Norc 1911

KyJim

I picked up a Chinese Norinco 1911 today from out of layaway at a LGS. I had always heard pretty good things about the Chinese Norinco, not to be confused with the lesser quality Turkish Norinco. Anyway, I saw it and liked the way it felt and liked how the trigger broke. It breaks cleanly at about five pounds. I checked the lugs for any unusual wear since this was sometimes a problem with the early guns. The lugs looked good so I came home with the pistol today. I haven't shot it yet.

As can be seen below, the pistol is a pretty good copy of a GI 1911 and is made 5100 forged steel. That steel is harder than the normal Ordnance 4140 steel used in this country. Sorry for the cell phone quality photos.

One of the improvements I like over the true GI style is the better sights. They are of the three dot variety and the rear sight stands a little taller and are a little wider than true GI style. But, they are still "in the spirit" of the GI pistol.

I took a quick photo with the Norinco and my Colt Anniversary Model. The Colt is a reproduction of the service pistol in 1918. As you can see, the trigger on the Norc is a bit shorter. Both are fine with me; I have smallish hands. The other feature that I like in addition to the better sights is the extended duckbill grip safety. It protects from the hammer bite I get when shooting the Colt.

The slide to frame fit is pretty good and the bushing to barrel fit is pretty decent as well. Finishing is so-so. For example, the grip safety is not blended into the frame and the rear of the extractor does not quite fit flush wit the rear of the slide. The blueing is in pretty good shape but it appears that it might be a bit susceptible to wear. But, at these prices, what can you expect? If it shoots well, it doesn't matter. It will probably be the end of next week before I can get it out to the range.

WVsig

Nice gun. Was it imported from Canada? They can still get them at very low prices last time I checked. Looks like a winner! Post a range report when you get a chance. I have owned a few over the years and always ended up selling them for one reason or another. Should have kept it lol.

KyJim

Yes, it came through Canada. If it reliably shoots FMJ with decent accuracy, I'll be very pleased.

WVsig

They always shot well for me. Not like a custom gun but as good as most production guns today up to about the $600+ level.

lamarw

Congrats on the NORINCO. I have yet to find one in a 1911 for a reasonable price. I own a Model 213 and do enjoy shooting it.

There is just something about the heft to it without being overweight.

AKexpat

Your Colt is a fairly true copy of a 1911.

Your Norinco is a fairly true copy of a 1911A1.

I have long fingers and do not like the short triggers on the 1911A1. I like the flat MSH of the 1911 and the trigger-finger frame reliefs of the 1911A1. I like the extended grip safety of the 1911A1. Long ago a friend had a Norinco like yours and it functioned well with ball ammo, but not so much with HP bullets, but as it is a GI copy that is probably to be expected.

Nice looking guns! If you ever want to get shuck of them, send them to me and I'll pay for shipping and all of the FFL transfer money. :)

amd6547

I owned a Norinco 1911A1 for a year or two. It functioned with the JHP's I tried, but I primarily shot ball. Also, I was using the hybrid lip mags from Checkmate.
Never a jam, and it was accurate...maybe a little moreso than the ParaOrd GI Expert I owned at the same time.

AustinTX

Very nice Norcinco! Congrats!

I've been wanting a Norc for quite a while, but I never see a nice blued one locally, and I'm wary of buying one without being able to check the lugs. GB sellers usually don't know how to take decent photos, and some of the asking prices are pretty wild these days, too.

SSGN_Doc

I bought a couple of them back in the 1990's, with consecutive serial numbers. "Loaned" one to my Father-in-law , to keep him from tading off a old Fox Sterlingworth Shotgun, just to be able to buy a pistol (he was being offered FEG .380s, Llamas, etc for the shotgun). He still has the pistol but has told me he will return it to me before he dies :D.

I traded my other one off.

Both were reliable and fairly accurate right out of the box. Both fed Hardball, Lead, and HP ammo with no problems.

Congrats on your find.

KyJim

I like the flat MSH of the 1911 and the trigger-finger frame reliefs of the 1911A1. I like the extended grip safety of the 1911A1.
Most of my 1911s have the flat MSH, all except the above Colt, a Colt Combat Commander, and now the Norinco. I just like a little variety I guess.

