have two of these rifles. A percussion I built from various parts purchased on eBay and the flint posted here. I'm good with my hands, just don't always have the patience to go slow and steady. Working on that still at the age of 55!

I have shot both of them a good bit and really like them. I need to experiment with loads to get POI closer to POA.

Thank you for your words of encouragement and helpful suggestions!

TK