Nose Cap for Gary (Flintlock Rifle)

Tidewater_Kid

Well Gary suggested it and I thought it was a cool idea.

4V50 Gary,

Well it's not poured, but I think it looks pretty good. Hard to work on a already finished stock without messing it up too much. I had to cut it back about 3/4" to get the stock to match up with the cap.

TK

Plainsman-3.jpg

Attachments

• Plainsman-3.jpg
    Plainsman-3.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Looks good & well done! If you want to see another nice nosecap, look at the scene where Josey Wales meets Ten Bears. There is a fellow in the background (over Ten Bears' left shoulder) with a nice poured nose on his stock:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyPZFi2b380

If you want to get real ambitious, add a roundish steel patchbox.

Tidewater_Kid

Thanks Gary. The pewter cap was a fun little project. What I really want to do in the near future is get a kit and build a rifle. I love the patch box idea, but the laser engraved state outline and deer would make it difficult on this rifle.

TK

Box would have to go on the left side of the stock (unless that has laser markings too). The trouble with the patch box on the left side is that if your cheek goes there and it's winter, brrrrr!

The curve is easier to get when the nose is poured. When I went to the rendezvous at Whittington Center, NM, a couple of people wanted to buy my Spanish gun because of the poured pewter nose.

Pewter noses are easy to pour.

1) Shape the fore-end to the desired shape and drill some holes for the pewter to flow into (for hold).
2) Coat with graphite (get either graphite powder or use a pencil).
3) plug the ramrod hole with a dowel rod that has been coated with graphite.
4) Build a wood and paper dam around the stock and barrel.
5) Heat barrel and pewter and pour the molten pewter
6) Allow to cool.
7) Shape with file.

You heat the barrel before the pour so as to ensure that when you pour it is smooth and uninterrupted. Pewter cools off very fast.

BTW, big pours are easier than small pours.

Hawg

I'm curious about the placement of the dam to contain the pour. Just don't visualize it.

I use brown paper and masking tape to pour pewter butt caps and bolsters on knives. Just wrap it around tight to the height you want it to be. You may have to pack voids with something to keep it from going where you don't want it to go. Once it's poured you will have to file it smooth and to the shape you want but it files real easy. I poured these two butt caps.

Not too shabby for a first and second attempt I don't think.

Old Stony

I've not tried pewter, but I've done a lot of knives and tools using lead free plumbers solder. I think the procedures are probably pretty much the same and it's not tough to do. I use a piece of copper pipe with the end bent to keep the metal from running out the bottom, hold it with a vise grip, and heat it with a propane torch. I've always just used a dam made of layers of masking tape and it always worked pretty good.

sltm1

Damn, I wish I'd have known about this method 12 years ago.!!! I made a nose cap for my T/C Renegade by hammering out some steel.

Attachments

• TCForestock1.JPG
    TCForestock1.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 31
  • TCForestock2.JPG
    TCForestock2.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 21

Hawg

No I mainly just rehaft. I have reshaped some blades and made a few small ones out of saw blades. That one is an old German boot knife that originally had a boars foot handle but it had gotten in bad shape.