No Help, But We'll Hunt...

I think I'd make contact now and tell them that the land will be closed to hunting this year. Some sort of "allow recovery" or other BS. No point in creating hard feelings, regardless of your justification.

Yeah, but if you lie to them and you don't really close the land to hunting, then you have to make sure than nobody else in the family knows the land is being used for hunting and you can't say anything about this year's hunting to anyone who knows the nephew and his father. Trying to cover a lie to avoid aggravation seems like a lot more hassle that it would be worth and you would still end up with the additional aggravation of both not letting them hunt and lying to them when they do find out.

Smokey Joe

O what a tangled web we weave...

to avoid aggravation you don't really need, I think I'd make contact now and tell them that the land will be closed to hunting this year.
...When first we practice to deceive.

hooligan1

Art, might be +1 on his idea. Just call em, tell them, "maybe next year fellas"!Then next year call and ask for help ONE more time, if they don't respond the way you feel is necessary to a good relationship, Then forget it!!!!:)

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
It didn't sound like Uncle Buck has a mob scene during the season. If others are involved as well as the nephew, there's always, "Well, just those who helped are gonna get to hunt." All I'm suggesting is that phrasing things gently tends to avoid future problems, or at least reduce them.

For me, that even carries over to the Internet: I'm not a Keyboard Kommando, either.

camper4lyfe

After my grandma passed away, she left over 100 acres of land to her kids (my dad, aunts, and uncles, obviously). Of the 5 (of 7) that were left, only 3 actually wanted the land (they live the closest to it). 2 of the 3 live adjacent to the property. 1 of these actually hunts. This uncle has buddies from work that hunt as well, and they've been hunting the land for a few years now.

Both of my uncles that live adjacent to the "family" land heat their homes with wood stoves, so they spend a lot of time cutting and splitting wood. My non-hunting uncle got sick of the buddies using the land and not "paying" to use it, so he decided that if they wanted to hunt, they'd have to do some work on the land; clearing trails, cutting/splitting wood, etc. To level the field, he told me that I'd need to do the same in order to hunt, and to keep the whining of the buddies to a minimum. I didn't have a single problem with this, though I haven't done any work there yet (I haven't hunted the land in a couple years).

I also hunt on land owned by an uncle on my mom's side of the family. I've repeatedly asked him if he wants me to do anything for him in return for using his land, and he's told me no. I HAVE, however, "paid" him with deer livers.

On a similar note, I use my wife's cousin's set up for processing my deer, and I use the deer heart to "pay" for those services.

In short, I'm more than willing to do my part in order to use someone else's land that they pay for and maintain. It's a small price to pay for doing something I enjoy doing.

Legionnaire

If I weren't so far away, I'd volunteer to help out ... just to give you opportunity to say there's a guy who DID who will be hunting the property! ;)

In actuality, I hunt private land up in NY regularly, and believe me, relationship is the key. I've cut paths, helped place posted signs, cleaned up trash, taught owners' kids to shoot ... it's all part of the relationship that allows me to hunt anually.

I think you should help your family understand the quid pro quo, but I'm with those who suggest an earlier rather than later communication. If they get resentful, you'll know what your dealing with, and good riddance to 'em. But if they "get it," you could win them back.

Uncle Buck

It is a funny thing that happened after I posted. One of our tenants, a young college kid, who always has time to say hello, asked if he might be able to hunt this fall. If he sees us carrying a pail of feed, or Mrs. Buck carrying groceries, he is almost always there to help. (His girl friend is the same way!)

Anyway, I was trying to fix a piece of broken wire and he came across the bridge and said "I'll pull that tight if you want to nail it." As we were fixing the broken wire, he asked if he might be able to hunt this fall and that he would be willing to pay.

Now I only have twenty acres here and I would never charge (I don't think I would) anyone to hunt it. I have gotten more work out of him in the last three months than I have in the entire family in the last two years. We took a walk up the hill and I showed him where I hunt and the paths that I had cleared and told him he could pick a place anywhere except where I hunt and he could have it.

He asked smart questions, such as "Whats in that direction?" and then wanted to know if he could walk the property line and the adjacent 40 acres I rent.

I decided to let him hunt because he is a real person who likes to help others, not just a once a year sort of guy. He has also provided me with a very good reason to let my nephew and his father (Brother in law) know that they will not be hunting this year. (By the time hunting season gets here, the trails are already cut, Neil has marked his tree stand location and an alternate location and will have cut two more trails and cleared brush from his shooting lanes.)

It felt good to rant about the family and listen to you guys respond. So thanks.

Last edited:

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
That is great news! YEP!!! Too small of a plot to have very many on it... looks like the place is Hunter rich for the season and with some good luck you and he will be deer rich at the end!

Brent

Legionnaire

Excellent! Thanks for the update. As I said, relationship is everything! Have a great season, and good luck to both of you.

imacanuk

I think you should buy a copy of "The Little Red Hen". The children's book where no one would help, and so the hen did all the work. When the reward was ready [the baked bread] everyone that wouldn't help wanted some, and the hen said 'No Way!'
So, get a copy of the book and mail it to your nephew. No letter, nothing but the book. when he calls to ask about hunting just ask him if he read the book. When he says he hasn't read the book, tell him to read the book and he'll understand your answer.

shafter

I would have given them a deadline. Cut the trails before xx/xx/ or you don't hunt this year. If its a good place to hunt you can bet the trails will be cut next year.

Dallas Jack

A friend of mine has sorta managed (he was the one the rancher held responsible) several deer leases over the years. He did 2 things. 1) Always write down the rules and hold everyone to them and 2) Always be up front and truthfull to them (the hunters). He had to kick several people off leases for breaking the rules, including cousins, nephews, and old friends . Kinda sucks but you do what you have to.

Since it's your land it's your rules. Good luck.
Dallas Jack

publius

You shouldn't feel guilty about not letting them hunt, and damn any hard feelings. They should be ashamed and this should be the end of it, no second trys next year, you wore out your welcome. The kid you are letting hunt is the way people should be expected of handling themselves. I always help somebody out if I can and don't expect anything in return, but some people would be surprised at the gains from helping someone when it isn't expected. This one time I stopped and helped this hot girl change a tire......:D