Normal for police to walk backwards from a stopped vehicle to their patrol car?

jmr40

I'm sure they have been trained to do that for their own safety. If you do it the same way every time then you won't develop bad habits. As soon as you trust someone and turn your back on them, that is the one that will shoot you in the back.

manta49

Wouldn't be a problem here the police never go on patrol unless there is at least two of them. One can give cover while the other deals with the driver.

kraigwy

Wouldn't be a problem here the police never go on patrol unless there is at least two of them. One can give cover while the other deals with the driver.

That isn't possible in many locations, I spent my 20 years in LE (Anchorage Police Dept.) working all by my self. Sure, if something happened I could call for assistence, but you don't do that at every traffic stop or other calls.

Ever heard of the Boy Who Called Wolf story?

Folk, something you need to understand, its possible to walk backwards with out getting hit by a car, (you can always glance up the street), its also possible to walk backwards with out tripping over items, regardless how rough the terrain.

Any decent shooting school that teaches movement while firing teaches you how to move your feet over uneven ground with out tripping.

Not that big of a deal.

Nor is it unreasonable to expect an officer to keep his eyes on something just in case it could turn out to be a threat. You never no where a threat will come form. Whats wrong with developing a pattern and sticking with it for your safety?

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Yeah, two man patrols are not at all reasonable in most places.

The county I live in is 715 square miles and we might have 3 county deputies and 2 state cars out there at any given time.

Alaska probably has areas 50 times that size with that many cars out.

Young.Gun.612

From my understanding of the OP, the officer only walked backward when returning to his patrol car at the end of the stop after issuing the ticket. Prior to that he had nothing to worry about, but once the ticket was written he may have feared a negative reaction.

manta49

kraigwy. Quote.

That isn't possible in many locations, I spent my 20 years in LE (Anchorage Police Dept.) working all by my self. Sure, if something happened I could call for assistence, but you don't do that at every traffic stop or other calls.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Its standard practice here because of the terrorist threat. At least two officers or more depending on the area. They will also decide on what firearms they carry other than their service pistol depending on what area they are patrolling.