I'm wary of buying one without being able to check the lugs.
I'm not much on buying firearms without personally inspecting them first. I've only bought two --- one is a favorite revolver and the other is a revolver that had an undisclosed issue. I decided to keep it anyway.

Oops -- I remembered a third; a very nice SW Model 15.

some of the asking prices are pretty wild these days, too.
You're right. I've looked at Gunbroker and was surprised. I've shopped at the LGS where I bought this for years and, while they aren't the cheapest, they are fair.

AKexpat

Most of my 1911s have the flat MSH, all except the above Colt, a Colt Combat Commander, and now the Norinco. I just like a little variety I guess.

I put together a 1911 .22 using a Ciener conversion kit I bought back in around 1992 using an Olympic Arms frame and SARCO/Numrich/Wolff parts. It has the long trigger.

The MSH is a 1911A1 arched with a lanyard loop. The pistol is very light compared to a standard steel Government Model and I don't mind shooting it with that MSH. I have long fingers and the .22 is very forgiving insofar as holding/gripping it, and there is no issue about "weak wristing" this gun. (LOL) The Ciener unit runs just as well on my 1911 AMT Hardballer .45 lower.

shaunpain

Congrats on a great find! From my what have understood in my research of the Norinco 1911, they are highly sought after and very well made. I have heard a story that the Tokarevs (Type 54-1) they produced were made with repurposed railroad ties. Whether or not this is true, who knows, but I've heard plenty of people trashing cutters while working on Norincos. They are tough and there's no doubt about that.

KyJim

I have heard a story that the Tokarevs (Type 54-1) they produced were made with repurposed railroad ties. Whether or not this is true, who knows, but I've heard plenty of people trashing cutters while working on Norincos. They are tough and there's no doubt about that.
I've heard that, too, but it seems to be an urban myth. This post from another forum seems to have the ring of truth about it and says they are simply made of 5100 steel which is harder than the steel used in the U.S. It gives reasons particular to China as to why they can use this steel more cheaply than it could be used in the U.S.

lamarw

The NORINCO version of the Tokarev is the Model 213 I mentioned in my post above. It was made in Plant 66. I have found it to be a reliable and accurate pistol.

There seems to be a larger availability of the NORINCO 213's than the NORINCO 1911's. (also much lower price point) I do not know whether there were more shipped to the US prior to the ban or whether it is due to the greater desirability of the 1911 NORINCO.

lunger

I've owned on since before Willy's ban.I bought it as basis for a custom build that was popular at the time.It shot so well I decided against it.

I had Novak add the sights (I did have to pay extra for the cutter) and I added a flat MSH.

I have posted about it before as as a gun that shoots better than it should.

mr bolo

Norinco 1911

the only thing about the Norinco M1911A1 that was sub standard were the cheap red plastic grips that came on mine from 1993, I still have them in my spare parts box just in case.

fallingrock71

Damn you! Damn you all I say. I had almost forgotten about the Norinco 1911 I passed up in 95 at 200 bucks because I didn't want to take a chance on potential "Chinese junk." The one time I SHOULD have listened to the then unknown evil greedy gun store clerk when he said "Seriously, all you really need to do to it is replace the grips."

I really wanted to forget about that and all the SKS's I couldashoulda bought at 89 bucks :( Oh well, hindsight right

jrobin3360

My first pistol was a Norinco, bought NIB in 93, $250. Dumped the lame plastic grips & mags. Replaced those with a Hogue wraparound & a.few Wilson 47D's. Shot the snot out of it the first decade, then it sat in the safe for the next six (lack of time & funding). Since I've gotten back out, I've had a bit of work done it.
Nothing was broken, just wanted to dress it up a bit.
Before the dress up
96da212832c66b6d129733994b257863.jpg

And after
99dc9624b6dd35edeaedef6730f302d4.jpg

60d4c83c4287fe971f3c816fb2738920.jpg

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1417842512513.jpeg
    uploadfromtaptalk1417842512513.jpeg
    91.9 KB · Views: 21