No Help, But We'll Hunt...

Uncle Buck

I have been trying for over a month to get my nephew and his father to come down and re-open the deer trails where they like to hunt. It would take them a few hours to cut the brush and then mow the paths.

I get all the answers from them ranging from "I'll do it later..." to "It's too hot." I never hear from them unless I call.

I finally gave up and just cut the dang things myself. (I am handicapped and have trouble getting around.)

This is the same nephew that does not like to clean a gun after it has been fired or help around the farm. I no longer allow him to use any of my guns.

Come this November when they call and want to know if they can spend the night at my house the night before deer season opens, I am going to inform them they are not hunting my land. (My mother and father use to own part of the land, and they would always allow them to come down and hunt. The land has been transferred to me now.)

How do you guys handle situations like this? Do you have people that you only hear from just before hunting season? Unless they are paying to hunt your land, do you find it acceptable for them to only communicate with you during deer season?

I am really curious and would like to hear your stories and input.

hooligan1

Hey man you got no obligations to let them hunt YOUR land!:cool: Why wouldn't they be tickled to help clear shooting lanes?? Hell that's cheap enough payment for hunting private land. I only wished I lived closer, I'd clear all the lanes, clean fencerows, cut the hay, bale the hay round up the cattle, etc. Every private landowner that provided me with an oppurtunity to hunt their land, always could count on my sweat equity!!! I wouldn't have done any less!!!;) Uncle Buck it's unbelievable, They'll miss out!:rolleyes:

Smokey Joe

Let 'em know...

Uncle Buck--I'm with Hooligan all the way on this one! They couldn't be bothered to help do the work, they don't get to help collect the reward! And you handicapped to boot--Shame on both of 'em!!

I'd give 'em the courtesy of a warning that they won't be hunting your land this year, well in advance of the season, so they can look for someplace else. That way they'll have one less thing to blame you for--and understand this: You WILL be blamed.

It's too bad but it's true: With family, you can be 100% in the right, and you may still be blamed for whatever happens to other family members unless you constantly bail them out of whatever difficulty they cause themselves. You just have to stand up for yourself and let the chips fall where they may, unless you are willing to constantly be taken advantage of.

Good luck on this one, and enjoy the solitary hunting on YOUR land which YOU earned! Or invite someone else, mebbe not family, who will reliably help you with the work!

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Unkie Buck, I am with smokey on the early notice...

Since you always call them unless it is the call for permission to crash your pad... I would make a call and inform them that this weekend is mandatory "work day" for those with permission to hunt. Also tell them to bring grillin' food for the lunch time break.

Inform them you have plans to clear more than usual and it will be an all day affair...

If they commit, COOL!!! Have them bust their ass in the woods making more trails, repairing stands, etc... then cook their food for lunch...

At the first himmin' or hawin' just tell them... "Lookie here, I done enuff to hunt the season just fine. Ya'll couldn't make yerself available, ya'll are basically lazy land moochers and you won't be huntin' my place this season." Tell them that next spring and summer will determine if they hunt next year...

Brent

Scout

I'd surely give them a clear, no non-sense heads up well before the season starts. That way there can be no argument later and any hard feelings will be on them. They are fortunate to have the opportunity to hunt on your land. I hunt public land and wish I had such privileges.

sserdlihc

Let me see if I understand you correctly. You are handicapped and have family members that like to hunt your land and won't come down and help with a little maintenance? Sounds like you have some family that won't be hunting this year.:D;)

Family can be a disappointment if you let them. But I like the idea that hogdogs said. Make a mandatory weekend or day to come and do a little maintenance to the land. It is alot cheaper than leasing land that's for sure.

Last edited:

doofus47

I"m on Scout's team.
Call them sooner rather than later, let them know what day you are cutting--pick a day that works for you--and tell them that helping setup is the price of admission for the season's hunt.
It stinks to have to be so up-front with people who should be volunteering their help, but it's what it is. I know of no hunting party that doesn't share the pre-camp/post-camp/in-camp work. Same when hunting a plot of land, I would think. At least they won't feel bushwhacked like they would if they show up and you tell them that you've given away their stand to a squirrel.

I have the opposite view than Scout. If there is worry about hard feelings, then that line has already been crossed once they repeatedly denied coming to help. No need to go to the trouble of contacting them in advance to let them know that they aren't hunting on your land. They have made it perfectly clear that they have no intention of being helpful. Heck they may not even be planning to do so and to call them up and tell them they can't might do more harm than good anyway.

They likely will call based on what you have said. Simply explain that the only folks hunting on your place this year are those that helped out and getting things ready for the hunt and that you look forward to their help and hunting company next year.

davlandrum

If I lived closer, you could adopt me! I don't mind brush-hogging, mowing and fixing stand for access!:D

They should be ashamed, but it doesn't sound like they would even get it enough to know to be ashamed...

Buzzcook

Give them an ultimatum about this year. Don't cut them out for the future. Let them know that they'll be welcome back any year that they help out.

let em eat fish

what? Ya got fishing too?:D

TheGoldenState

Bad situation. Ive delt with many a bad family situation. Personally, I wouldnt give them a "warning," call (but then again im not so polite when irritated). It is shameful that they wouldnt agree, willingly, to come help based on being family alone. Then you add in handicapped, and the fact they want to use you land. You said your nephew and his father-im guessing you and your brother arent close anyway?

Stand firm and let the chips fall where they may.

Edward429451

Hey man, they are your family man and that means you have no choice. Not only do you have to let them sleep over for opening day, but you better have thier caliber of extra ammo or loaner guns for them also should they so desire. That is family, family is helpful. And don't go getting anxious for thier help clearing the paths. Don't you understand thier busy and will get to it within 3 to 5 years? Family is patient. :rolleyes:

I hate it when extended family plays the family card on you and will not reciprocate. They have names for those type people, and it's not family lol.

orangello

My suggestion would be to explain that only those who helped you clear trails & prepare the hunting area would be welcome to hunt the first time THEY mention hunting your land this year. I would make a point of calling to chat about some other topic before the season starts to allow them an opportunity to make a timely request for the use of your land. When they whine, invite them to help you with the prepwork next year, and offer to put them at the top of your list for "invitations" to assist with the prepwork.

In graduate school, i had a buddy with aging relatives within 45 minutes of campus. Those kind-hearted people allowed my buddy to hunt their land and to bring a friend :D . My buddy and I agreed the first time it was mentioned that we would make ourselves available to help with any farm/fieldwork & such. We put up a little barbed-wire fence, cut down a few small, damaged trees, moved some firewood, etc. I felt bad that there wasn't more we could do to help them around the farm.

markj

Tell them it cost you 2 grand or so to pay a company to clear them trails for you, ask them if they want to "chip in" :) maybe they will get the big picture. If not , then go hunt and have a great time. without em.

crghss

That'd be the last they'd hunt with me or my families land.

We have work details to repair roads, clear brush, plant what ever my mom dreams up.

But these work details aren't a bad thing at all. I spend time with Dad & Brothers, have a good meal & few cold ones after.

I wouldn't waste a phone call to them. If they didn't get it by now I doubt that they ever will. You'll be the bad guy in their eyes but so what. They're not showing you the proper respect so how much respect should you extend to them?

If you ain't pitchin' in you're getting pitched out!

Last edited:

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
IMO, to avoid aggravation you don't really need, I think I'd make contact now and tell them that the land will be closed to hunting this year. Some sort of "allow recovery" or other BS. No point in creating hard feelings, regardless of your justification.

Xfire68

Uncle Buck, I am with you on this one! I am disabled as well and have a hard time getting things done at times and finding help is not always easy.